Lost Luggage CAUTION TO ALL

AA just screwed me up today.  I arrived home a day late thanks to them.   They gave me some miles but I know AA miles expire after 18 months and I don't like them enough to care.  United is even worst.  Might have to try Delta.  

Saw a lot of obnoxious looking luggage today and as ugly as they are they don't get taken by mistaken so I might have to do the same.  

When we retrieved our luggage at LaGuardia last fall, we had to show our luggage tag receipts to a security officer, who matched the receipt to the luggage tags.  It was fall break, and I don't know if they were doing extra checks, but that's how it was for us.  

Edited by keywest1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Yeah...I see those delays and long taxi runs can pad the numbers and slow things down. Luckily in the air time continues to be about 75 minutes though...they always pad the flight times to account for the "taxi for takeoff and taxi to the gate" airport runway glamour tours. DFW and O'Hare are especially well known for that. 😁 

But as for the topic...it's really a bad thing when luggage has to disappear on a flight. On our last long trip...we had 4  people fly from Atlanta, and 2 people start in Louisiana first and connect with us in Atlanta. All 6 of us them flew with a connection in L.A. (not a fund place to connect on a flight) and then go non-stop to Sydney, Australia. That's  2 checked bags per couple = 6 checked bags making the run. The same route was followed for the return 2 weeks later.

Despite the connections (2 each way for the Louisiana couple), as well as the 777 full of passengers and luggage...nothing got lost. Still, with longer trips or outside the continental U.S. borders...we not only rely on the air flight lost ticker coverage, but also have travel insurance coverage in addition. 

We also have visible, distinct, and easy to read tags whenever we travel. We can spot our luggage in a large post-cruise luggage area from 100 feet away.

With the luggage tracking systems and security control measures in place...there's really no good reason why anyone should lose luggage on a flight. Similar measures are used for luggage on cruises.

We always feel badly for anyone who loses luggage, especially on a cruise.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

20 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Unless I am reading that wrong, the take off to landing time was 91 minutes. 

They measure departure (push away from the gate jetway) to arrival (jet is parked) times for official flight duration times. They routinely pad the "on time" statistics to account for jet taxi to takeoff and after lending to the gate to account for variations in how long those things take on any flight. That's in place to help bolster "on time" performance reporting. The "in air time" can vary a lot based on wind and weather conditions.

"Think gate to gate". You can actually see it on monitors at an airport...the wheels touch down and the monitors report "landed", not arrived (it does once at the gate).

That's been the case for decades. What's the obsession with this in a thread about luggage?

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

What's the obsession with this in a thread about luggage?

In keeping with CC tradition, where threads go off on tangents, I was bored on a Sunday morning and looked up the facts. On average ATL-MKE seems to be about 90 minutes flight time. The example I gave was 91 with a gate to gate time of 109 minutes, unless you are saying FlightAware is wrong. 

On 6/18/2019 at 12:37 PM, Sunny Sailer said:

The best is to protect yourself by NOT PLACING LUGGAGE out the cabin door.  Money doesn't replace so many things.

You should never put irreplaceable things in your luggage that you leave unattended.  They should be in your carry on.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

In keeping with CC tradition, where threads go off on tangents, I was bored on a Sunday morning and looked up the facts. On average ATL-MKE seems to be about 90 minutes flight time. The example I gave was 91 with a gate to gate time of 109 minutes, unless you are saying FlightAware is wrong. 

So you totally missed the 1 hr 15 minutes "in air" time quoted in contrast to the 1 hr 45 minutes you posted in total flight time (gate to gate including taxiing on both ends). There is a difference. But that's OK...we're talking lost luggage. 

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

9 minutes ago, gaylemh said:

You should never put irreplaceable things in your luggage that you leave unattended.  They should be in your carry on.

Excellent advice for all travelers.

Most airlines post that on their website in their "tips for travel" for a reason.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

1 minute ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

So you totally missed the 1 hr 15 minutes "in air" time quoted in contrast to the 1 hr 45 minutes you posted in total flight time (gate to gate including taxiing on both ends). 

Read that one more time real slow - flight time “in the air” was 91 minutes and gate to gate time was 109 minutes. 

Just now, Biker19 said:

Read that one more time real slow - flight time “in the air” was 91 minutes and gate to gate time was 109 minutes. 

Good grief. Wrong. I was on that flight just 3 weeks ago...they announced "The flight will only be 1 hour and 17 minutes wheels up to touchdown", which is common on that one. So that listing you provided was total flight time, which includes taxiing time on both end. WOW what an obsession. Enough said. Give it a rest already. 

Lost luggage..the topic at hand.

Just now, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

I was on that flight just 3 weeks ago...they announced "The flight will only be 1 hour and 17 minutes wheels up to touchdown", which is common on that one. So that listing you provided was total flight time, which includes taxiing time on both end. 

This is the perfect example of:

1. Someone thinks that because they have done something a lot of times they are the authority on that subject. 

2. Human nature is to not admit fault. 

I looked at a few other  flights and the shortest I saw was 88 minutes (northbound)- again, you can argue that FlightAware is reporting wrong “in the air” times because that’s the only facts I can rely on. 

Biker, who doesn’t rely on what the crew says about flight time but his own watch. 

30 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

..they announced "The flight will only be 1 hour and 17 minutes wheels up to touchdown", which is common on that one.

Data from Flightaware for last few flights northbound "in air time":

SW4719 90 min

DL 764 97 min

DL 1103 89 min

SW5273 99 min

DL1182 91 min

DL1215 (went around a lot of weather) 114 min

DL764 (same as above) 104 min

Southbound

SW 4011 94 min

DL 764 93 min

DL 2539 88 min