Laundry options on 14 day cruise

bobrxlex

cruising Solstice... we have had brand new cotton t-shits (3) and a pair of underwear come back with holes (maybe from bleach?) I won't send anything I care about to their laundry service.I also enjoy wearing newer under garments when on a special trip, like a cruise so...  no old undies for me!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pushka said:

We both had a less than stellar experience on a Viking cruise. And back to Celebrity for us both it seems.  We were both posting our experiences on those boards. Different cruises though, we don’t know each other other than on CC. 

To Laundry. I really don’t like paying so much just to have undies washed so they are a daily handwash item but everything else would go into a bag and come back nice and clean. 

My issues were with service, food etc. Pushka had serious issues as she flew all the way from Australia for an Alaska cruise.  Mine was just aggravation but hers were more costly due to distance etc. What a waste of time and money. Enjoy your Edge cruise. You never know who is reading your posts xo

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

My issues were with service, food etc. Pushka had serious issues as she flew all the way from Australia for an Alaska cruise.  Mine was just aggravation but hers were more costly due to distance etc. What a waste of time and money. Enjoy your Edge cruise. You never know who is reading your posts xo

I thought Viking was very high end. I’m surprised 

11 minutes ago, calicakes said:

That is what their marketing tells you.  I personally prefer Oceania but love X when timing and itinerary are right for us. X has always delivered.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, calicakes said:

It is and it’s the most we’ve ever paid for a cruise for basic verandah. The ship is beautiful, the cabins are excellent and the food is very good. We were on the first Alaska cruise last month and let’s just say they hadn’t worked out the logistics of their first Alaskan cruise. Even previous Viking cruisers were disappointed. And they didn’t exactly keep us informed when they knew there were issues. We had service issues from Guest services as well, and one of the restaurants certainly didn’t deliver in terms of service. 

But Viking does have free laundries which we used a lot with a four week land and sea cruise. 

Celebrity has always delivered for us and we know what they advertise is what they deliver. 

12 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

As the one who does the laundry in my household, it is quite nice to leave any and everything in the bag and know it will be returned the next day all done!

I consider it a perk of cruising, rather I pay for it or not.... usually I do pay for it.

You know how they say people can come up with statistics to justify just about anything they want to justify.

Let's say it would cost me $100 to send out all the laundry and dry cleaning I would need on a cruise.

If I book a cruise that costs $2200 (just picking a random number as an example) then it seems extravagant to me to spend $100 for laundry and dry cleaning.

But if the same cruise costs $2300 with laundry and dry cleaning included, that seems quite reasonable to me. 😁

Edited by varoo
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, calicakes said:

Wow, we need a lot more cruises before we're elite.  We'll only have 200 points after this cruise. 

20 nights in AQ would get you to 300, so you could easily do it in 2 cruises - although in the past you have apparently been averaging only 8 nights per cruise.

When we plan a vacation we budget an extra $50-75 for laundry on cruises or at hotels as we consider that a small luxury while we are on vacation. Basically that is the price of a bingo game or slot tournament and we would rather not waste time washing items in the sink except for maybe rinsing out a bathing suit. Realize that if you do handwash items there may be no place to hang them to dry. Some of the ships like Edge do not have clotheslines in the shower. We bring a couple of plastic clothespins to hang wet bathing suits on the balcony chairs if needed. We send all types of garments to the cruise laundry and have never really had anything ruined. Only a couple of times have some things come back really wrinkled. As someone mentioned, look for the tiny iron on tag the steward attaches usually by the inside collar or waistband.

11 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

20 nights in AQ would get you to 300, so you could easily do it in 2 cruises - although in the past you have apparently been averaging only 8 nights per cruise.

I just checked our account.  We have 120 points.  We've had 3 cruises on X so far.  2( 7 nights) and 1 (5 night).  Our first cruise was in 2012, I believe the points were different back then.  The next cruise is Sept 2019( 10 nights).   So we'll need 1 more cruise after this to become Elite. 

3 hours ago, calicakes said:

I just checked our account.  We have 120 points.  We've had 3 cruises on X so far.  2( 7 nights) and 1 (5 night).  Our first cruise was in 2012, I believe the points were different back then.  The next cruise is Sept 2019( 10 nights).   So we'll need 1 more cruise after this to become Elite. 

You would need a LONG cruise or a high-level suite to get there in just one cruise...

3 hours ago, late2cruisin said:

You would need a LONG cruise or a high-level suite to get there in just one cruise...

I know.  I have a cruise in September for 10 days( ABC"s) so I said I would need 1 more after this upcoming cruise.  This cruise should get me 50 points. 10 nights x 5 per AQ night. 

Ok, never mind.  I just saw that I need 300 to become elite.  I was thinking it was *only* 200 points. 

Edited by calicakes
wrong information.

3 hours ago, calicakes said:

I know.  I have a cruise in September for 10 days( ABC"s) so I said I would need 1 more after this upcoming cruise.  This cruise should get me 50 points. 10 nights x 5 per AQ night. 

Ok, never mind.  I just saw that I need 300 to become elite.  I was thinking it was *only* 200 points. 

Yes, I thought that was it. But cheer up- you'll be Select after this next cruise!

10 hours ago, late2cruisin said:

Yes, I thought that was it. But cheer up- you'll be Select after this next cruise!

Ok, so as a *select* member, I'll get a bag of laundry for $20.00??  What else will I get? 

I wash undies and delicate items in the sink and always take a clothes line to hang in the shower.  I found one with suction cups at each end which has worked well for 10+ cruises.  I try to select quick drying items when ever possible and only send heavier items that I am not worried about to the laundry.  We are often away from home for a month or more since we try to maximize our air fare with pre and post cruise stays and we don't want to have an unmanageable amount to luggage when travelling by air, rail or other public transport.  

• Like 2

I personally, do not like to overpack (my hubby says otherwise), and I also do not want to come home with dirty laundry.  The laundry service does a good job with a quick turn around and everyone comes back on hangers.  Worth it for us.