Disappointed with Norwegian

CruncheyFrog

3 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

This is precisely why I *kept* asking if they were in the USA or not, yet they refused to answer that question for way too long, just drawing out the controversy, for whatever personal reason.  

(I didn't know for sure what you've stated, but I DID know "for sure" that the terms outside the USA can be VERY different, and usually in a "not good" - for the traveler - way, unfortunately.)

"Whatever..."

GC

I wasn't purposely not disclosing my location to be coy. I was unaware that you could get pre-existing coverage in the USA. I apologize for not being aware of the difference between Canada and the USA. I'm not trying to cause trouble. I put this post out to see if others had experienced the same problem, and if there was a solution I hadn't thought of. It was not my intention to deceive or upset anyone.

Just now, CruncheyFrog said:

I wasn't purposely not disclosing my location to be coy. I was unaware that you could get pre-existing coverage in the USA. I apologize for not being aware of the difference between Canada and the USA. I'm not trying to cause trouble. I put this post out to see if others had experienced the same problem, and if there was a solution I hadn't thought of. It was not my intention to deceive or upset anyone.

Sorry but I specifically explained that the coverage could be DIFFERENT in different countries.  We weren't expecting you to already know that.

Duh.

GC

3 minutes ago, CruncheyFrog said:

The insurance was in place well before the conditions arose. And travel insurance in Canada excludes pre-existing conditions.

If you did not have the condition prior to taking out the policy, one of the following applies:

1, the doctor says you can't travel and you claim on your insurance as the condition did not exist when you took out the policy.

2, the doctor signs you off as fit to travel in which case you are still covered on the trip as the doctor has signed you off.

I'm at a total loss why you would not be covered, the only circumstances I can think you would not be covered would be to travel against your doctors advice.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Then your insurance plan that you decided to purchase is a little hinky compared to most.

As noted by another poster, the six month stability clause  usually refers to the six months prior to the effective date of the insurance (i.e.; the date the premium is paid, not the date of travel.). If a problem with a pre-existing condition arose after that date and the doctor's advice was it was not medically safe to travel on the cruise, then the insurance does cover the cancellation.

However, just deciding that one does not want to travel because of a condition that has been stabilized is not covered.

The pre-existing condition exclusion in Ontario (Canada) unfortunatey kicks in prior to travel date, not the effective date of the insurance. I verified this with the travel insurer.

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

If you did not have the condition prior to taking out the policy, one of the following applies:

1, the doctor says you can't travel and you claim on your insurance as the condition did not exist when you took out the policy.

2, the doctor signs you off as fit to travel in which case you are still covered on the trip as the doctor has signed you off.

I'm at a total loss why you would not be covered, the only circumstances I can think you would not be covered would be to travel against your doctors advice.

Crunchyfrog *finally* admitted to being in Canada.

Is your comment still relevant?  (I'm not sure about Canadian coverage, other than it can be quite different from the USA, and usually "not good" for the traveler.  But maybe there are other terms that are better...?)

GC

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Sorry but I specifically explained that the coverage could be DIFFERENT in different countries.  We weren't expecting you to already know that.

Duh.

GC

I'm sorry if I missed that in one of your posts. I would have said it sooner. If I was trying to withhold that information, I would have never said where I lived. I've apologized a few times, why so much criticism?

I'm sorry if I missed that in one of your posts. I would have said it sooner. If I was trying to withhold that information, I would have never said where I lived. I've apologized a few times, why so much criticism?

More than "one of [my] posts"...

GC

5 minutes ago, CruncheyFrog said:

You are new here, and maybe don't have experience with other online forums.

But in case you haven't noticed, people try, sometimes very hard, to be HELPFUL.  So if you refuse to give important information (even when asked repeatedly, with  the reason *given*!), then a lot of us have simply WASTED OUR TIME.

That's why....

And we may be less likely to spend similar time helping future posters asking for help...

That's why.

ETA:  And unfortunately, some others will continue to waste their time...

Nice.

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

Op- I’m not familiar with Canadian policies but from what you are saying - Canadian cruise insurance policies will not cover a claim for anything that happens prior to commencement of vacation nor will it cover anything you ever previously had treated if reoccurrence during travel regardless of when you purchased the policy.  In addition your primary insurance will also cover nothing for travel outside your province. Sounds pretty harsh but if true I’d definitely had purchased the 90% cancel for any reason with ncl if I was Canadian!  Idk how Canadian’s can travel within their own country let alone outside with those exclusions!  

But fyi in your situation- had you been an American purchaser of Allianz and purchased said policy with a pre existing condition waiver- your situation, as an American, still wouldn’t be covered. You are wanting a refund for travel costs but are medically able to travel.  That’s not a valid pre existing covered reason for cancellation.  Cancel for medical reasons is only covered if you are not able to travel due to medical condition and a doctor certifies this. Pre existing condition or not you are not in a medical claim situation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruncheyFrog said:

We had travel insurance prior to booking. And even when an illness occurs after travel insurance is in place, but prior to the trip, the pre-existing condition applies. If you end up in a European hospital because of your pre-existing condition, you are paying out of your own pocket, which can run into tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of dollars. This is why we are cancelling, as it is a big chance to take. Apparently many people aren't sympathetic to this problem. NCL could easily rebook a balcony room within a month. Any money they lost would be made up in future bookings that I, my friends and family would have booked with NCL in the future.

Just wondering, since they have always declined to refund or give a credit to folks in your position, why should they do it for you?  If they set a precedent with your case, then they would have to refund or give credit to anyone without insurance or in your position with pre-existing conditions, if they have to cancel after final payment.  Then, folks would just not pay for insurance knowing that they will refund or give credit.

BTW, welcome to Cruise Critic.

Edited by NLH Arizona

56 minutes ago, CruncheyFrog said:

The insurer is Allianz, but that is irrelevant, as all insurers exclude pre-existing conditions. We live in Canada, but I'm not sure how that is relevant.

I think another point of misunderstanding is I guess you only took the Medical Plan (https://www.travelinsurance.ca/v_1513282518558/media/en-documents/medical_plan.pdf) and not the Medical + Cancellation (https://www.travelinsurance.ca/v_1515681115728/media/en-documents/cancellation_plan.pdf) plan?  So obviously they won't cover cancelling the trip since you didn't actually purchase that option?

So you specifically don't have cancellation travel insurance and you expect NCL to somehow provide a cancellation benefit when you never purchased insurance through them?

Edited by UnorigionalName

7 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Crunchyfrog *finally* admitted to being in Canada.

Is your comment still relevant?  (I'm not sure about Canadian coverage, other than it can be quite different from the USA, and usually "not good" for the traveler.  But maybe there are other terms that are better...?)

GC

I think it is still relevant, there is nothing from Allianz T&C's that backs up the claims, as far as I read the OP has full cover as can be seen here:

http://www.tninsurance.ca/travel/tic/allianz-travel-insurance.htm

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

You are new here, and maybe don't have experience with other online forums.

But in case you haven't noticed, people try, sometimes very hard, to be HELPFUL.  So if you refuse to give important information (even when asked repeatedly, with  the reason *given*!), then a lot of us have simply WASTED OUR TIME.

That's why....

And we may be less likely to spend similar time helping future posters asking for help...

That's why.

ETA:  And unfortunately, some others will continue to waste their time...

Nice.

GC

You're right, I am not very familiar with online forums. Again, I'm sorry I didn't give the information sooner or fast enough. I was replying to multiple people at the same time, and it got a little hectic. I wasn't trying to be deceitful.

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

I think it is still relevant, there is nothing from Allianz T&C's that backs up the claims, as far as I read the OP has full cover as can be seen here:

http://www.tninsurance.ca/travel/tic/allianz-travel-insurance.htm

Thanks very much for  this!

I haven't previously actually seen any Canadian policies.  Very interesting.

GC

4 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

I think another point of misunderstanding is I guess you only took the Medical Plan (https://www.travelinsurance.ca/v_1513282518558/media/en-documents/medical_plan.pdf) and not the Medical + Cancellation (https://www.travelinsurance.ca/v_1515681115728/media/en-documents/cancellation_plan.pdf) plan?  So obviously they won't cover cancelling the trip since you didn't actually purchase that option?

So you specifically don't have cancellation travel insurance and you expect NCL to somehow provide a cancellation benefit when you never purchased insurance through them?

I have both Travel and medical coverage.

46 minutes ago, CruncheyFrog said:

Maybe in the USA, but in Canada travel insurance excludes pre-existing conditions. The "this" is pre-existing condition(s).

Perhaps you live in the wrong country.  Take your problems to Ottawa.

Just now, UnorigionalName said:

why won't they pay for the cancellation? Can't you get a doctor to sign a note saying that you may have another flare and it's reasonable to cancel the trip?

Exactly right, the doctor signs you off as fit and you travel or unfit and you claim.

1 hour ago, CruncheyFrog said:

The insurer is Allianz, but that is irrelevant, as all insurers exclude pre-existing conditions. We live in Canada, but I'm not sure how that is relevant.

I also have Allianz.  Paid for the trip insurance well ahead of final payment time.  My travel agent informed me most DON’T pay before final payment, in case they change their mind about the trip.  The good thing about us paying ahead of time...preexisting conditions ARE covered 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

why won't they pay for the cancellation? Can't you get a doctor to sign a note saying that you may have another flare and it's reasonable to cancel the trip?

Cancelling because of concern over a recurrence is not an insured reason to cancel. I would have to fall ill just prior to the trip and be unable to travel in order to be covered.

Cancelling because of concern over a recurrence is not an insured reason to cancel. I would have to fall ill just prior to the trip and be unable to travel in order to be covered.

"Because of a concern" that one MIGHT become ill?

Nope, no policy is going to cover that other than a CFAR, Cancel For Any Reason, which usually doesn't pay 100%, and may/may not be available in Canada.

GC

9 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks very much for  this!

I haven't previously actually seen any Canadian policies.  Very interesting.

GC

No problem.

It clearly states you must not have a pre existing condition prior to taking out the policy or the effective date (start date of policy).

The effective date of the policy would normally be the day you take out the policy unless for whatever reasons you request it to start later, the only way I can see the OP is not covered is if they elected to start the policy at a later date (after condition arose), it would not make sense to do this as the point of insurance is to cover events like these.

Just now, ziggyuk said:

No problem.

It clearly states you must not have a pre existing condition prior to taking out the policy or the effective date (start date of policy).

The effective date of the policy would normally be the day you take out the policy unless for whatever reasons you request it to start later, the only way I can see the OP is not covered is if they elected to start the policy at a later date (after condition arose), it would not make sense to do this as the point of insurance is to cover events like these.

Note that OP is finally disclosing even more weird info.  They aren't sick... they worry they MIGHT GET SICK.

And want insurance to pay them.

GC

I thought Canada had great insurance for everything? 🙂

sounds like OP just doesn’t want to cruise....for whatever reason...I wish him/her luck in future cruise bookings. 

Edited by PTC DAWG