Equinox and fresh fish on the buffet

ALWAYS CRUZIN

Just off of the Equinox, saw something I never have on any other ship or cruise line. One evening in the buffet the chefs were cleaning and filleting fish on the buffet line in front of everyone.  They looked like very fresh fish. Handed the fillets to the Cook, he grilled and also deep fried. I had grilled and my husband had the deep fried. Both had excellent texture and taste. The size of the fish were about 16 inches to a large 24 inches or so. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Just off of the Equinox, saw something I never have on any other ship or cruise line. One evening in the buffet the chefs were cleaning and filleting fish on the buffet line in front of everyone.  They looked like very fresh fish. Handed the fillets to the Cook, he grilled and also deep fried. I had grilled and my husband had the deep fried. Both had excellent texture and taste. The size of the fish were about 16 inches to a large 24 inches or so. 

What port / itinerary did you do?  I would love to see more of that and always assume everything I get other than fruit and vegetables on a mass market ship is previously frozen.

10 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

What port / itinerary did you do?  I would love to see more of that and always assume everything I get other than fruit and vegetables on a mass market ship is previously frozen.

June 22 San Juan, St.Thomas, Tortola BVI, & Nassau By the way. Tortola's port, totally rebuilt, is only 4 years old and is super nice. The board walk and seating by the water is nice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Here are some photos from Solstice and another ship (Can’t remember if it was Eclipse or reflection.)

F5D9E84D-AED9-4112-B480-318693C5D15D.jpeg

08B003A1-7D5F-4861-AA04-1A2EDDB84542.jpeg

0761C2E1-79B0-4D34-9102-605B47FDFE9E.jpeg

I have seen these display of fish on other ships but NEVER see them actually cleaning them and filleting them. Lots of times one big fish on ice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yorky said:

We have always had fish cooked from the buffet and loved it, sounds promising.

I agree. Just wanted to post something we never saw before. During the cruise they always had grilled fish. One evening fish fingers and another deep fried fish. All excellent. Had them in very big round pans and they went so very fast. Always replacing them. The fish was extremely hot. Excellent.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

I agree. Just wanted to post something we never saw before. During the cruise they always had grilled fish. One evening fish fingers and another deep fried fish. All excellent. Had them in very big round pans and they went so very fast. Always replacing them. The fish was extremely hot. Excellent.

Absolutely, we were happy to hear of your experience.

Sounds good! They were preparing fresh fish on the Reflection in the OVC in the Med 1 1/2 yrs ago. We had been in Sicily and Malta, I believe. I was surprised to see them preparing and grilling ?grouper.

image.thumb.png.a7ef030fd64e94d1387fe6d3eb873642.png

image.thumb.png.2c7d83a1b5cdb69553d944942f9af6c7.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vtcruising said:

Sounds good! They were preparing fresh fish on the Reflection in the OVC in the Med 1 1/2 yrs ago. We had been in Sicily and Malta, I believe. I was surprised to see them preparing and grilling ?grouper.

image.thumb.png.a7ef030fd64e94d1387fe6d3eb873642.png

image.thumb.png.2c7d83a1b5cdb69553d944942f9af6c7.png

Now that is NOT for us. However I did see people taking it.

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

Forgot to mention. They had a good size flat panel TV at the entrance of the buffet. The video was showing the chiefs filleting very large fish. Looking to be about 2 ft longer. We watched it, an were wondering if that is actually the fish on the buffet. That was days before they were doing it in the buffet. Talk about excellent chefs. Cutting them us super fast.

3 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

This is nothing really new.  There has been a Fish Fry Night at the Buffet.  We have had it on other ships as well.My favorite was when fresh fish was brought on board in Alaska.  Great evening buffet.

16 minutes ago, keesar said:

This is nothing really new.  There has been a Fish Fry Night at the Buffet.  We have had it on other ships as well.My favorite was when fresh fish was brought on board in Alaska.  Great evening buffet.

I agree. Just we never saw them clean ad fillet them on the buffet.

4 hours ago, George C said:

We saw fresh fish grilled in front of you on summit last year but not on infinity this year. Wife loved it they also grilled steaks .

I already posted this elsewhere. We ate steak in three different places. The Steak House, MDR and the Buffet on the last evening. I am sure many will not believe this. the buffet had the best by far. We really did not want another steak but could not pass it up. At least 30 raw steaks of each NY Strip about 12oz and large Ribeye were displayed. You give them your order and the chef puts it on an open grill. Done perfect, juicy , tender and great taste. Mine and my husbands. Go figure!

• Like 1

My post was not the same , I agree in part from summit last year,  we did not see this this year on infinity. Celebrity in general is consistent across ships , not in this case.

Edited by George C

20 hours ago, wishuponasea said:

I will have to check out the buffet each night Before going to the MDR! I did not realize what I was missing!

On our last couple of cruises, there has been a display as you entered the Buffet  (left side on S class) which listed  the upcoming dinner themes.  There were German, Italian, British, Fish, Mexican, Caribbean, Greek, etc.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2019 at 9:30 PM, katykrol said:

I will be onboard in a month. Does the buffet have a grill at night where you can order steaks or shrimp? 

They have fish, pork, chicken and steak. The steak is of the strip or flat iron cut. They grill it as you wait.