Symphony Cabin for Five

15 minutes ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

Traveling with three children (6, 4 and 2). Is a suite the only option for five? Seems like children could share sofa bed in a balcony. Other options?

Not three of them.

1 hour ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

Traveling with three children (6, 4 and 2). Is a suite the only option for five? Seems like children could share sofa bed in a balcony. Other options?

We’re a family of 5 and normally use 1K category rooms. They have bunk beds along with a sofa bed and queen bed. With the ages of your kids they are too young for top bunk but maybe the other two could share the sofa. 

there are family cabins in  several categories( oceanviw, promenade  etc)  .   but you have to call or use a TA.   the cabins that hold five  cannot be booked online.  

you can also get connecting cabins sometimes cheaper than one  of the suites or family cabins. 

3 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

On Harmony and Symphony you are limited to family cabins and suites that command a premium.  Depending on what time of year you are travelling the Kids Sail Free that they run fairly often could help with the price.

You could consider Oasis or Allure  (Oasis will be fresh out of a huge drydock this fall)  as both of those ships have a fair number of regular cabins that do hold 5.  They have a sofabed as well as a Pullman.  You still must call Royal to book these as you can’t book any cabin for more than 4 on the website.  On the deckplans  look for cabins that have a solid black diamond as the symbol in the room.

2 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

We’re a family of 5 and normally use 1K category rooms. They have bunk beds along with a sofa bed and queen bed. With the ages of your kids they are too young for top bunk but maybe the other two could share the sofa. 

My son slept in the top bunk at 3yo and 4yo -- he loved it.  

It does have a railing, you know.....

42 minutes ago, brillohead said:

My son slept in the top bunk at 3yo and 4yo -- he loved it.  

It does have a railing, you know.....

They have partial rails. At 5, my son could be found in any part of the bed so I wouldn’t trust the partial rails to stop him from a fall of approx 5 feet. 

I believe the RC position is that the top bunk is for ages 7 and up. 

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

They have partial rails. At 5, my son could be found in any part of the bed so I wouldn’t trust the partial rails to stop him from a fall of approx 5 feet. 

I believe the RC position is that the top bunk is for ages 7 and up. 

There are additional railings that can be added... even a pool noodle under the fitted sheet creates a bumper.  

My son often fell out of bed at home with no railing (and didn't even wake up when he hit the floor with a THUD!), but never did on a cruise bunk.  

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

On Harmony and Symphony you are limited to family cabins and suites that command a premium.  Depending on what time of year you are travelling the Kids Sail Free that they run fairly often could help with the price.

You could consider Oasis or Allure  (Oasis will be fresh out of a huge drydock this fall)  as both of those ships have a fair number of regular cabins that do hold 5.  They have a sofabed as well as a Pullman.  You still must call Royal to book these as you can’t book any cabin for more than 4 on the website.  On the deckplans  look for cabins that have a solid black diamond as the symbol in the room.

This is for October, 2020. Hoping for KSF, but want to book now for best selection.

When we started sailing with our daughters, they were 3, 5 and 7. My husband stayed with the older two in an interior cabin and I stayed with the youngest in a balcony cabin right across the hall from them. The benefits are two bathrooms, access to a balcony and the interior cabin offers a nice dark cabin for naps. We have also done interior connecting cabins and balcony connecting cabins. Hope that helps!

On 7/6/2019 at 2:24 PM, nalrudaini said:

7730 should be perfect for you. 

2 of the kids can share the sofa bed, and the 3rd takes the lower bunk.  Sleeping on the floor is an option. Stateroom attendant can set it up for you. 

On 7/6/2019 at 2:24 PM, nalrudaini said:

Will the stateroom attendant set up a mattress on the floor if we ask?  We have 2 big teenagers  that wouldn’t sleep comfortably together on the sofa bed. We were thinking we might need to bring an air mattress.  If the attendant can & will do that, that saves us some trouble. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, laginog said:

Will the stateroom attendant set up a mattress on the floor if we ask?  We have 2 big teenagers  that wouldn’t sleep comfortably together on the sofa bed. We were thinking we might need to bring an air mattress.  If the attendant can & will do that, that saves us some trouble. Thank you!

our attendant on Oasis last year did that our last 2 or 3 nights.

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

pullman bed warning label.jpg

Wasn't on Royal.  Stateroom attendant had no problem on either line with my son in the top bunk.  Even made a point of tucking in my son's teddy bear when making the bed.