Weight limit

bjfitz0703

Technically they say your bag should not weigh more than 50lbs.

I have not seen anyone actually weigh a bag.

There is no good reason to have a bag that weighs more than that!

It's better to have 2 lighter bags than to have one that is more than that weight.

There's not really an official weight limit, but a strong suggestion.  I don't believe the luggage is weighed - I've never seen it done.  But the weight limit guideline of no more than 50 lbs per bag is a good idea to follow for the sake of the porters that will hauling them around. 

I bring A LOT of luggage, but I spread it out over several cases, making sure each case is not too heavy.

From Carnival's FAQ:

To help you plan, we suggest you limit your luggage to a maximum of one bag per person, if traveling on cruises of 3-5 days duration, and no more than two bags per person, for cruises of 6 days or longer. In addition, you must personally carry-on any boarding documentation (passports, Visas, I.D), valuables, medications and items which require special handling.

Guests who are scheduled to arrive at the terminal before 1:30 PM, usually check their bags with a porter so they can be free to enjoy lunch on Lido Deck before access to their stateroom is granted.

Checked baggage service is only available until 2 hours before the ship's published sailing time (printed in the cruise documents).  Guests arriving after this time will be responsible for taking their bags on board.  

Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked. Oversized luggage and locked luggage may cause delivery delays.  

Personalized luggage tags are included in the guest’s Electronic Documents (available once online check-in is completed). It is not necessary to print the tags in color.

Carnival luggage tags must be affixed to your baggage prior to arriving at the terminal.  Additional tags can be obtained at curbside from the porter. Porters will re-tag any luggage tag with a TBA cabin assignment.   

Curbside porters are customarily provided a $1 tip per bag.  They are not employees of Carnival and should a guest experiences any problems, they must report it to porter management on site.

Since the screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage. Small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches, for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

Though the cruise line only has a recommended weight limit of 50 lbs per bag and a recommended number of bags I too find that 2 or more lighter checked bags and a very lightly packed carry-on to the ship is better. My own personal rule of thumb is; what is my personal carrying or lifting limit and which is the smallest bag(s) to accomplish this in.

My rationale is at least at 5 points in the vacation I'm going to have to pick-up or lower these bags from something that is at least hip height. Even if I use door to door transport companies with drivers that load and unload my bags to/from the vehicle and easy glide roller bags, I still have to lift the bags. These being off and up to the surface at home that I pack/unpack from, again repeating the same unpack/repack at my destination, not to mention having to place the carry-on(s) on a security scanner conveyor belt at the very least at the cruise terminal but perhaps also the airport. So do I want to risk pulling a muscle possibly causing discomfort for my vacation. 

With our 18th cruise coming in September we have reduced what we pack.  We over packed so much on our first few cruises.  My guess, the porters can tell the first time cruises by the weight and amounts of checked bags.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JMAE said:

With our 18th cruise coming in September we have reduced what we pack.  We over packed so much on our first few cruises.  My guess, the porters can tell the first time cruises by the weight and amounts of checked bags.   

This is a false assumption.  We are not all the same.  It is narrow mindedness to assume or imply that there is just one factor (number of cruises taken:classic_rolleyes:) deciding the amount of luggage a cruiser checks.  With my 15th cruise coming up, I pack just as much (in some ways more, due to trying to keep the quality and comfort of my cruise experience up in the midst of constant Carnival cutbacks).  I often see people on these boards bragging about how packing light shows they are an experienced traveler, as if they are in some way superior to those of us that "overpack".  This is not the case.  All it shows is that you are a light packer.  Many experienced travelers choose to not pack light.  It does not make us inexperienced or less "good" at traveling than you light packers.🙄

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

This is a false assumption.  We are not all the same.  It is narrow mindedness to assume or imply that there is just one factor (number of cruises taken:classic_rolleyes:) deciding the amount of luggage a cruiser checks.  With my 15th cruise coming up, I pack just as much (in some ways more, due to trying to keep the quality and comfort of my cruise experience up in the midst of constant Carnival cutbacks).  I often see people on these boards bragging about how packing light shows they are an experienced traveler, as if they are in some way superior to those of us that "overpack".  This is not the case.  All it shows is that you are a light packer.  Many experienced travelers choose to not pack light.  It does not make us inexperienced or less "good" at traveling than you light packers.🙄

Exactly what cutbacks has CCL done to cause you to pack more.

Like you said we are all different but I just curious.🙂

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Exactly what cutbacks has CCL done to cause you to pack more.

Like you said we are all different but I just curious.🙂

Oh, boy, how much time do you have to read the list?🤣

Here goes, off the top of my head (disclaimer: some of these items were added to the list after cutbacks years ago, so newer Carnival cruisers might not know that they were ever included with a Carnival cruise; also, some of these items weren't necessarily included before, but are on my list to try to make up for 😞 the results of cutbacks that I have experienced):

My Carnival Cutback Packing List

• king size foam mattress pad
  • assortment of good quality teas
  • chocolates to leave on my kids' beds after turn-down
  • good hand soap
  • lotion
  • individually wrapped butter pats
  • individually wrapped plastic drinking straws
  • Sugar In The Raw packets
  • small carton of heavy cream
  • cleaning supplies including Clorox wipes, bleach tablets, etc.)
  • food/drink tray
  • drink umbrellas (maybe - I haven't decided yet, but a boat drink isn't much of a boat drink without an umbrella, and my kids love them, too)

I know there's more.  This is just all I can think of right now.

1 minute ago, mdsgu said:

50lbs. But honestly, if everything doesn't fit in a carry-on, you have too much. 

That works for us too.  Don't think I've ever cruised (any length) with my one piece of luggage weighing more than 30 lbs.

1 minute ago, ShakyBeef said:

That's not a matter of honesty.  It's a matter of your opinion.

Sorry. It is my OPINION that if your stuff doesn't fit in a carry-on, you have too much. But, we just came back from an 18 day European trip, and each of us used just a carry-on.  😁

4 minutes ago, mdsgu said:

Sorry. It is my OPINION that if your stuff doesn't fit in a carry-on, you have too much. But, we just came back from an 18 day European trip, and each of us used just a carry-on.  😁

Good for you.

In my opinion, that is "roughing it" and I prefer not to rough it when on a cruise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

I often see people on these boards bragging about how packing light shows they are an experienced traveler, as if they are in some way superior to those of us that "overpack". 

I don't think anyone but you thinks someone is "superior" for packing differently. I am not superior, not bragging, just stating on a 2 week back to back, I used a backpack which weighed about 35 lbs. I dress very well and have plenty of changes. We have seen people on a one week cruise with 3 huge suitcases, definitely not necessary. When we first cruised we did grossly over pack and used 1/2 of what we brought. So in this sense, it is being an experienced traveler. 

35 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

We now pack all the items that were included in the gift/samples basket in the bathroom that was discontinued, e.g. razors, toothpaste, dental picks/floss, antacids, Breathe Right (copyright) Strips. 

10 minutes ago, coevan said:

I don't think anyone but you thinks someone is "superior" for packing differently. I am not superior, not bragging, just stating on a 2 week back to back, I used a backpack which weighed about 35 lbs. I dress very well and have plenty of changes. We have seen people on a one week cruise with 3 huge suitcases, definitely not necessary. When we first cruised we did grossly over pack and used 1/2 of what we brought. So in this sense, it is being an experienced traveler. 

Then you are mistaken.  I don't think any way of packing makes any of us superior to any others.  As I stated, we are all different.  It is all a matter of personal opinion, vacation style, and preferences.  And I most assuredly have seen bragging and superior "tones" here for years, from many (not necessarily here on this thread).

Who are you to decide what is "necessary" for someone else's vacation?  You don't know how much of the stuff in those "3 huge suitcases" those people used, or even if they felt the need for it all to be used in order for it to be worth bringing, for them.

I'll agree that in your case your "over-packing" was a sign of your inexperience.  But only because you think it so.  Do you understand how that works?  It's a matter of personal opinions and choices that none of us get to pick for each other. 

Edited by ShakyBeef
typo

Here goes, off the top of my head (disclaimer: some of these items were added to the list after cutbacks years ago, so newer Carnival cruisers might not know that they were ever included with a Carnival cruise; also, some of these items weren't necessarily included before, but are on my list to try to make up for 😞 the results of cutbacks that I have experienced):

• good hand soap
  • lotion
  • food/drink tray
  • drink umbrellas (maybe - I haven't decided yet, but a boat drink isn't much of a boat drink without an umbrella, and my kids love them, too)

You must be driving to the port . Nobody would carry that much stuff on a flight .

31 minutes ago, Sailor_Sally said:

You must be driving to the port . Nobody would carry that much stuff on a flight .

Correct, I am.  In a very large SUV.:classic_biggrin::classic_laugh:  We always drive to the port.  We've only flown to 2 cruises: our very first (Tampa), and our Alaska cruise (Seattle).

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

We now pack all the items that were included in the gift/samples basket in the bathroom that was discontinued, e.g. razors, toothpaste, dental picks/floss, antacids, Breathe Right (copyright) Strips. 

I always packed all that anyway (except BreatheRight strips), because there was never any guarantee of what particular free samples would be in there (even though several of them seemed to be consistently there).

2 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

• good hand soap
  • lotion
  • food/drink tray

No false assumption on my part, it was a joke that must have hit home.

I don't see them as cut back, I see them as changes, here are a few changes that I can think of quickly and I'm sure I will miss some: 

1. The Hub app
  2. Guys Burgers
  3. Blueiguana
  4. Big Chicken
  5. FTTF
  6. Ol' Fashon BBQ
  7. Mongolian Wok
  8. Punchliner 
  9. Waterworks
  10. Skyride
  11. Dive-in Movies
  12. Hasbro Game Show
  13. Serenity
  14. Sky Course 
  15. Drink Packages

None of the above items were NOT available when we first started to cruise in 2001.  I believe these changes add much more value than pillow chocolates, food trays and drink umbrellas.  But that is why there is chocolate and vanilla.  We are still happy with all that Carnival has to offer and will keep on sailing.

I just boarded the Horizon.  The port attendant who took our luggage did not weigh our bag and it’s about 52 lbs.  He was thankful that I already had my luggage tag on my bag and more grateful when I gave him a tip. 

12 minutes ago, JMAE said:

No false assumption on my part, it was a joke that must have hit home.

How could it have 'hit home' with me that "...the porters can tell the first time cruises[sic] by the weight and amounts of checked bags"?  I am far from a first time cruiser.🙄  

12 minutes ago, JMAE said:

I don't see them as cut back, I see them as changes, here are a few changes that I can think of quickly and I'm sure I will miss some: 

1. The Hub app
  2. Guys Burgers
  3. Blueiguana
  4. Big Chicken
  5. FTTF
  6. Ol' Fashon BBQ
  7. Mongolian Wok
  8. Punchliner 
  9. Waterworks
  10. Skyride
  11. Dive-in Movies
  12. Hasbro Game Show
  13. Serenity
  14. Sky Course 
  15. Drink Packages

None of the above items were NOT available when we first started to cruise in 2001.  I believe these changes add much more value than pillow chocolates, food trays and drink umbrellas.  But that is why there is chocolate and vanilla.  We are still happy with all that Carnival has to offer and will keep on sailing.

OK, great.  I'm happy for you.  But that has nothing to do with what I was saying.  I was asked by a poster what i pack due to cutbacks and I answered.  I never said that Carnival has never made any good changes as well as making cutbacks.  This isn't a Cutbacks vs. Changes thread.  It is a thread about luggage limits.  My posts were all related to luggage limits.  The question asked of me was relating to luggage limits.  And until this off-topic part here, this post of yours was about luggage limits, kind of.  It was actually a lame jab at me, but it could at least be considered on-topic.  What the heck does any of your lovely list of brilliant changes and how you feel about them have to do with luggage limits???