Confused

BruzrCruzr

I'm looking at a Baltic cruise next year.  It says it originates in Berlin (Warnemunde), Germany.  Since I know that Warnemunde is actually where the ship is going to be and it's about 165 miles away from Berlin, do you fly into Berlin and then Princes picks you up and takes you to Warnemunde - or are you actually supposed to make your way to Warnemunde and then get on the ship?  I can't seem to find anywhere the exact details for this and I'm confused.

If we take this cruise, we want to fly into Berlin early, spend a couple of days checking out the city before getting on the cruise.  I'd just like some details on how Princess handles this - if anyone here has gone on a cruise out of "Berlin."  Thanks!

You don't necessarily have to begin that cruise in Warnemunde/Rostock.  The primary launch port is Copenhagen and can also be St Petersburg.  This year, Princess was selling out of Helsinki and IDK how many of the other ports. 

I think you are smart to visit Berlin outside of the cruise (pre- or post-) because it warrants more time and you don't have to deal with half the day spent on trains back and forth.  

We did the Baltic cruise this June from Copenhagen.  After the cruise, we spent three days in CPH and then flew to Berlin where we had 2.5 days before flying home.  (We had planned to drive to Berlin, but shortened our trip - we had spent 2+ weeks pre-cruise also touring around western Europe). 

If you are determined to begin-end the cruise in Warnemunde, you could take the train from Berlin, but then how do you plan to return home after the cruise?  It's not exactly the best spot to fly to/from as it is a small community.

• Like 1

Firstly, nope, I haven't called Princess.  I just thought I'd shoot this out here to see if anyone had done this.  It was just confusing, as when we've cruised before, I've flown into the city we're leaving from (i.e., Barcelona, etc.)  This was unusual since the Princess site says "Berlin (Warnemunde)."  I think it would be difficult to fly directly into Warnemunde, so I would think everyone would fly directly into Berlin . . . and then???

There is plenty of time yet to decide.  I know there are two others along the same lines - from Copenhagen and St. Petersburg.  I just knew that the excursion from Warnemunde to Berlin would be long, so thought I'd fly in early and get that one out of the way first.  Just trying to pick brains here, everyone always is so helpful, give good tips, suggestions and feedback.  I would guess that folks fly directly into Berlin and that Princess arranges transport from Berlin to Warnemunde, but hoping if someone has actually gone through this, they might have further details.

We were going to go on a Baltic cruise this year (leaving from Amsterdam), but had to cancel.  Keeping my fingers crossed for next year!!

Baltic cruises also leave from Southampton. Princess state the departure port is London (Southampton) with London as the gateway and Southampton as the port, but they are a long way apart. In response to your original question, Berlin is the likely gateway and you need to make your own arrangements to get to Warnemunde - be it Princess transfer, train, taxi, etc. Berlin is a great city for a few days pre-cruise sightseeing.

We did this cruise two years ago and like you we spent a few days in Berlin pre-cruise.  There is too much to see in Berlin to just take the ship's tour down and back in one day.  That makes for a long day and we were delayed leaving Warnemünde because the Berlin tour was late getting back.  I understand that is a frequent occurrence.

We flew into Berlin and stayed at the Berlin Gendarmenmarkt Hilton.  From there it was easy to get transportation to Potsdam and Berlin attractions.  We arranged to pick up a rental car from Sixt right at the hotel and drove ourselves up to the port.  We had an alternative motive in that we visited some locations from where my ancestors immigrated to the US in 1857. We spent the night before boarding at the Hotel Neptun (Stasi Hotel in the communist era) in Warnemünde.  Nice little beach town and close to historic Rostock.

Dropping the car could not have been any more convenient.  The parking lot is right next to the cruise terminal and you just drop you keys in the lock box and walk the 50 meters to the entrance.  The drive was pretty easy and scenery on the way up was nice in its own right.  At one point we hit a road closure without a marked detour so we just turned left and let the GPS recalculate the route.  We went through a beautiful forested area with cobblestone roads where I looked for Little Red Riding Hood and my wife watched for the Three Little Pigs.  Hertz also has a rental office there if you have some preference for them.

After the cruise you can take a Princess transfer to the airport if desired.

• Like 2

We did this for our Baltics/TA several years ago.  Flew into Berlin several days early, stayed in an Airbnb, then rented a car and drove up to Warnemunde through small towns and beautiful countryside.  Like Retired Army says, dropped the car in a parking lot right next to the ship.  The roads were well signed and it was a lovely way to start the cruise.  There is also a train you can take, or Princess will get you there without the meandering and for a price.

There are a few departure ports listed this way - London (Southhampton or Dover), Santiago (San Antonio), Tokyo (Yokohama), Rome (Civitavecchia).

Post 7 is excellent advice. If you don't want to drive you can book a pre-cruise hotel package with Princess which includes transfers from the airport to the hotel and transfers from the hotel to the ship. You may also be able to just book the transfer to the ship from Berlin. If you just want the transfer it would be easier to book the same hotel(s) used by Princess. Work with your T.A. or Princess. There is also train service to Rostock. If you wish to take the train I would go the day before and stay in Rostock overnight. The easiest way from Rostock to the pier is by taxi. 

Notes: The primary embarkation port for this cruise is Copenhagen. Most passengers will board there. When we did this cruise a few hundred boarded in Warnemunde. There will be a special muster for those boarding in Warnemunde. You will not have to attend the Copenhagen muster drill.

We haven't sailed from Berlin, but have done so out of places where the port is quite a distance from the city where we stayed pre-cruise. In all cases, we have pre booked a private car to take us to the ship, and found it well worth the money. I'm sure this service would be available to you. Your hotel could probably set up transportation, or there should be info over on the Ports of Call message boards that would help.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BruzrCruzr said:

There is plenty of time yet to decide.  I know there are two others along the same lines - from Copenhagen and St. Petersburg.  I just knew that the excursion from Warnemunde to Berlin would be long, so thought I'd fly in early and get that one out of the way first.  Just trying to pick brains here, everyone always is so helpful, give good tips, suggestions and feedback.  I would guess that folks fly directly into Berlin and that Princess arranges transport from Berlin to Warnemunde, but hoping if someone has actually gone through this, they might have further details.

Just to be clear, as others have said, those "other" cruises from Copenhagen and St. Petersburg are actually the same cruise. The Baltic itinerary has multiple embarkation ports but for all of them, for the full circle (you can't cruise, for example, from Copenhagen to Warnemunde).

Taking the train all the way to Warnemunde is also an option although you have to change trains in Rostock. The Warnemunde train station is about a five minute walk from the pier Princess normally uses. I believe it takes a little over three hours from Berlin. https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml is the English version of Deutsche Bahn's website for researching schedules.

On 7/3/2019 at 8:28 AM, lstone19 said:

Just to be clear, as others have said, those "other" cruises from Copenhagen and St. Petersburg are actually the same cruise. The Baltic itinerary has multiple embarkation ports but for all of them, for the full circle (you can't cruise, for example, from Copenhagen to Warnemunde).

Taking the train all the way to Warnemunde is also an option although you have to change trains in Rostock. The Warnemunde train station is about a five minute walk from the pier Princess normally uses. I believe it takes a little over three hours from Berlin. https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml is the English version of Deutsche Bahn's website for researching schedules.

And I'll add there are direct trains (no changes) from Berlin to Rostock, travel time is about 2.5 hours.  Rostock to the pier is something like a 20 minute taxi ride.  The DBahn website is excellent, and easy to navigate in English.  One way tickets run about 25 Euro, tickets can be heavily discounted if purchased well in advance.  It's possible to book tickets in advance and collect them when you arrive at the train station, it's also possible to board the train without at ticket and purchase one onboard though you won't be guaranteed a seat.  German trains generally run on time and using them can add to the sense of adventure.

• 3 months later...
On 7/3/2019 at 6:41 AM, skynight said:

Post 7 is excellent advice. If you don't want to drive you can book a pre-cruise hotel package with Princess which includes transfers from the airport to the hotel and transfers from the hotel to the ship. You may also be able to just book the transfer to the ship from Berlin. If you just want the transfer it would be easier to book the same hotel(s) used by Princess. Work with your T.A. or Princess. There is also train service to Rostock. If you wish to take the train I would go the day before and stay in Rostock overnight. The easiest way from Rostock to the pier is by taxi. 

Notes: The primary embarkation port for this cruise is Copenhagen. Most passengers will board there. When we did this cruise a few hundred boarded in Warnemunde. There will be a special muster for those boarding in Warnemunde. You will not have to attend the Copenhagen muster drill.

When were you expected to board in Warnemunde?  Since we still have to do a muster drill, I would expect they will tell us exactly when we must be on board.  We are doing this next June.

In all of my experience, Princess takes no responsibility for getting you to the pier/dock unless you buy transfers from them.

Even if you buy air from them, but if you do not buy a transfer, there is a gap between the airport and the pier that is YOUR responsibility.  

How did you get the idea that Princess would be responsible for your transportation from Berlin (whether the airport or a hotel) to the dock?  Princess is also not responsible for your transportation from your home to the airport you are flying from into Berlin.  Or from the ship back to the airport after your cruise is over.