How bad is traffic for Christmas cruises?

miki76

Traffic in the port can be a little rough, especially the entrance on Biscayne Blvd. The tunnel is much better. 

Otherwise, traffic in the city is usually very light on the days before and after Christmas. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Flymia said:

The tunnel is much better. 

If one uses the tunnel, is the signage as to which pier for a specific ship clear and easily read by a driver with no passengers when you get to the Port?

HUGE signs but for the most part it doesn't matter as POM has all (save one) terminals in a row on one street ... not scattered about like port everglades or port canaveral

image.thumb.png.772d2e6a9760f1adb66532feb12c66e2.png

ORANGE = pass' terminal.  the tunnel lets you out just below "lot 2" on this map, heading to the right ..... but you will be immediately directed towards the terminals (you go straight to enter the CARGO port)

For the most part each terminal has its own associated parking ... RCCL new terminal A has parking in the same building. In nearly 40 years of cruising from or working in POM, can't recall lack of cruise parking spaces EVER being an issue.  Not that many cruisers drive in . . ..

https://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/library/portmiami-map.pdf

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, emory2001 said:

No worse than what you're accustomed to in Atlanta, but definitely big city traffic.

Have you driven in to PortMiami before? There is a tunnel that connects to the highway, outside of weekday rush hour, there is no traffic at all. 

Getting to Miami during the holidays can be a nightmare. The only routes going south are 95 and 75 and you not only have cruise passenger traffic on the highways, but all the people from up north coming to Florida for the holidays. We have experienced significant slow downs on both highways and on the FL Turnpike going from 75 over to 95. It's been awhile since we had to do that drive as we live in FL now near Tampa and maybe it's better now and we choose not to cruise during the holidays.

2 hours ago, BNBR said:

What's with all the fear mongering on this forum?  If an extra half hour of traffic is a "nightmare" and makes someone not even want to go on a cruise, then I don't even know what to say.  We do plenty of driving around the holidays throughout the State.  It's all of nothing to be concerned with and often less traffic, especially around town.  Now a hurricane evacuation, that's another story....

Please miki76, just drive normally.  You'll be perfectly fine.

Well said.  The post that said "cruise passenger traffic" is an issue is too funny.  Miami metro population is 6+million, I don't think cruise passengers have a big impact......:classic_rolleyes:

Newsflash - in an urban area of over 6 million there can be "significant slowdowns" of traffic pretty much every day.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BNBR said:

What's with all the fear mongering on this forum?  If an extra half hour of traffic is a "nightmare" and makes someone not even want to go on a cruise, then I don't even know what to say.  We do plenty of driving around the holidays throughout the State.  It's all of nothing to be concerned with and often less traffic, especially around town.  Now a hurricane evacuation, that's another story....

Please miki76, just drive normally.  You'll be perfectly fine.

Completely agree.  I have experienced more slowdown issues on I-75 in Knoxville and Atlanta than in/near Fort Lauderdale.  Miami:  I expected heavy traffic and I did experience that.  Slowdown issues, not really.  But, on I-95 it was the unsafe, erratic driving that I witnessed that makes me think far more than twice:  do I want to drive on I-95 towards/in Miami again?

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:42 PM, bouhunter said:

Not if you don't have to :classic_tongue::classic_biggrin:

95 is bad all the way up and down.  We drive down 95 toward Florida frequently and are always so happy to get way from I_95.  People do drive erratically on I-95.  I am sure it's that way on any interstate.  

Here's a tip.  Follow the same common sense driving you would follow anywhere. Your brain is not permitted to go on vacation until you board the ship, and even then it is best that you consider thinking and using some common sense from time to time.  If you don't know where you are going, drive more slowly, stay in the right lane (that is called THE SLOW LANE). I realize there are places where you have to exit the interstate from the left lanes.  If it all possible, if you know you have to exit from the left- get over there in plenty of time. 

Just be careful whatever you are doing.  Give yourself some extra time.