Vista Date Changes: How many of you would have trouble?

Lee Cruiser

Just curious:  With all the date changes on the Vista (now the next cruise embarkation is being moved from Saturday until Monday and won't return until the following Tuesday), how many of you would have trouble with getting off work two extra weekdays and traveling time?  I would be okay, but my wife would have problems.  So we would probably have to cancel.

Here is the latest:

Everyone on this sailing will receive an e mail about this soon but wanted to share it with you all

CARNIVAL VISTA
JUNE 29, 2019 - NOW DEPARTING JULY 1, 2019
June 19, 2019

Dear Carnival Vista Guest,
Carnival Vista is experiencing an issue affecting the ship's maximum cruising speed. Given this limitation, it was necessary to adjust the June 22 cruise to an 8-day cruise, departing on June 23 and returning on July 1.

The June 29 cruise will now operate as an 8-day sailing, departing on Monday, July 1 and returning Tuesday, July 9. We will be visiting Costa Maya and Cozumel, and cancelling our calls to Montego Bay and Grand Cayman.

Below is our revised itinerary:

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Mon Galveston, TX 4:00 PM
Tue Fun Day @ Sea
Wed Fun Day @ Sea
Thu Fun Day @ Sea
Fri Costa Maya, Mexico 10:00 AM 7:00 PM
Sat Cozumel, Mexico 7:30 AM 7:00 PM
Sun Fun Day @ Sea
Mon Fun Day @ Sea
Tue Galveston, TX 8:00 AM

We sincerely apologize for this change. If your plans can accommodate the extended duration and new dates, we will be providing the following:

The extra fun day will be on us, service gratuity included!

An onboard credit of US$200, per person, will be posted to your Sail & Sign® account, as well as the taxes, fees and port expenses for Montego Bay and Grand Cayman

A 50% future cruise credit so you can sail with us again*

A complimentary day will be added for any guest who has purchased our 7-day internet, CHEERS! or Bottomless Bubbles packages

A refund of any pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions for Montego Bay and Grand Cayman. The refund will be issued to the original form of payment and could take up to three weeks to process through your bank. Pre-purchased excursions for Cozumel will be automatically transferred to Saturday; please use your same tour tickets

Reimbursement of up to US$200, per person, for any air related change fees and charges related to the extra day of parking. Please submit your supporting documentation to guestcare@carnival.com
There is no need to reprint your boarding pass; you may use the same cruise documents.

We hope you will continue with your plans to sail with us. Our team has prepared a full program of exciting activities and entertainment, including some special events just for you!

We recognize the impact this change may have on your vacation plans. Should you elect not to travel, we will provide you with:

A full refund of your cruise fare and any pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions and FunShop purchases. The refund will be issued to the original form of payment and could take up to three weeks to process through your bank.

A 50% future cruise credit*

Reimbursement of up to US$200.00, per person, for any independent air expenses and/or change fees. Please submit supporting documentation via email to airreimbursements@carnival.com
Our team will be in the process of updating our reservations and web site to reflect the new departure dates from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM, EDT on June 20. During this time, there will be no access to your reservation.

We hope this revised itinerary and compensation offer meet your vacation needs. If for some reason you choose not to sail with us, we kindly ask that you promptly let us know by 12:00 PM, EDT, June 21.

Once again, we are very sorry that we are unable to deliver the full itinerary you expected and regret the disappointment this has caused.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard and are committed to providing you with a fun and memorable vacation.

For those on future sailings we will share any news as soon as we can

Again. Thank you for your understanding and patience and I hope those on this June 29th Cruise will sail and let the crew give you the best of times and the fun you so very much deserve

Cheers

Edited by Lee Cruiser

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Just curious:  With all the date changes on the Vista (now the next cruise embarkation is being moved from Saturday until Monday and won't return until the following Tuesday), how many of you would have trouble with getting off work two extra weekdays and traveling time?  I would be okay, but my wife would have problems.  So we would probably have to cancel.

Here is the latest:

Everyone on this sailing will receive an e mail about this soon but wanted to share it with you all

CARNIVAL VISTA
JUNE 29, 2019 - NOW DEPARTING JULY 1, 2019
June 19, 2019

Carnival Vista is experiencing an issue affecting the ship's maximum cruising speed. Given this limitation, it was necessary to adjust the June 22 cruise to an 8-day cruise, departing on June 23 and returning on July 1.

The June 29 cruise will now operate as an 8-day sailing, departing on Monday, July 1 and returning Tuesday, July 9. We will be visiting Costa Maya and Cozumel, and cancelling our calls to Montego Bay and Grand Cayman.

Below is our revised itinerary:

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Mon Galveston, TX 4:00 PM
Tue Fun Day @ Sea
Wed Fun Day @ Sea
Thu Fun Day @ Sea
Fri Costa Maya, Mexico 10:00 AM 7:00 PM
Sat Cozumel, Mexico 7:30 AM 7:00 PM
Sun Fun Day @ Sea
Mon Fun Day @ Sea
Tue Galveston, TX 8:00 AM

We sincerely apologize for this change. If your plans can accommodate the extended duration and new dates, we will be providing the following:

The extra fun day will be on us, service gratuity included!

An onboard credit of US$200, per person, will be posted to your Sail & Sign® account, as well as the taxes, fees and port expenses for Montego Bay and Grand Cayman

A 50% future cruise credit so you can sail with us again*

A complimentary day will be added for any guest who has purchased our 7-day internet, CHEERS! or Bottomless Bubbles packages

A refund of any pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions for Montego Bay and Grand Cayman. The refund will be issued to the original form of payment and could take up to three weeks to process through your bank. Pre-purchased excursions for Cozumel will be automatically transferred to Saturday; please use your same tour tickets

Reimbursement of up to US$200, per person, for any air related change fees and charges related to the extra day of parking. Please submit your supporting documentation to guestcare@carnival.com
There is no need to reprint your boarding pass; you may use the same cruise documents.

We hope you will continue with your plans to sail with us. Our team has prepared a full program of exciting activities and entertainment, including some special events just for you!

We recognize the impact this change may have on your vacation plans. Should you elect not to travel, we will provide you with:

A full refund of your cruise fare and any pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions and FunShop purchases. The refund will be issued to the original form of payment and could take up to three weeks to process through your bank.

A 50% future cruise credit*

Reimbursement of up to US$200.00, per person, for any independent air expenses and/or change fees. Please submit supporting documentation via email to airreimbursements@carnival.com
Our team will be in the process of updating our reservations and web site to reflect the new departure dates from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM, EDT on June 20. During this time, there will be no access to your reservation.

We hope this revised itinerary and compensation offer meet your vacation needs. If for some reason you choose not to sail with us, we kindly ask that you promptly let us know by 12:00 PM, EDT, June 21.

Once again, we are very sorry that we are unable to deliver the full itinerary you expected and regret the disappointment this has caused.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard and are committed to providing you with a fun and memorable vacation.

For those on future sailings we will share any news as soon as we can

Again. Thank you for your understanding and patience and I hope those on this June 29th Cruise will sail and let the crew give you the best of times and the fun you so very much deserve

Cheers

I know that if this happened to me, I would at first be a bit frazzled, as I’m a person that loves all my ducks in a row months before a cruise, and last minute changes stress me. But as a retired couple, the changes would not be a big deal to us, because we do not have to be back home for a job. The compensation Carnival is offering seems pretty great, if you ask me. I’d take that in a heart beat! But I’m not on this cruising, so it’s easy for me to sit here and say that it would be just fine. I just think that Carnival went out of their way to give a great compensation package. Now, my question would be, when do they plan to fix the problem and return to their normal cruise schedule for that ship? How many more cruises will be affected before the problem is fixed? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I know that if this happened to me, I would at first be a bit frazzled, as I’m a person that loves all my ducks in a row months before a cruise, and last minute changes stress me. But as a retired couple, the changes would not be a big deal to us, because we do not have to be back home for a job. The compensation Carnival is offering seems pretty great, if you ask me. I’d take that in a heart beat! But I’m not on this cruising, so it’s easy for me to sit here and say that it would be just fine. I just think that Carnival went out of their way to give a great compensation package. Now, my question would be, when do they plan to fix the problem and return to their normal cruise schedule for that ship? How many more cruises will be affected before the problem is fixed? 

Yes, the compensation they are providing does seem very good for those who can take the two extra weekdays.  I with you on the plan for a fix.  I am sure they have something in the works, but I imagine those on upcoming cruises would like to know more information on what that may be and when.  It just seems they keep adding days and making port changes to make up for the slow speed.  But at some point there is going to be a cruise that is short changed.

6 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Yes, the compensation they are providing does seem very good for those who can take the two extra weekdays.  I with you on the plan for a fix.  I am sure they have something in the works, but I imagine those on upcoming cruises would like to know more information on what that may be and when.  It just seems they keep adding days and making port changes to make up for the slow speed.  But at some point there is going to be a cruise that is short changed.

Agree! Something needs to be done. Possibly cancel one whole cruise (with refunds and a great compensation package) and fix the problem, rather then delaying it, and changing several cruises.

• Like 1

We just requested the full refund.  It's not that the dates were much of an issue other than the annoyance of having to waste an extra vacation day.  It was the drastic change of Itinerary.  Three straight sea days to begin the cruise?  And trading Grand Cayman and Jamaica for just Costa Maya?  No thanks.

Plus the idea of being on a less than fully functional ship...one, that I'm guessing is going to have a smaller and more subdued crowd...just kind of killed the excitement.   

So we're getting full refund and 50% voucher.   Now we just have to find something else...quickly.

We got lucky in that DH's boss allowed him to adjust his vacation time. So instead of being off from Fri till the following Sunday (I think that's when we were supposed to originally come in), he's off from Sunday through that Tuesday when we get back.

I know others aren't so lucky. 😞 One person in my FB cruise group had their wedding cancelled because of this. 😞

2 hours ago, Fballguy said:

We just requested the full refund.  It's not that the dates were much of an issue other than the annoyance of having to waste an extra vacation day.  It was the drastic change of Itinerary.  Three straight sea days to begin the cruise?  And trading Grand Cayman and Jamaica for just Costa Maya?  No thanks.

Plus the idea of being on a less than fully functional ship...one, that I'm guessing is going to have a smaller and more subdued crowd...just kind of killed the excitement.   

So we're getting full refund and 50% voucher.   Now we just have to find something else...quickly.

That's probably what we would have to do as well.  The 50% off voucher is a pretty good compensation, but I would miss the cruise that I had booked.  It's not always easy to move vacation time and get another cruise scheduled soon. 

1 hour ago, IPlayWithString said:

We got lucky in that DH's boss allowed him to adjust his vacation time. So instead of being off from Fri till the following Sunday (I think that's when we were supposed to originally come in), he's off from Sunday through that Tuesday when we get back.

I know others aren't so lucky. 😞 One person in my FB cruise group had their wedding cancelled because of this. 😞

Bummer for that couple.  Hope you have a great trip!

I’m not sure what I’d do. The compensation package is more than generous but I don’t think I could handle five sea days with only two ports on an eight day cruise.  However, with the sailing date being so close, I’d probably just go with the new itinerary. What a bummer for those who have had the affected cruises planned for a long time (perhaps a year or longer). I would probably be nervous on a ship that is having cruising speed issues, especially a newer ship.

1 hour ago, blarko said:

I’m not sure what I’d do. The compensation package is more than generous but I don’t think I could handle five sea days with only two ports on an eight day cruise.  However, with the sailing date being so close, I’d probably just go with the new itinerary. What a bummer for those who have had the affected cruises planned for a long time (perhaps a year or longer). I would probably be nervous on a ship that is having cruising speed issues, especially a newer ship.

Would not be able to do a modified itinerary. Work, pets, travel. Carnival is only covering the minimum 200 airline change fee, not the extra cost due to the last minute fare. I am not a fan of 5 sea days. Hence a reason we have done the cruise out of San Juan three times that has only 1 sea day.  Would have to take the refund and 50% off and beg American Airlines for a reuse of the tickets. 

I would be concerned for others, but it would be a big "win" for me. We are retired,with a flexible schedule, lots of time, and not a lot of money. The extra day, OBC and 50% off next cruise would be awesome. We also used Southwest Airlines, and they will allow you to cancel and rebook with no penalty, so that would be no problem either. For others, it might cause problems. I do  admire Carnival for being so generous though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just another reason why I am not a big fan of Vista.

Lol, did you know this was going to happen to the Vista?  So (among other reasons) you so not like it cause it had a technical problem.  That logic would know out the whole fleet  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Lol, did you know this was going to happen to the Vista?  So (among other reasons) you so not like it cause it had a technical problem.  That logic would know out the whole fleet  

Jim, you know as well as I do that if Vista was built with proper size lounges for the size of the ship, this would have never happened. That’s my story and I am sticking with it. 😊

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Agree! Something needs to be done. Possibly cancel one whole cruise (with refunds and a great compensation package) and fix the problem, rather then delaying it, and changing several cruises.

Unfortunate for some, but here is the repair news:

CARNIVAL VISTA

7/06/2019, 7/13/2019, 7/20/2019

Carnival Vista has been experiencing an issue affecting its maximum cruising speed. Unfortunately, we will be unable to operate the above voyages, as it is necessary to remove the ship from service to complete the required repairs.

We sincerely apologize for the unanticipated disruption to your vacation plans. We are deeply disappointed that we will not be able to deliver the cruise we had planned for you.

We will automatically process a full refund of your cruise fare, including pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions and any FunShop purchases. Please be advised that it could take up to three weeks to process through your bank.

We will reimburse you up to US$200.00, per person, for any independent air expenses and/or change fees. Please submit supporting documentation via email to airreimbursements@carnival.com.

Since we'd love nothing more than to welcome you back, we will be extending a 100% future cruise credit.* The credit must be used to rebook a sailing taking place before December 20, 2020.

Once again, we are very sorry for the disappointment this has caused and thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you on a Carnival cruise in the near future.

----------------------------------

I am sure there is a massive dollop of mixed emotion for those affected by this news. I am here to answer any questions or listen to your views and will make sure the right people see them too.

I hope that the complimentary cruise is one that you can book as soon as possible and please know that the crew on all our ships are ready to show you the best of times and give you the fun you so very much deserve
And that includes of course the crew of the Carnival Vista who I hope will be given the chance to serve and entertain you.

Thanks so much and again I am here to listen and to help you all I can.

I just saw this on JH’s page as well.  What a letdown for those who are planning their vacation on Vista those dates. The 100% future cruise credit is nice, but for those who have had their cruise vacations planned for months, maybe even a year or more, such a disappointment. Must be something major for Carnival to cancel 3 upcoming cruises. 

Well, I applaud them for finally pulling the ship from service to get the problem corrected. I know the disappointment of those affected by this cancellation are feeling, but it’s for the best. Let’s hope they can get another vacation planned as soon as possible using their credits. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure what I would do in a situation like this.  I'll admit, my first reaction was "those lucky jerks, why can't that happen to me?" But thinking about it further- I love sea days, but the person I travel with does not.  And more times than not, I'll be laying on deck with a book, he'll appear, and start chatting away, and we're very quickly both annoyed.  That's fine for a day or 2, but several in a row, well, I worry we'd be resenting each other, and that's no way to spend a vacation.  Also, I love planning our port days well in advance- changing ports would be fine with me, I haven't been to Costa Maya and seeing a new place would be great, but I feel I would lose the fun that comes in planning ahead and anticipating. And then there's the fact that  I hate spending money on drinks on the ship- so OBC to sit on deck with a fruity concoction would be awesome.  Adjusting vacation days wouldn't be a big deal for me, but I'm not sure if downsides would outweigh the positive (and there are a lot of positives).  Regardless, Carnival seems to be offering a nice package here, and I'm well aware ship happens and ports aren't guaranteed.  So ultimately, I think I would go and make the best of it, and just hope to book another cruise soon. 

EDIT:  I see some cruises have been cancelled- how awful for those people.  I was responding to the OP about changing itineraries/dates.  Obviously if the cruise is cancelled, I'd have to make the best of it and plan another trip  

Edited by purplephenom

Carnival just lost a family of five forever.  I called them this morning when I heard about every cruise after ours being cancelled and the 100% voucher being offered.  The 6/29 cruise is the one most impacted by this with the change of dates and subpar itinerary switch.  With only a weeks notice, we literally have no options.  Why should we get less compensation than those who have a month to figure this out and have alternate cruises to choose from?

The response I got was basically...Sorry, we think 50% is good enough for cancelling your family vacation.  To be honest, Carnival was never near the top of my favorite cruise lines.   This doesn't surprise me coming from them.

• Like 1

Been booked on this cruise for several months. For us it worked out well! My wife is a teacher and off for summer, I'm lucky to work at a University in the IT department and can be fairly flexible (plus i've got plenty of vacation) so just adjusted to take off the two extra days!

My MIL and FIL are coming with us - MIL is retired teacher (this is her retirement celebration trip) and FIL is self-employed to easy to adjust there!

I'm excited about the OBC and discount on our next cruise! We are a little bummed about skipping Grand Cayman, but we'll get it in the future!

Honestly I'm just hoping we don't have a ship full of sour/upset passengers and everyone can have a good time and relax! It's action after all!

1 hour ago, Fballguy said:

Carnival just lost a family of five forever.  I called them this morning when I heard about every cruise after ours being cancelled and the 100% voucher being offered.  The 6/29 cruise is the one most impacted by this with the change of dates and subpar itinerary switch.  With only a weeks notice, we literally have no options.  Why should we get less compensation than those who have a month to figure this out and have alternate cruises to choose from?

The response I got was basically...Sorry, we think 50% is good enough for cancelling your family vacation.  To be honest, Carnival was never near the top of my favorite cruise lines.   This doesn't surprise me coming from them.

Totally sucks for you guys.  I hope you somehow manage to get in a family trip this summer. 

1 hour ago, Fballguy said:

I wouldn't think of it as less compensation considering you can either get all your money back + 50% back for another cruise OR get to enjoy a great 8 day vacation and still get 50% back on another cruise! The others don't get the option of still enjoying their vacation. So it's not just 50%, it's 50% plus the cost of your cruise back if you cancel.

It does really suck for those with flight/hotel plans, but for me it's a great deal! We'll get $800 between the 4 of us to spend, an extra night of fun, and a good discount on our next cruise!

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Jim, you know as well as I do that if Vista was built with proper size lounges for the size of the ship, this would have never happened. That’s my story and I am sticking with it. 😊

I just laughed out loud....touche!

11 minutes ago, jakeawhite said:

I wouldn't think of it as less compensation considering you can either get all your money back + 50% back for another cruise OR get to enjoy a great 8 day vacation and still get 50% back on another cruise! The others don't get the option of still enjoying their vacation. So it's not just 50%, it's 50% plus the cost of your cruise back if you cancel.

It does really suck for those with flight/hotel plans, but for me it's a great deal! We'll get $800 between the 4 of us to spend, an extra night of fun, and a good discount on our next cruise!

It does suck to have things happen to your vacation, that said, you make an excellent point.