Lost Luggage CAUTION TO ALL

44 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Woe is me!   I lost SOOOOO many treasures they are PRICELESS!  And $300 isn't enough of a price to keep me from complaining.

Stuff happens!  Who brings "personal things which are so dear to me and cannot be replaced" on a cruise anyway???

Right, who knows why? But they do!  I’m sure Sunny Sailor doesn't appreciate your criticism. I’m pretty sure about that! No one is judging what you do, don't judge her. She’s upset.   Shes looking for a bit of support and empathy.  Got any?

• Like 13

1 hour ago, marci22 said:

On our last cruise they placed my suitcase outside of the wrong door on embarkation day. It was locked. The lady thought it was hers and that one of her family members had locked it. She had security come to her cabin and break the lock off. Only then did she realize it was not hers. She did come to my room to apologize. Not sure if she saw my cabin # on the tag or security told her.

I would have asked for a free lock from the onboard shop!

1 hour ago, marci22 said:

58 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

I’m so sorry this happened to you and I have everything crossed that it turns out to be a genuine mistake that gets rectified x

If it had been a genuine mistake then the person or persons who took the wrong case would have returned it by now and their case would still have been left at arrivals and would look the same as the missing one. This seems to be a theft to me.

Edited by loveheart
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, loveheart said:

If it had been a genuine mistake then the person or persons who took the wrong case would have returned it by now and their case would still have been left at arrivals and would look the same as the missing one. This seems to be a theft to me.

I guess we should not rule out the longshoremen or employee of RCCL.  Res Ipsa Loquitor Burden of Proof. One cannot automatically rule out an Employee or Passenger mistake or not the suitcase is still missing. Until camera footage and the full investigation has been completed and no we are not just looking at onboard footage but footage from the I95 where the bags are offloaded all the way to the Port.  Yes there are some areas that do not have cameras.

With thousands of bags its very hard to  figure out who took the bag The warning I hear at airports from the automated system and from the baggage claim attendant after a fight has arrived is

"As many bags look alike please remember to check the bag tag before leaving the airport". And I do this. My  bag has  a portion of the handle that is red and is unmistakable. I look for a bag with something easy to identify. 

I have head of stories where people forgot which bag they checked and was spending hours filling out a lost luggage report only to find that hteir bag was sitting there all the time.

I was wondering do hallways have security cameras?    Its very hard to get the full investigation when the footage is not complete due to lack of coverage. 

Edited by travelplus

This happened to us a couple of years ago disembarking in Vancouver.  One piece of a matching two piece set was not in the waiting area.   First time in 13 cruises.  I searched and searched as more luggage was being stacked out, but it never came. The RCI person was very helpful in searching the aises with me several times as the luggage eventually thinned out to nothing.  She took a lost luggage report from me.  One week later without notice, the large suitcase shows up at our door via Fed Ex.  Inside of it was a RCI inventory sheet listing out all of the contents they saw in it prior to shipping it.  I am pretty certain it was taken by mistake and then returned to the port.  We were amazed to see it again.  It was the suitcase that had our dirty laundry and all of our Alaska souvenirs.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, travelplus said:

I would have asked for a free lock from the onboard shop!

They asked me if I wanted a new lock and I said 'sure' then they said I would need to be in my room for the guy to come down and fill out a form with me so for <$10 I said 'no thanks'.

Edited by marci22

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Sorry to hear this.  One time someone took one of our bags by mistake, but we lucked out that they were local to the port and were able to bring our bag back to the cruise terminal. If your situation was a mistake, it's hard to believe someone has not yet tried to contact you.

Maybe, it was me.:classic_biggrin:  This happened to me in Port Everglades.  I was so enrapt with my grandkids that I mistakenly took a similar looking tan bag. Went outside after clearing Customs, and noticed that it was the wrong bag.  Spoke to someone from RCL and proceeded to take the wrong bag inside the terminal.  Customs would not let me back in to get my bag.  I was told to hang around until all Pax had been cleared which was estimated at 2.5 hours.  I said I cannot as we needed to make our flight.  Agreed to have my bag shipped and it cost me $75--Lesson leaned--I now carefully examine my bags before proceeding thru Customs.

Ps.  When the bag was delivered by FedEx, I started to pay in cash--I was told no, it had to be via money order only.  Unbelievable, as I was not informed by RCL in Seattle of this.  He had to come back the next day as I had to go to the Post Office and get the MO.:classic_tongue:

2 hours ago, 3CatsInMA said:

I've never been under the impression that they provide any more security than what you see at the typical airport baggage carousel...which is to say not much, as anybody could pick up any bag and walk off with it.  Protect yourself with insurance.

Very true.  There really is no security at the pier and most airports.

I've also had my bag taken off an airport luggage carousel (look alike, by accident).  Fortunately that person was embarrassed but honest and called me.  Even brought it to my home.

9 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Maybe, it was me.:classic_biggrin:  This happened to me in Port Everglades.  I was so enrapt with my grandkids that I mistakenly took a similar looking tan bag. Went outside after clearing Customs, and noticed that it was the wrong bag.  Spoke to someone from RCL and proceeded to take the wrong bag inside the terminal.  Customs would not let me back in to get my bag.  I was told to hang around until all Pax had been cleared which was estimated at 2.5 hours.  I said I cannot as we needed to make our flight.  Agreed to have my bag shipped and it cost me $75--Lesson leaned--I now carefully examine my bags before proceeding thru Customs.

Ps.  When the bag was delivered by FedEx, I started to pay in cash--I was told no, it had to be via money order only.  Unbelievable, as I was not informed by RCL in Seattle of this.  He had to come back the next day as I had to go to the Post Office and get the MO.:classic_tongue:

Our bag was not tan, and the person who took the bag by mistake was already in their car on their way home to the Cocoa Beach area.  They had to drive back to exchange bags.

57 minutes ago, loveheart said:

Yes I do agree - was just hoping for a good outcome for the OP!

• Like 1

We are recently off the Freedom and while we were in our hotel after our cruise waiting for our room, there was a group of people who were in contact with the port/cruiseline/ship discussing how their bag that was put outside their room was not waiting for them when they got off and they were trying to locate it. I do not know what ended up happening for them. It was not settled by the time our room was ready.

I got on a ship for my first cruise, went to put my empty luggage under the bed and found 2 full packed suitcases! This was after we had left port. My steward arranged for someone to collect them. Somebody forgot to put their luggage out the night before!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Our bag was not tan, and the person who took the bag by mistake was already in their car on their way home to the Cocoa Beach area.  They had to drive back to exchange bags.

Bob, do you recall a few years ago there was a bag thread/post where the individual expected his/her bag to be delivered to their house and did not know that it had to be picked up in the terminal.  I believe this person was incensed that he/she had to pay to have the luggage delivered.

• Haha 2

The night before my last disembarkation one of my suitcases didn't have the luggage tag, the other had two, I took the bright red Velcro wrap around off and put it on the bag without the luggage tag. The bag that previously had the red handle was piled in a jumbled mess no where near my group. It took me about 15 minutes to find a black suitcase with a few hundred other black suitcases.

I ordered these from Amazon for next time, I like the RFID chip idea. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079RR2VTK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.1f5877a93ecf67dfad49b845eeb89955.png

and these

image.png.33bb928d4c7e950a90e2b68e56652a8e.png

and these

image.png.45326a7fe79002997f55af7d5307c2fb.png

To make it easier to find when misplaced or mistaken.

I think if it was a mistake there would be an extra bag around unless it went into the water during unload.

Edited by AlanF65
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Bob, do you recall a few years ago there was a bag thread/post where the individual expected his/her bag to be delivered to their house and did not know that it had to be picked up in the terminal.  I believe this person was incensed that he/she had to pay to have the luggage delivered.

No, I don't remember that thread, but I don't find that hard to believe.

I hate that this happened to you.  I am always a little apprehensive about leaving luggage outside our door so usually wait until just before midnight and we make sure all valuables are in our hand luggage we keep with us. No jewelry, money, phones,tablets, etc in the luggage outside the door. 

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Airports are a bit different. Most people arrive at baggage claim prior to luggage showing up. Getting off a cruise, luggage is waiting. 

the first flight I took I witnessed someone taking my luggage from the carousel and starting to walkaway. If I had not been paying attention who knows if I would have gotten my luggage from this person.

So sorry this happened to you but not sure what exactly you expect RCL to do.  If they have to monitor all the luggage people take when leaving I can see where prices will increase to cover more people helping.  I know we have had airlines lose luggage and never see it again.  With the amount of luggage they handle, both before and after a cruise, I am surprised there are not more instances of luggage being lost or stolen.

Really sorry this has happened to you. Thanks to CC, I have learned to always type out and put in my checked bag, an itinerary, Cell Phone # so if taken accidentally the person has a phone number to call. I also use a colorful luggage wrap with my CC name. There are so many luggage's of the same color  that for both the airport & cruise terminals it is good to have something colorful on yours

Guess we have been very lucky!  Have been on 117 cruises and unless it is a short 3 or 4 night cruise, we always check our luggage at the end of the cruise.  Have never (knock on wood) had any issues.  My luggage is locked and our names/cell phone #'s are all over it.  Also have cool looking luggage tags on mine.

Sorry to hear it happened to you

5 hours ago, gerif said:

Last time I bought luggage I looked for the most obnoxious loud color I could find. Difficult for it to be grabbed by mistake, especially when flying. Sorry you lost your clothing (and it might yet turn up), but anything personal or irreplaceable should never be packed in luggage. 

Bright colors and a guard dog works for us20180922_064809.thumb.jpg.4c532ae4e0edacad0cb0cabf48c3156b.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Sorry for your misfortune.  I have often wondered how often people inadvertently take the wrong luggage off airport carousels or cruise line luggage holding areas.

Several years ago we had a cruise from San Juan and went 2 days early because we fly from the Northeast and there were huge storm warnings.  We arrived in San Juan and my sister's luggage wasn't there.

The airline first tried to say she didn't check in early enough, even though she was at the airport a few hours before the flight, but the airport was very busy.  We saw one suitcase, similar to my sister's going round and round on the carousel.

We told the airline that we thought the passenger whose luggage was left there took her suitcase by mistake.  They said no way etc, etc, etc.  She was given an allowance for immediate needs and the airline gave no other info.

The next day she received a call from the airline stating that the person whose luggage was on the carousel had picked up my sister's luggage.  He would bring it back to the airline "at his convenience."  What???????  

He finally agreed to return it late in the day.  The airline couldn't care less about having him return it earlier.  He did return the suitcase, but he had rifled through the entire case.  I can understand if he thought it was his, opened it and saw a woman's purple coat, knew it wasn't his, but to go through everything and not even call the airline, to me, was despicable.  

He wasn't the one calling the airline to return the case, the airline called his home and there  was voicemail advising to call another number.  The airline tracked him down, he did absolutely nothing, but delay the return.

We learned our lesson to always go a couple of days early, so that if anything happens to the luggage, hopefully, it will still get to the ship.  So far, we haven't had any problems returning, but the last several cruises we have done self-assist and I am thinking we will probably continue to do so.