Behind the Scenes Tour

LLCoolDoc

Hello!

Does anyone know if the Breakaway offers a Behind the Scenes Tour? We were able to do one on the Gem two years ago and loved it.  Would be happy to take another tour on our next cruise in a couple of weeks.

Usually, you must sign-up by 8 or 9 pm on embarkation day (Day 1) of your typical 7 nights sailing.  Go to the Shorex/Latitude desks in the atrium & sign-up quick, or else - if they fill out, end up on the waiting list (usually on morning of Day 2 ... full sea day, when it was sailing out of NYC)  

Comfortable walking shoes with closed toes, no flip-flops or sandals/clogs  - for safety reasons. 

You can also call the CruiseNext desk on your first day aboard & if no one answers leave a message with your cabin#, name, etc.  We've done that & it's worked for us also.  As other posters have pointed out, however, do it ASAP; before the muster drill on Embarkation day if possible.

Tours for the Platinum/Platinum Plus guests are done on the first sea day.  They'll schedule multiple tours if they have a lot of demand and/or lots of Platinum/Plus guests aboard; our last BTS tour on the TA cruise on Getaway in April had two groups of 20 guests at 10AM.  The CruseNext person said they were scheduling more of them in the coming days.  I guess on a TA with LOTS of sea days they do more BTS'.

Enjoy your BSA tour!

Edited by tomk3212

• 6 months later...

Free tour on the big ships are now, a little longer than 1 hour, from longer walking distance in covering all 3 stops. Midsized ship is right about 1 hour. Make sure you wear shoes w covered toes & heels for safety reasons, or else not allowed to join the tour, usually in the morning.

Camera & video allowed except on I-95 and sensitive area as explained while touring.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We did the bridge tour 20 years ago on the Norwegian Dream. It was very cool and we've gone to the bridge viewing area on every cruise since. I'd like to do the BTS tour on our cruise in the fall, but I'm not Platinum. Is it worth the $79 if you have to pay for it? I've seen videos on YouTube. Am I going to see anything those videos don't show? Thanks!

2 hours ago, rwmartin said:

We did the bridge tour 20 years ago on the Norwegian Dream. It was very cool and we've gone to the bridge viewing area on every cruise since. I'd like to do the BTS tour on our cruise in the fall, but I'm not Platinum. Is it worth the $79 ...

NCL's ship today is twice the size of the Dream then, the mega/+ ships are tripled sized and one of the dept. is highly automated (not going to reveal that here to spoil the suspense ... hush) with a crew of 2 dozens, working in shifts, taking care of it all, amazingly impressive.  If you are seriously interested & nowhere near Platinum status, the $79 can be worthwhile - any OBC that you can apply against it ??   The PAID tour covers up to 5 stops, 2 extra ones above the comp'd one for Platinum & higher ... theater/backstage, laundry and gallery/provisioning ... and of course, the long/straight walk down I-95.  

I do NOT believe video & photos are allowed on I-95 and in certain restricted area, you only get to see it in person and of course, able to get answers to your questions as permitted.   On the mega/+ ships - Breakaway & Escape, we also get to pass thru quickly and peek inside the officers as well as crew's chow hall/rest lounge, and step into those oversized walk-in refrigerating & freezer units.  

Bridge tour is no longer offered, available or included at any price, for maritime security reasons on NCL - we've invited to see it as part of the CC's Meet & Greet on the Gem, back in 2012.  Of course, you can find out if the ship has a bridge viewing room & go there on sea days (dawn to dust only) to check it out (none on the mega/+ ships, only on mid-sized ships).

We've done about 6 BTS tours and learn something new, different each and every time; not just what you see or don't see - but you get the personal interactions, asks questions and get to hear real life stories ... and see how the servers navigate with trays, fulll of plated/covered food going up & down the service escalators (yes, for real.) to gain appreciation of working for a living. 

Edited by mking8288