CPAP on Crown Princess

Pacificlander

My husband recently started using a CPAP machine I so now I'm wondering what extras we need to bring.  Distilled water and an extension cord???  Does Princess need to be informed in advance?  I tried to search for this topic but nothing came up.  Thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, Pacificlander said:

My husband recently started using a CPAP machine I so now I'm wondering what extras we need to bring.  Distilled water and an extension cord???  Does Princess need to be informed in advance?  I tried to search for this topic but nothing came up.  Thanks in advance.

found this thread 

Someone answered with this

In your personalizer online, click on "accessibility and dietary requests " (Even though it really isn't either). There  you will see a box to check for distilled water for your CPAP. It should be there for you when you get to your room. If not, just ask the steward. We both use CPAP but find the air onboard ship moist enough not to need humidity so we just leave those units at home. less luggage. 

Edited by mrell345

You can go into your MyPrincess and request distilled water.  They delivered one gallon shortly after we boarded. I always take my own extension cord. Our room steward said it was a good idea I brought my own as they were running low.  This was on the Golden last month.

• Like 1

I use a CPAP and , as noted, Princess will supply the distilled water.  Your cabin attendant MAY also be able to supply an extension cord.  I've been lucky enough to get one every time I've asked.  However, I do bring a light weight one of my own just in case.  Ask your cabin attendant where to plug it in.  My last trip on the Royal, the cabin attendant showed my a plug that was hidden behind the bed.  I had no idea it was there and we've been on the Royal several times.  

Edited by PSCSkipper

Even if you don't request it ahead of time, your steward will deliver an extension cord & make sure you have distilled water on request. Still requesting it ahead of time is a good idea. Do not get upset if it's not there when you first get into your cabin, just politely remind your steward of your requirements.

24 minutes ago, PSCSkipper said:

I use a CPAP and , as noted, Princess will supply the distilled water.  Your cabin attendant MAY also be able to supply an extension cord.  I've been lucky enough to get one every time I've asked.  However, I do bring a light weight one of my own just in case.  Ask your cabin attendant where to plug it in.  My last trip on the Royal, the cabin attendant showed my a plug that was hidden behind the bed.  I had no idea it was there and we've been on the Royal several times.  

I would not want to use a light weight American extension cord designed for 110 volts. The plug behind the bed on the Emerald Princess was a European 220 volt plug, and I think it would be safer using the ship's 220 extension cord designed for 220 volts. You would need an adapter to plug your CPAP machine in to the end of the extension cord. My CPAP machine is dual voltage - you need to verify that yours is also.

I also took a 2-in-1 adapter to plug into the wall. The plug behind the bed that was most convenient for the CPAP was used for the bedside lamp. If you plug the CPAP in there, you would lose the lamp. By using the 2-in-1 adapter in the plug, I plugged both the extension cord for my CPAP and the cord for the lamp into the adapter, so I still had use of the bedside lamp.

2 hours ago, Pacificlander said:

Distilled water will be provided, just ask your room steward.  I bring an extension cord and multi tap plug so we can have other devices plugged in overnight and charging.  I have never found plugs except on the desk area, so you will need at least a 10 foot extension cord.

Before I retired, I worked in the CPAP side of my profession. I actually started when CPAPs were a brand new thing (don't even think about trying to figure out how long ago that was 😉) so a couple of suggestions:

Navy Veteran suggested to check that it's safe to plug your CPAP into a 220 outlet. ALL CPAPs that have been made in the last 10 years or so are dual voltage.

As noted, bring a lightweight extension cord for just in case.

Bring a small amount of duct tape to repair holes in the hose or whatever. You never know when you'll spring a leak.

Verify 3 times that everything is in the case. I can't remember how many times someone on vacation came into my office because they forgot to bring the cord (or the mask or the humidifier).

Bring an extra mask/pillows (again just in case).

And if the distilled water doesn't show up, just use the tap water...it's fine for a couple of days.

In case you haven't been told...CPAP equipment is NEVER checked with luggage. It is a medical device and thus (at least in the US, in other countries YMMV) is not counted as one of your carry-ons.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

My CPAP machine is dual voltage - you need to verify that yours is also.

I also took a 2-in-1 adapter to plug into the wall. The plug behind the bed that was most convenient for the CPAP was used for the bedside lamp. If you plug the CPAP in there, you would lose the lamp. By using the 2-in-1 adapter in the plug, I plugged both the extension cord for my CPAP and the cord for the lamp into the adapter, so I still had use of the bedside lamp.

I didn't know you used a CPAP?  Goes to show you how much I know.

I did purchase an adapter with multiple outlets from Amazon so that I could plug in my CPAP machine AND the night stand lamp).  You have to crawl down low to reach that plug behind the bed.  So much easier in a  Window Suite!  (sneaker-sneaker)

6 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

My CPAP machine is dual voltage - you need to verify that yours is also.

I didn't know you used a CPAP?  Goes to show you how much I know.

I did purchase an adapter with multiple outlets from Amazon so that I could plug in my CPAP machine AND the night stand lamp).  You have to crawl down low to reach that plug behind the bed.  So much easier in a  Window Suite!  (sneaker-sneaker)

Aloha from the land beyond.

PS....listen to JF.  She knows her stuff.  First time I traveled with my CPAP...I forgot a piece and I had a frantic time trying to replace a small part that isn't sold separately.

I am a very frequent business traveller and I do check my CPAP in my large luggage. It is in its' protective case and well padded by my clothes. Have done this many times without problems. I have to carry work data and forms and my laptop so in my case, it's worth it to check the CPAP. This can safely be done

We always bring one of these adapters when we cruise. It usually gives us more choices for my wife's CPAP.  I believe all of the ships have at least one of these European outlets under the bed, although in some cases you need to unplug a lamp.  Other ships also have both European and US outlets at the desk.   I know the Grand/Golden/Star do not have the extra outlet under the bed or at the desk (in an ocenview).  The Royal/Regal (and I assume newer ships) have one under the bed and at the desk. I never remember about the ships in between including the Crown. But, the adapter is cheap and lightweight so we always keep at least one in our travel bag.

https://www.amazon.com/European-Adapter-Schuko-Germany-France/dp/B004SY5O5K

_plug.jpg.5edc8018c11bea135daca0c4d4ec3e4e.jpg

3 hours ago, Clampram said:

I am a very frequent business traveller and I do check my CPAP in my large luggage. It is in its' protective case and well padded by my clothes. Have done this many times without problems. I have to carry work data and forms and my laptop so in my case, it's worth it to check the CPAP. This can safely be done

I also was a frequent business traveller for a few decades.  Considering how many times my checked luggage has been "delayed" for anything from a few hours up to 2 weeks, I would never check my CPAP when flying to a cruise -- especially if embarkation is within a day or two of the flight.  (Actually, I would never check a CPAP under any circumstances; besides the "delayed luggage" incidents, my checked bag has been severely damaged more than once, and another time -- en route to a cruise -- was soaked by water.)

Though a CPAP machine is not supposed to be counted (at least on North American airlines) against your carry-on limit, be aware that you are sometimes not allowed to sit in an exit row if you have a CPAP as an "extra" carry-on.  It doesn't matter that you don't need to use the CPAP during the flight -- during boarding you still may be bumped out of your reserved exit row seat to whatever (cramped) seat might still be available at the last minute.

John

Edited by J-D

4 hours ago, Clampram said:

I am a very frequent business traveler and I do check my CPAP in my large luggage. It is in its' protective case and well padded by my clothes. Have done this many times without problems. I have to carry work data and forms and my laptop so in my case, it's worth it to check the CPAP. This can safely be done

Unless your luggage gets lost.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mrell345 said:

found this thread 

Someone answered with this

In your personalizer online, click on "accessibility and dietary requests " (Even though it really isn't either). There  you will see a box to check for distilled water for your CPAP. It should be there for you when you get to your room. If not, just ask the steward. We both use CPAP but find the air onboard ship moist enough not to need humidity so we just leave those units at home. less luggage. 

Thanks for this info re: asking for distilled water.  Did not know this was an option.  

Re: plug ins.  There is a European plug in behind the bed - make sure you bring an adapter.  My wife hated using the extension cord in our room.  

19 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Unless your luggage gets lost.

In the event that my luggage is lost/delayed I am very much more worried about not having my work data with me and that is why I carry it........losing that means my trip is in vain.

Should I not get my CPAP and luggage, I know that I am OK without it for a nite or 2. In the last 3 years since I have been using CPAP, I have not missed a nite with it and I have travelled probably 40 flights each year without issue.

My wife and I both use CPAP, and we bring an extension cord.  We also bring duct tape with us to tape the cord down so we don't trip over it. Our room stewards have been surprised by this but never objected.  (I was worried about residue but it doesn't seem to leave any)

But that plug adapter looks like a much more elegant solution.  I will look in to that.

3 hours ago, Clampram said:

In the event that my luggage is lost/delayed I am very much more worried about not having my work data with me and that is why I carry it........losing that means my trip is in vain.

Should I not get my CPAP and luggage, I know that I am OK without it for a nite or 2. In the last 3 years since I have been using CPAP, I have not missed a nite with it and I have travelled probably 40 flights each year without issue.

Don't mean to start an argument...but...

If you're flying to a port to start a cruise, it won't be a night or 2 that you'll be without your CPAP. It will be for the length of the cruise and a night or 2 after that. It takes longer than one day to replace a CPAP (if you use insurance). It's tricky getting a new CPAP when you aren't at home.

It might be cost effective for you to look into a travel CPAP. Small enough to carry with your "work" and some of them are less than $500.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Don't mean to start an argument...but...

If you're flying to a port to start a cruise, it won't be a night or 2 that you'll be without your CPAP. It will be for the length of the cruise and a night or 2 after that. It takes longer than one day to replace a CPAP (if you use insurance). It's tricky getting a new CPAP when you aren't at home.

It might be cost effective for you to look into a travel CPAP. Small enough to carry with your "work" and some of them are less than $500.

I actually looked at one by ResMed  in my doc's office and while they are smaller, you still have the tubing and the mask/pillow..........also some people report noise with these travel CPAPs. Since we always arrive 3 or more days early for a cruise, I don't worry about going without for the duration of the cruise. I will re-look at the travel ones because that would be helpful. One of these days I'll just retire then I don't have to worry!!LOL!

Edited by Clampram
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if the Crown Princess has that European style, 220vac, plug under the bed? I am doing my planning on what to  bring on our cruise and need that information. We need power for a CPAP machine and two heating pads. I need to verify the pads are dual voltage to use that plug I know. We have an ME (mini-suite) cabin on the Crown if that might make a difference.

Also, if anyone can answer the same question on the Grand I'd appreciate that. We sail on her next year. I believe I saw in an earlier post that the Grand did NOT have the plug in an ocean view cabin. We will have an aft (not stern) BD balcony cabin on the Caribe deck.

Thanks ya'll.

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4
Notify me of replies

1 hour ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Does anyone know if the Crown Princess has that European style, 220vac, plug under the bed? I am doing my planning on what to  bring on our cruise and need that information. We need power for a CPAP machine and two heating pads. I need to verify the pads are dual voltage to use that plug I know. We have an ME (mini-suite) cabin on the Crown if that might make a difference.

Be careful, those "heating pads" may be against the rules.