Drink package availability

Jim and Monika

We will be sailing out of NY next month and have selected the drink package as a perk. I have heard that other cruise lines don't the package until day 2 when sailing out of NY and Galveston. We are inquiring to see if our drink package will start day 1 in NY, or will we have to wait until day 2?

Totally agree about the avatar. Had to cover it with my hand to read the post! We would like to upgrade from the standard to the premium, but were told by our TA that it has to be done onboard. Hopefully it will be an easy process.

Cotto22-

yes, it has to be done onboard, but it was very easy for us. We went to reception and arranged for the upgrade and new "keys" were issued immediately. 

Happy cruising!

k

1 minute ago, GrammieK said:

Cotto22-

yes, it has to be done onboard, but it was very easy for us. We went to reception and arranged for the upgrade and new "keys" were issued immediately. 

Happy cruising!

k

$20/day/person above the O Life perk for the Prestige package.

Also, add me to the list of folks asking OP to lose the avatar.

3 hours ago, GrammieK said:

Cotto22-

Happy cruising!

k

4 hours ago, Shawnino said:

PS: Your avatar could induce seizures.

That's interesting.  I've never had a seizure or a migraine but had a similar thought.

• 3 weeks later...

So help me understand this,  I have the free three shore excursions currently.  But after looking at our changed Cuba itinerary I'm thinking the drink package might be a better buy as there are now a couple of ports we probably won't get off.    

When we first booked our TA said the "free" drink package was only wine and beer at dinner, so no drinks during the day hanging out on deck? 

If I switch to the $600 OBC I can use that to purchase the unlimited (deluxe) drink package once onboard?  What's the cost of the deluxe package? 

As an alternative, I can take the "free" limited drink package now as my option and then pay $20 per day p/p once I get onboard to upgrade?

Is there any cost advantage to doing the later?  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

if you take the  drink package  as your O Life perk  it is wine/beer at lunch/dinner only

if you want to upgrade to the prestige package  at $20 pp pd  you can have a drink anytime any where  when the bars are open

You could take  the OBC  & buy the Prestige package @ $60 pp pd

You have to do the math & see what works for you

it will depend on your drinking habits  😉

26 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

if you take the  drink package  as your O Life perk  it is wine/beer at lunch/dinner only

if you want to upgrade to the prestige package  at $20 pp pd  you can have a drink anytime any where  when the bars are open

You could take  the OBC  & buy the Prestige package @ $60 pp pd

You have to do the math & see what works for you

it will depend on your drinking habits  😉

Using my "beer can" math, it seems upgrading at $20 pp pd saves $280.  

We are 11 days so 11 x $120 = $1320.  If we upgrade 11 x $40 = $440 (+$600 OBC) = $1040

That look correct?  Any math teachers out there?  

you could take the OBC $600

buy the Prestige package 11 X $120  = $1320  less the $600  = $ 720 out of pocket

Or you do  not need to buy it  the first day you could see how much you actually drink in the first few days  then buy  it

it is complicated LOL

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

you could take the OBC $600

buy the Prestige package 11 X $120  = $1320  less the $600  = $ 720 out of pocket

Or you do  not need to buy it  the first day you could see how much you actually drink in the first few days  then buy  it

it is complicated LOL

But if I upgrade at only $40 it's $440 out of pocket or am I missing a decimal somewhere?  

In the past, it's always been cost effective for me and a break even for DW.  Since we have first two days at sea, private island, won't get off at San Juan, another day at sea I think it might be cost effective.  I will probably take a bottle of tequila for DW.  But don't want to mess with six cases of beer for me.  Maybe a few bottles of wine for the cabin.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

27 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

But if I upgrade at only $40 it's $440 out of pocket or am I missing a decimal somewhere?  

In the past, it's always been cost effective for me and a break even for DW.  Since we have first two days at sea, private island, won't get off at San Juan, another day at sea I think it might be cost effective.  I will probably take a bottle of tequila for DW.  But don't want to mess with six cases of beer for me.  Maybe a few bottles of wine for the cabin.  

you are correct

if you take the House  Beverage package as your perk  then it will only be $20 pp pd for the upgrade

You would not need to take extra bottles if you upgrade unless of course they do not carry your brand of beverage

JMO

As my DW doesn't drink alcohol, we didn't take the drinks package as our choice. Instead, we took the $400 OBC and purchased the prestige drinks package for just me. She was happy with soda and virgin cocktails, which are included and I could enjopy a cocktail or three as well as a The Macallen on the rocks in the evening. Total out of pocket cost - just under $20.00

22 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

As my DW doesn't drink alcohol, we didn't take the drinks package as our choice. Instead, we took the $400 OBC and purchased the prestige drinks package for just me. She was happy with soda and virgin cocktails, which are included and I could enjopy a cocktail or three as well as a The Macallen on the rocks in the evening. Total out of pocket cost - just under $20.00

In most situations you're just moving money from your right hand to your left by taking OBC. By that I mean the difference in the fare is usually the amount of the OBC. You have to get the calculator out and do the math every time. To know for sure what your out of pocket cost was you have to see what the cruise would have cost you without the Olife. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LHT28 said:

you are correct

if you take the House  Beverage package as your perk  then it will only be $20 pp pd for the upgrade

You would not need to take extra bottles if you upgrade unless of course they do not carry your brand of beverage

JMO

Thanks, DW is a tequila snob so I will probably take something for her.  I, on the other hand, will drink whatevers cold.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, ORV said:

..... You have to get the calculator out and do the math every time.....

Truer words were never written.  It's the one thing about O I really dislike: Having to do four different scenarios/calculations before I can determine how much a particular cruise is actually going to cost.

On 7/7/2019 at 6:24 AM, Jim and Monika said:

We will be sailing out of NY next month and have selected the drink package as a perk. I have heard that other cruise lines don't the package until day 2 when sailing out of NY and Galveston. We are inquiring to see if our drink package will start day 1 in NY, or will we have to wait until day 2?

No..... from the second you step aboard....  but which package  the beer and wine  or the full tilt boogie?          BIG  difference.

Now....you can sign up for the drinks package at any time during the cruise  day , 9, 14   They do not tell you that.   But once you start yo can not stop .       O is not  " other" lines  your in for a huge pleasant surprise.