Port of Los Angeles

Lisas mom

We are going to Alaska in May of 2020, leaving from LA.  Princess does not offer a hotel to book on their website for this cruise with transfers.  Hence it looks like we will have to arrange our own transportation and hotel room as we fly in the day before.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to a hotel room close to San Pedro Pier in LA and also a form of transportation to get us from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier the next day.  Thanks for your help in advan

ce.

Lots of answers to these questions on the Port boards.

There are several hotels very close to the port...You can see a list by using Google for "San Pedro CA hotels". AFAIK none of them pick up at the airport.

Super Shuttle, PrimeTime, Uber, Lyft or rent a car.

Most of the San Pedro hotels offer transportation to the port. Most are free.

We use the Double Tree.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Hi,

You may not be aware that there is a whole West Coast port forum on this site.

Here is a link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

It is common to take a shared shuttle, uber/lyft car or privately reserved car to the port.

No hotels from the airport will shuttle you free to the port which can be a good 40mn away in traffic.

We stay at the Doubletree San Pedro but the Crowne Plaza is a bit closer to the port itself. Both these hotels will shuttle you to the port for your cruise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, denmarks said:

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza a few times. They have free round trip transfers. It is within walking distance of Ports O Call Village.

Would be so true if Ports O Call still existed.  Planned for redevelopment and fallen to the wrecking ball.  

• Haha 1

I'll add that Princess does offer hotel / transfer packages to international guests (or at least they have in the past).  They typically use the Marriott at LAX with morning of the cruise bus transfer to San Pedro.  

We happened upon the international group one trip by chance and were able to tag along the morning of with a few words to the coordinator - not sure I'd count on it, but it doesn't hurt to ask before grabbing an Uber.

4 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

Would be so true if Ports O Call still existed.  Planned for redevelopment and fallen to the wrecking ball.  

I have not been to the LA port since Hawaii cruises were offered out of SF. Ports O Call was in bad shape when I went there but I liked the shrimp platter.

I asked my TA this same question for my upcoming cruise in December 2019. Her reply was, "PCL offers the Hilton Long Beach with transfers from LAX to the hotel and hotel to pier for $523 for the two of you. Other than that I would suggest a hotel near the airport (most of them have airport shuttle) and pick up a transfer on cruise day from the airport to ship - $34pp."  Maybe PCL doesn't offer the Hilton Long Beach in May 2020. We opted instead, like others here have said, to book at Doubletree in San Pedro. We plan to use Uber from airport to the hotel, then hotel shuttle to the ship. 

15 hours ago, i_da_bell said:

Other than that I would suggest a hotel near the airport (most of them have airport shuttle) and pick up a transfer on cruise day from the airport to ship - $34pp."

I was going to make that suggestion.  Hotel near the airport, with free airport shuttle to/from the hotel, then cruise line shuttle from the airport to the pier.  Surely equal or lower cost than getting transportation to the hotels near the port, and possibly better hotel prices as well.  Extra bonus - if your flight is late arriving it's a (relatively) short hop to the hotel rather than a 30+ minute affair.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:23 AM, Lisas mom said:

We are going to Alaska in May of 2020, leaving from LA.  Princess does not offer a hotel to book on their website for this cruise with transfers.  Hence it looks like we will have to arrange our own transportation and hotel room as we fly in the day before.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to a hotel room close to San Pedro Pier in LA and also a form of transportation to get us from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier the next day.  Thanks for your help in advance.

To me the key is what time do you arrive at LAX. If you arrive at 3PM or later, I wouldn't bother to get down to San Pedro (or Long Beach). By the time you got off the plane and got your luggage, with the traffic in LA, I'd just get a hotel by the airport, check-in and then head to the Manhattan Beach Pier area to walk around and have a nice dinner.

If you can get out of the airport before 3PM then make your way to San Pedro or Long Beach. San Pedro is more convenient of course, but Downtown Long Beach has more to see and do, if you'd like something to do besides sit in a hotel.

Budget is of course the other consideration and it would be helpful to know your room budget.