Lost Luggage CAUTION TO ALL

We placed our luggage outside of the cabin door the night before The Anthem arrived at Bayonne on May 19,2019.  The next morning at the pier it was missing.  They could not find it and I asked if they check that passengers take their own luggage.  They said they don't have too.. not even airports check and why should they.  To make a very sad story short, it is a month and they said it was "lost," but I know it was stolen.  I lost all my beautiful clothes, pants, dresses, tops, bathing suits and all other personal things which are so dear to me and cannot be replaced.  I am so sad.  They will only pay up to $300 dollars for everything according to the contract we sign in order to obtain our ticket.  The luggage itself almost costs that amount.  They do not protect our belongings.  It should be stated that place your things out the door at your own peril.  I am giving a heads up to all.  Carry ALL your things off the ship yourself.  Has anyone else had an experience like this?  I  am sick over this... and I thought I should warn you all...so sad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sunny Sailer said:

We placed our luggage outside of the cabin door the night before The Anthem arrived at Bayonne on May 19,2019.  The next morning at the pier it was missing.  They could not find it and I asked if they check that passengers take their own luggage.  They said they don't have too.. not even airports check and why should they.  To make a very sad story short, it is a month and they said it was "lost," but I know it was stolen.  I lost all my beautiful clothes, pants, dresses, tops, bathing suits and all other personal things which are so dear to me and cannot be replaced.  I am so sad.  They will only pay up to $300 dollars for everything according to the contract we sign in order to obtain our ticket.  The luggage itself almost costs that amount.  They do not protect our belongings.  It should be stated that place your things out the door at your own peril.  I am giving a heads up to all.  Carry ALL your things off the ship yourself.  Has anyone else had an experience like this?  I  am sick over this... and I thought I should warn you all...so sad.

Sorry to hear your story.  My wife and I have always walked off the cruise with our own luggage at the end of our cruise to avoid any issues.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Sunny Sailer said:

Wow, I am sad to hear this! Royal should have done better, however I am not sure if they could do anything more. I am sorry you lost all you clothes, especially considering a $300 suitcase! I suggest next time you buy travel insurance, if you did not, and they SHOULD, not sure about that one, be able to reimburse you for a certain value. Once again, I apologize you had a horrible experience, and yes, definitely carry off your own luggage next time.

Sorry to hear this.  One time someone took one of our bags by mistake, but we lucked out that they were local to the port and were able to bring our bag back to the cruise terminal. If your situation was a mistake, it's hard to believe someone has not yet tried to contact you.

The important thing here is that they don't protect your belongings.  They just want to get you off the ship quickly.  They don't warn people that they are really not responsible for the luggage once they have it.

5 minutes ago, Sunny Sailer said:

The important thing here is that they don't protect your belongings.  They just want to get you off the ship quickly.  They don't warn people that they are really not responsible for the luggage once they have it.

I've never been under the impression that they provide any more security than what you see at the typical airport baggage carousel...which is to say not much, as anybody could pick up any bag and walk off with it.  Protect yourself with insurance.

Edited by 3CatsInMA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 3CatsInMA said:

I've never been under the impression that they provide any more security than what you see at the typical airport baggage carousel.  Protect yourself with insurance.

The best is to protect yourself by NOT PLACING LUGGAGE out the cabin door.  Money doesn't replace so many things.

• Like 3

Btw was luggage locked?  I know that the luggage can still be opened but a deterrent.  Some discussion about rfid tags for bags.  Rci tried it on the Quantum but they stopped doing it years ago.

22 minutes ago, Sunny Sailer said:

Sorry for your misfortune.  I have often wondered how often people inadvertently take the wrong luggage off airport carousels or cruise line luggage holding areas.

10 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Very sad story but obviously not the norm.  Unless you had thousands of dollars (cash) in your luggage it was most likely a mistake.  The people that grabbed your luggage probably left their bag behind. 

That's my suspicion too.  I doubt it was intentional.

Did you have a luggage tag with your name and contact information attached to your suitcase? I also print it out and put it inside my luggage. If it was a mistake and another person picked it up then they left theirs behind....should have been easy to ask if there was luggage left behind or have waited until everyone was off and then worked backwards....Hopefully they would have had contact information on theirs....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

How could the do better if they could do nothing more?

They reimburse a lot more! Plus it outweighs the cost considering Travel Insurance covers more than just lost/stolen luggage, so it is worth it.

2 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

Do you have homeowner's insurance?  Might be worth a call to your agent.....there is a chance you could have some coverage through them.

This worked for us when my truck was broken into and luggage and a briefcase was stolen from it last New Years eve.  There were a couple things that were irreplaceable due to their sentimental value but all our financial loss (iPhone, iPad, Mac book pro, clothes, suitcases etc.) was covered.  Home owners insurance policy covered just over $6000.00.  

• Like 3

On our last cruise they placed my suitcase outside of the wrong door on embarkation day. It was locked. The lady thought it was hers and that one of her family members had locked it. She had security come to her cabin and break the lock off. Only then did she realize it was not hers. She did come to my room to apologize. Not sure if she saw my cabin # on the tag or security told her.

3 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Did you have a luggage tag with your name and contact information attached to your suitcase? I also print it out and put it inside my luggage. If it was a mistake and another person picked it up then they left theirs behind....should have been easy to ask if there was luggage left behind or have waited until everyone was off and then worked backwards....Hopefully they would have had contact information on theirs....

3 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Of course I had many luggage tags with my name.  Also colorful ribbons and all kinds of things to designate that it was mine.  My name all over it and inside.  Stayed till the last luggage was taken and then stayed some more.  It is a month now.  Nothing.  It was stolen.

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

This worked for us when my truck was broken into and luggage and a briefcase was stolen from it last New Years eve.  There were a couple things that were irreplaceable due to their sentimental value but all our financial loss (iPhone, iPad, Mac book pro, clothes, suitcases etc.) was covered.  Home owners insurance policy covered just over $6000.00.  

Good idea! Would that still apply in this situation also?

10 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

That's my suspicion too.  I doubt it was intentional.

Agree. Sad that probably embarrassed to return it. 3yrs ago my son in law was joining me 2nd leg on B2B. He landed at airport, his bag gone but one exactly like his was left there. Fortunantly the guy called him and got it back next am b4 he boarded