almost booked a last minute Carnival cruise

ontheweb

Our situation is that we generally go on one vacation during the summer. (DW is a teacher) And we have one booked already this summer, though not a cruise,. (It's a land trip to Peru including Machu Picchu which has been on our bucket list a long time.)

Anyway DW finished school earlier this week. She said it would be nice to do a short cruise before our late August trip. She really wished the cruise lines could do something like NY to Boston, which of course they are forbidden to do. So, she wanted something out of NY (no flying), short, and it could not include a Wednesday (don't ask).

So being a good husband, while she was out I called our regular TA and gave the parameters of what we were looking for. Our regular TA was on a cruise, but I got one of his assistants. And she came up with a cruise July 18th, on the newly renovated Sunshine out of NY to Bermuda. (It turned out looking at our history we had been on the previous incarnation of the ship, NY to Canada in 2008.) Our only choice was an OV guarantee or one specific OV on deck one. She put on a hold, and I waited for DW to come home.

When she got home she sounded interested, but then looked at the dates and saw it included July 21 on which we had already paid for a trip to Cooperstown including the Hall of Fame Museum and the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies including of course the great Mariano Rivera.  I called back and told the TA to cancel the hold. She gave a long and hearty laugh, and said she had never heard that reason before.

Oh well, it was a good try. And having read some of the things about how they made the ship overcrowded (and I do prefer smaller ships), maybe it was for the best.

• Like 1

I'm a baseball fan too, I would've done the same as you.  But, you tried- why not just stretch your Cooperstown trip into a longer trip somewhere, and surprise your wife, if she is done with school for the year and has the time?  And that's the end of my unsolicited advice. :-)  

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Our situation is that we generally go on one vacation during the summer. (DW is a teacher) And we have one booked already this summer, though not a cruise,. (It's a land trip to Peru including Machu Picchu which has been on our bucket list a long time.)

Anyway DW finished school earlier this week. She said it would be nice to do a short cruise before our late August trip. She really wished the cruise lines could do something like NY to Boston, which of course they are forbidden to do. So, she wanted something out of NY (no flying), short, and it could not include a Wednesday (don't ask).

So being a good husband, while she was out I called our regular TA and gave the parameters of what we were looking for. Our regular TA was on a cruise, but I got one of his assistants. And she came up with a cruise July 18th, on the newly renovated Sunshine out of NY to Bermuda. (It turned out looking at our history we had been on the previous incarnation of the ship, NY to Canada in 2008.) Our only choice was an OV guarantee or one specific OV on deck one. She put on a hold, and I waited for DW to come home.

When she got home she sounded interested, but then looked at the dates and saw it included July 21 on which we had already paid for a trip to Cooperstown including the Hall of Fame Museum and the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies including of course the great Mariano Rivera.  I called back and told the TA to cancel the hold. She gave a long and hearty laugh, and said she had never heard that reason before.

Oh well, it was a good try. And having read some of the things about how they made the ship overcrowded (and I do prefer smaller ships), maybe it was for the best.

My brother and father are baseball fanatics. That's why I have to search for dates the last week of August because of baseball, baseball, baseball 😤. I understand the importance of baseball, and trust me, Cooperstown is nice, but I would rather be in the sunshine of the Caribbean or Bermuda any day. 

P.S. There is a four-day August 15th cruise out of New York to Bermuda on the Sunrise. Could you make that?

24 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

My brother and father are baseball fanatics. That's why I have to search for dates the last week of August because of baseball, baseball, baseball 😤. I understand the importance of baseball, and trust me, Cooperstown is nice, but I would rather be in the sunshine of the Caribbean or Bermuda any day. 

P.S. There is a four-day August 15th cruise out of New York to Bermuda on the Sunrise. Could you make that?

Interesting, and I'll look at it, but that gets us back just before our Peru trip, so I don't think it will work. But, thanks for the suggestion.

1 hour ago, purplephenom said:

I'm a baseball fan too, I would've done the same as you.  But, you tried- why not just stretch your Cooperstown trip into a longer trip somewhere, and surprise your wife, if she is done with school for the year and has the time?  And that's the end of my unsolicited advice. 🙂 

The Cooperstown trip is an organized bus trip from a local company. (We know the owner.) It's already paid for including for out adult son.

23 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

I don’t understand your comment about the last week of August and baseball. The regular season doesn’t end until a month later and most pennant races are heating up by the end of August. 

Mariano Rivera is only getting inducted to the Hall of Fame once. I can understand why the OP would prefer to be there, since I assume he is a big Yankees fan. Cruises will always be available.  

7 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t understand your comment about the last week of August and baseball. The regular season doesn’t end until a month later and most pennant races are heating up by the end of August. 

Well, Labor day weekend there is no tournament in my brother's league. 

14 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The Cooperstown trip is an organized bus trip from a local company. (We know the owner.) It's already paid for including for out adult son.

gotcha.  Well you tried.  They'll be other cruises- Rivera only gets into the HOF once.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Well, Labor day weekend there is no tournament in my brother's league. 

I wondered the same thing as the previous poster as to why you were looking to go at the end of August which is prime baseball season.  But makes more sense if we're talking rec/travel sports- maybe they accommodate for families going away for the long weekend

• Like 1

Very interesting.

Once I wanted to go on a cruise and went to the  carnival website. I entered the dates and port and looked. I found one that was kind of interesting so I did a mock booking to get the final price. I didn't put a hold on it at that time because it seemed to have a lot of rooms left. I then went to work to make some more cruise money. I stopped to get something to eat on the wat home, and checked in again to the carnival website while I was waiting. The food came quicker than expected so I didn't really have time to go through the mock booking again so I left and went home. I must have been tired because I feel asleep and didn't think about the cruise again that night. I forgot about it the next morning and the next couple of days, but then the cruise urge hit again.I went to the carnival website to get some prices, and saw a really good itinerary on my favorite ship. I did a mock booking and found they didn't have any rooms I would like. I don't like to stay at the ones on deck 1 in the very back of the ship. Anyway, since that didn't work, I looked again and found they had the same itinerary a month or so later, and they had some rooms that were not on deck 1 and all the way in the back. I didn't have my credit card with me, but I did do the 48 hour hold. A day or two passed and I got an email that reminded me that they were holding my cruise, but not for much longer! I got my credit card out and was entering it but then realized my code on he back was orn off. I hten looked for my other credit card but I had left it in he dresser. I looked for it and couldn't immediately find it and was thinking i, was going to need to report it lost but then remembered it was in my bag.  I went and retrieved it and finished paying for it. When cruise day came I went and it was one of my favorite cruises so far!

I guess to make a long story short, if the first one you pick doesn't work out, pick another one and go enjoy.

2 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

I should add that I did say to the TA the cruise should be in July, so it's not her fault that she did not also mention the additional one you found.

Actually, it's the Sunrise that was recently renovated and renamed from Triumph, and is now sailing from New York.  The Sunshine currently sails from Charleston and was renamed several years ago from Destiny.

3 hours ago, Garth2 said:

Actually, it's the Sunrise that was recently renovated and renamed from Triumph, and is now sailing from New York.  The Sunshine currently sails from Charleston and was renamed several years ago from Destiny.

OP here, sorry if I mixed up the name of the ship. But hey, Sunrise, Sunshine, it's all rock and roll to me. (I hope Billy Joel doesn't sue me for plagiarism.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

OP here, sorry if I mixed up the name of the ship. But hey, Sunrise, Sunshine, it's all rock and roll to me. (I hope Billy Joel doesn't sue me for plagiarism.

He won't. I think his song was it's STILL rock and roll to me.

Edited by Lottacruises

11 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

He won't. I think his song was it's STILL rock and roll to me.

Wow, I'm really screwing up.

Just to show I'm not totally ignorant---John Hall (from the group Orleans) wrote the hit song  STILL the One. He later became a Congressman from NY state.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Wow, I'm really screwing up.

Just to show I'm not totally ignorant---John Hall (from the group Orleans) wrote the hit song  STILL the One. He later became a Congressman from NY state.

Now you have to worry about ABC suing you for using their promotional song from the late 1970s. 😊

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Now you have to worry about ABC suing you for using their promotional song from the late 1970s. 😊

Actually in the past John Hall sued the second President Bush when Still the One was used as a theme song at the convention in which he was nominated for a second term to stop the use of the song.