Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
swdke

Rome Termini station to Civitavecchia by train with luggage?

Recommended Posts

Interested in spending a few nights in Rome prior to cruise out of Civitavecchia.  Planning to arrive Civitavecchia the afternoon before the cruise.  I see that there are a variety of train options from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia, but need a train with adequate space for luggage.  We won't be traveling with a lot of luggage, probably just one regular size checked luggage and a carry on.  But some trains according to some YouTube videos seem to have limited space for luggage which seems odd.  Any suggestions, recommendations, and advice?  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The regional ("regionale" or "regionale veloce") trains between Rome and Civitavecchia are mainly for commuters to and from the city. Sort of like an urban metro line you might find in NY or other large cities. Thus, having room for luggage is really secondary on these trains. There is SOME room, but not lots. Nevertheless, many people manage to use them to get to the ship.

 

You are more likely to find room on the fast trains with limited stops (e.g., Frecciabianca), of which there are only a few daily. They are more expensive and have assigned seats. There are usually luggage racks at each end of each rail car, although not all rolling stock is the same and you may have some cars only have storage at one end, and also some cars have storage in the middle. There are racks above the seats but larger bags definitely will not fit there. (At most you might get a 22" bag to fit, if it is not too wide...).  Also, on some trains you can fit a larger suitcase in between two banks of seats like this:

 

image.png.0e985b1822bc75bdecbc419049024760.png

 

As of now, there are Frecciabianca trains from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia that depart at 11:57 am (and arrive at 12:44 pm) and 1:57 pm (arriving 2:44 pm) -- one of those options might work for you.

 

If I might make a suggestion -- there is really no reason to leave Rome early and stay at the port the night before. You have plenty of time the next day to get there and it is only about an hour away. Why go through the hassle of an interim move?  (Especially as Civitavecchia isn't that charming....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 to staying the last night in Rome.

 

However, give yourself plenty of time to get to the train platform in Termini, it's huge and we waaaay underestimated the time required.  We ended up running with all of our bags, which attracted a young "helper", who followed us on to the train.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the opposite problem.  We are ending a cruise in Civitavecchia and will be spending a week or so traveling in Italy. Ideally we’d like to go to the Amalfi coast (Sorrento).  How do we get there with all our luggage.  We’ll each have a large rolling bag and a carryon rolling bag.  If necessary we will go to Rome first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You also have the option of the bus, which avoids the problem with stowing and worrying about luggage on the train as well as the hassle of the steps at the Civitavecchia station and how to get to the port entrance from there.

 

On the Rome end taking the bus requires a metro ride to the Cornelia station and a 550 meter/one third of a mile walk to the Cotral Cornelia depot.  This is the same distance you'd walk at Termini to reach the Lazio regional tracks, for comparison.

 

At Civitavecchia the stop, called Porto Tarquinia (Civitavecchia), is diagonally across the street from the port shuttle bus stop.

 

The bus ride takes 90 minutes and costs 3,90 euro.

 

There is a bus at 9:30 AM that arrives to the port at 11 AM.

 

https://servizi.cotralspa.it/PercorsiTariffe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, SharonK said:

I have the opposite problem.  We are ending a cruise in Civitavecchia and will be spending a week or so traveling in Italy. Ideally we’d like to go to the Amalfi coast (Sorrento).  How do we get there with all our luggage.  We’ll each have a large rolling bag and a carryon rolling bag.  If necessary we will go to Rome first.

 

Using public transit there's no way that I know of to get to Sorrento without going through Rome.  If you want to travel entirely by train you must also go through Naples.  You can avoid Naples by taking a bus from Rome to Sorrento but it's a long (four hour) ride.

 

My preferred ride in this situation is the IC (Intercity) train.  These are older trains that travel slower than the Frecce but faster than the Regionale.  These are the only trains in Italy that I pay the extra for first class, because it is a more comfortable space and quite different from second class seating.  The IC from Civitavecchia to Naples stops in Rome (at Ostiense) but you don't get off or change trains.  This train takes the coastal route so for a few minutes near Gaeta you'll have some sea views.

 

There is an IC at 9:24 from Civitavecchia which would be easy to catch, assuming a normal arrival time in Civitavecchia.  This train takes just over three hours to reach Naples, where you'd either switch to a local train or take a car service to your accommodations in Sorrento.

 

Edited by euro cruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the luggage storage situation on Intercity trains? Don't see any storage areas on the Trenitalia maps, which doesn't mean there aren't any of course, but.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In first class it's compartments with luggage racks above the seats.  Even pretty large suitcases can fit up there, although one time when the train was really crowded the last people into our compartment (they seat six) left their large bag in the corridor.  The inside walls of the compartment are glass so they could see it the entire time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 2:14 PM, euro cruiser said:

You also have the option of the bus, which avoids the problem with stowing and worrying about luggage on the train as well as the hassle of the steps at the Civitavecchia station and how to get to the port entrance from there.

 

On the Rome end taking the bus requires a metro ride to the Cornelia station and a 550 meter/one third of a mile walk to the Cotral Cornelia depot.  This is the same distance you'd walk at Termini to reach the Lazio regional tracks, for comparison.

 

At Civitavecchia the stop, called Porto Tarquinia (Civitavecchia), is diagonally across the street from the port shuttle bus stop.

 

The bus ride takes 90 minutes and costs 3,90 euro.

 

There is a bus at 9:30 AM that arrives to the port at 11 AM.

 

https://servizi.cotralspa.it/PercorsiTariffe

this  appears to be a good option for me,   But the website is challenging at best.  :)   Can tickets be purchased with just walking up?   Do the buses sell out frequently?    Looking at google maps,  does not list these locations?   ( putting in your references)    Any further help you can offer for me?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the train from Rome to civitavechhia just 10 days ago. I took an Intercity train that had exactly what is shown in the picture. Also, that configuration is in 1st class. That was not the configuration on the frecce on the way back. Very little storage in 1st class with a frecce train.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 3:38 PM, euro cruiser said:

In first class it's compartments with luggage racks above the seats.  Even pretty large suitcases can fit up there, although one time when the train was really crowded the last people into our compartment (they seat six) left their large bag in the corridor.  The inside walls of the compartment are glass so they could see it the entire time.

They are not big enough for a large suitcase in the overhead. About a third of the width of the suitcase extended past the edge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

this  appears to be a good option for me,   But the website is challenging at best.  🙂  Can tickets be purchased with just walking up?   Do the buses sell out frequently?    Looking at google maps,  does not list these locations?   ( putting in your references)    Any further help you can offer for me?   

 

Challenging is about the nicest descriptor for that web site, it's pretty user unfriendly.

 

There is a ticket office at the bus depot and I cannot imagine it selling out.  I would plan to be there about 15 minutes or so early because that's the only time that will work, the next bus is much later, so give yourself plenty of time to find the place, buy the ticket, etc.

 

To see the bus depot on a google map use this address:  Capolinea Cotral Cornelia, Via Domenico Tardini, Rome, Metropolitan City of Rome, Italy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Voelfgar said:

They are not big enough for a large suitcase in the overhead. About a third of the width of the suitcase extended past the edge

 Yes, I did try to qualify that by saying "pretty large".  Those gigantor things that I've seen some tourists with won't go up, but I can't imagine being able to lift them over my head anyway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, euro cruiser said:

 Yes, I did try to qualify that by saying "pretty large".  Those gigantor things that I've seen some tourists with won't go up, but I can't imagine being able to lift them over my head anyway.  

Well I did just that before I noticed the space between the opposite facing seats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

 

Challenging is about the nicest descriptor for that web site, it's pretty user unfriendly.

 

There is a ticket office at the bus depot and I cannot imagine it selling out.  I would plan to be there about 15 minutes or so early because that's the only time that will work, the next bus is much later, so give yourself plenty of time to find the place, buy the ticket, etc.

 

To see the bus depot on a google map use this address:  Capolinea Cotral Cornelia, Via Domenico Tardini, Rome, Metropolitan City of Rome, Italy

Thank you.    I will not be sailing the same day.   I can not find any schedules????    Are there late afternoon buses I could get?   I'm sorry to pester you,   but I've  tried for over an hour to figure this out.  :)   I did download the app-   which doesn't translate- and is the same.     I'll  need this on Wed.   July 17.     Again thank you very much.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are late afternoon buses.  If you use the "orari" function and put in Roma, then choose the Cornelia option then put in Civitavecchia and choose the Porta Tarquinia option (by clicking on the + sign) you'll see the list of times for Monday - Friday, Saturday, and Sundays.

 

Using the Percorso e tariffe function you have to game their system a little bit.  I just put in Civitavecchia as the destination, then click just below that on "select arrival stop".  I type in "Porta Tarquinia" and when it comes up, click on it.  For some reason if you just type it in yourself it doesn't recognize it but clicking on their option does work.  Be sure to limit your search to buses with 0 maximum changes.

 

Do we have a private message function on these boards yet?  I could talk you through it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

There are late afternoon buses.  If you use the "orari" function and put in Roma, then choose the Cornelia option then put in Civitavecchia and choose the Porta Tarquinia option (by clicking on the + sign) you'll see the list of times for Monday - Friday, Saturday, and Sundays.

 

Using the Percorso e tariffe function you have to game their system a little bit.  I just put in Civitavecchia as the destination, then click just below that on "select arrival stop".  I type in "Porta Tarquinia" and when it comes up, click on it.  For some reason if you just type it in yourself it doesn't recognize it but clicking on their option does work.  Be sure to limit your search to buses with 0 maximum changes.

 

Do we have a private message function on these boards yet?  I could talk you through it.

My most sincere appreciation.  :)    I am able to see the schedule   I'll  just go to the station and ticket office.     I give up with the app and web  site.   :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in November; means the Mrs. will be going from Rome to the port. We each will have 1 suitcase, a carry on and a personal bag. We are spending the 5 previous days in Venice and Rome. Are we better off getting a bus ride or transfer fro, hotel in Rome to port?  We  were going to do train; but I am concerned about the space, and security of our bags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jcu1210 said:

in November; means the Mrs. will be going from Rome to the port. We each will have 1 suitcase, a carry on and a personal bag. We are spending the 5 previous days in Venice and Rome. Are we better off getting a bus ride or transfer fro, hotel in Rome to port?  We  were going to do train; but I am concerned about the space, and security of our bags.

 

You can certainly arrange for a private transfer from your hotel to port if that feels more secure and comfortable as it sounds like you'll have a lot of luggage to manage.

 

Are they wheelie bags whereby the carry–on can be stacked on top of the large one and wheeled along (strapped to the handle?) as you manage your personal item? If so, I think you can manage to get through Termini and board the train to Civitavecchia and then get the shuttle to your ship. I've not ever had a problem on the Italian rail with luggage going amiss when set in the racks on a journey although it can happen on occasion, most of the people on the Civi bound train are heading to port as you are. Once the bags get stacked up in the luggage rack, they are not going anywhere.

 

Yes, Termini is busy but so are most airports these days and if you have your bags near you until you board your train, everything should be quite alright. If one of you need to use the toilet while waiting, again, should be no worries as all the bags would be with one person and the station is loaded with people headed to all points in Italy and beyond, Civi, etc. and it feels safe. 

 

Really I think it comes down to if you feel comfortable managing the bags on your own. You can get luggage locks if that helps. Also, I suppose it depends on what time you are heading to Civi but again, it's likely most people are also heading to port when you are. You can buy tickets in advance online and ask more questions, see the pinned topic on top of the Italy message board for more information. 

 

Have a great voyage 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from getting your bags on and off the train, and storing them, there is another issue if you intend to travel by rail.  Especially if you are coming from the airport and changing trains for Civi prior to Termini and have lots of heavy luggage.

 

Most Italian rail stations have subways in order that passengers can go from one platform to another without crossing the tracks.  Most do have elevators however our experience is that the elevators  are poorly marked and typically fifty percent are out of service.  We have seen many tourists struggling with multiple heavy suitcases in order to change trains quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are hoping to get a train from Civitavecchia to Rome on the last Saturday of October after disembarking a ship.  We will be in no rush to get to Rome and are thinking we may linger with a coffee or two in Civitavecchia so we do not need to travel on the peak time trains, thereby hopefully missing the crowds.  Hence, if we get on a train about 11am is it likely there will be enough space to leave our cases near to us on the train if there is no dedicated luggage space available?

 

As toilets were mentioned in a recent post, can I ask if there will be toilets on the trains to Rome Termini from Civitavecchia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you won't be in a rush and are willing to kill some time in Civitavecchia, in your situation I would strongly consider purchasing tickets in advance for the 11:16 Frecce train from Civitavecchia.  If you purchase these tickets in advance you can get them for just under 10 euro (vs. 4,60 for the regionale) but you'll get an assigned seat, room for luggage storage, a non-stop trip to Termini, and bathrooms on the train.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Since you won't be in a rush and are willing to kill some time in Civitavecchia, in your situation I would strongly consider purchasing tickets in advance for the 11:16 Frecce train from Civitavecchia.  If you purchase these tickets in advance you can get them for just under 10 euro (vs. 4,60 for the regionale) but you'll get an assigned seat, room for luggage storage, a non-stop trip to Termini, and bathrooms on the train.

 

That sounds good - very good.  Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

 

I was having some problems finding the correct site to book the train tickets.  Any chance you could post a link, or details of how to find the site?

 

Edited by tring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

trenitalia.com

 

 

 

Thank you.  Just checked and they have a two for one offer on for Saturdays at present, so will buy tickets tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...