Disappointed with Norwegian

CruncheyFrog

We booked a Baltic cruise with Norwegian last year and made final payment on April 10, 2019. On May 5, 2019 I was admitted to the hospital for 5 days with pancreatitis. I am 57 years old, 6 feet tall and weigh 185 pounds. I am physically active and in pretty good shape. The doctors were unable to determine what caused my attack. I am now doing well, but because my trip is on August 9, 2019 my travel insurance will not cover any recurrence of this condition. On May 12, 2019 my wife's abdominal hernia flared up, to the point where we had to go to the emergency at our local hospital. It flared up again this past weekend, and so we have decided to cancel our trip, as we both have pre-existing conditions that will not be covered by our travel insurance. I called Norwegian, and asked if we could get a credit (not a refund) for the amount we paid for this cruise towards a future cruise. We have been on two previous cruises with Norwegian. We were told that the only way we could get a credit was if we had purchased our travel insurance through Norwegian. They would only give us a 25% cancellation return.  I thought this was unfair, as our problems arose after we had made final payment. Norwegian has a month to resell our room, so it's not like they will lose any money by crediting us. I know someone will say that we should put a claim through our travel insurance, but since we are physically able to travel, I don't believe we can put forward a claim on the basis that we don't have coverage for our pre-existing conditions. This whole episode has left a figuratively  bitter taste in our mouths about Norwegian. Has anyone else ever had a similar situation?

7 minutes ago, CruncheyFrog said:

We booked a Baltic cruise with Norwegian last year and made final payment on April 10, 2019. On May 5, 2019 I was admitted to the hospital for 5 days with pancreatitis. I am 57 years old, 6 feet tall and weigh 185 pounds. I am physically active and in pretty good shape. The doctors were unable to determine what caused my attack. I am now doing well, but because my trip is on August 9, 2019 my travel insurance will not cover any recurrence of this condition. On May 12, 2019 my wife's abdominal hernia flared up, to the point where we had to go to the emergency at our local hospital. It flared up again this past weekend, and so we have decided to cancel our trip, as we both have pre-existing conditions that will not be covered by our travel insurance. I called Norwegian, and asked if we could get a credit (not a refund) for the amount we paid for this cruise towards a future cruise. We have been on two previous cruises with Norwegian. We were told that the only way we could get a credit was if we had purchased our travel insurance through Norwegian. They would only give us a 25% cancellation return.  I thought this was unfair, as our problems arose after we had made final payment. Norwegian has a month to resell our room, so it's not like they will lose any money by crediting us. I know someone will say that we should put a claim through our travel insurance, but since we are physically able to travel, I don't believe we can put forward a claim on the basis that we don't have coverage for our pre-existing conditions. This whole episode has left a figuratively  bitter taste in our mouths about Norwegian. Has anyone else ever had a similar situation?

What kind of travel insurance do you have?  Which company, and which type of policy? 

This isn't making sense unless you just purchased the travel insurance recently, *after* you already had the medical event.

ETA:  If this is not NCL insurance, you might want to repost this on the general travel insurance portion of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

What kind of travel insurance do you have?  Which company, and which type of policy? 

This isn't making sense unless you just purchased the travel insurance recently, *after* you already had the medical event.

GC

I was thinking the same any condition that happens after taking out insurance can't possibly be pre-existing.

In fact I would advice my insurance of the condition that happened after taking out insurance, telling them you should be able to make the cruise and not claim but it could not be guaranteed.

• Like 1

Regarding ncl giving you credit - no cruise line will do what you are asking for.  So it’s kinda a moot point when you didn’t purchase their cancellation insurance to now be asking for a refund.  

Regarding cruise insurance- if you purchase cruise insurance at the same time as the cruise or within the allotted days, they often include preexisting condition coverage.  It sounds like  you are both currently able to travel though so canceling your cruise because you “might” have a flair up isn’t a valid pre existing condition cancellation reason even if you had pre existing condition waiver. 

Check with your primary medical insurance to see about coverage.  Sounds like your options at this point are either go on the cruise or cancel with penalty. 

My MIL was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer after final payment.  She had to cancel her cruise and NCL held her to the terms of the contract ... no refund or credit except prepaid port fees and taxes.  She died three months later.  I like the NCL product, but hate the corporation.  I'm glad its stock is slipping.

1 minute ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

My MIL was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer after final payment.  She had to cancel her cruise and NCL held her to the terms of the contract ... no refund or credit except prepaid port fees and taxes.  She died three months later.  I like the NCL product, but hate the corporation.  I'm glad its stock is slipping.

But that's what travel insurance is for!

If NCL or any cruise line (or other similar vendor) allowed such refunds, there would be LOTS of them, and the prices would have to rise dramatically.  It would sort of like having the insurance included automatically in the fare.  But then those who are young and healthy would be paying for coverage that is more likely to be used by those who are more likely to have medical problems.

(Yes, yes, I know "everyone/anyone" can get sick, but some people know they may be more likely to have medical problems, etc.)

Point is, if NCL raised  prices dramatically so everyone automatically had coverage, there would be complaints about the high prices, and "I don't want to be FORCED to pay for insurance", etc.

GC

• Like 6

I was at McDonald's recently.  Right after I sat down with my cheeseburger, I bit my tongue and it really hurt.  I took my food back to the counter and they refused to offer me a full refund!  Can you imagine???  The corporate greed of those burger flippers!!!!

:classic_tongue:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

No, the legacy airlines provided refunds when the doctor certified that she was going to die in six months and her illness prevented her from traveling.  

PS - "But that's what travel insurance is for!"  You are an idiot for such a trite statement.  While I hope you do not get pancreatic cancer, I would relish the day I could throw that back at you.  

But blaming the company is okay?

So be it.

GC

43 minutes ago, CruncheyFrog said:

Norwegian has a month to resell our room, so it's not like they will lose any money by crediting us.

There is a "slim to none" chance that NCL will be able to sell your stateroom for the same price that you paid. Fares tend to drop after final payment date.

Imagine the following scenario...

My best friend books a Deluxe Owner's Suite, pays in full, then cancels 2 weeks before sailing. If NCL gave him a full refund, I could swoop in 30 seconds after he cancelled and book the DOS at a hugely discounted rate. His "booking" would hold the room for me, no one would be able to bid on it, and I'd save a ton of money.

The    main question is-   does the op HAVE travel insurance,  that was purchased-  prior to illnesses???      It doesn't appear so?   

Their "unfair",  claim is moot.    Of course they aren't entitled to anything but,  what's in the terms.  

• Like 1

We had travel insurance prior to booking. And even when an illness occurs after travel insurance is in place, but prior to the trip, the pre-existing condition applies. If you end up in a European hospital because of your pre-existing condition, you are paying out of your own pocket, which can run into tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of dollars. This is why we are cancelling, as it is a big chance to take. Apparently many people aren't sympathetic to this problem. NCL could easily rebook a balcony room within a month. Any money they lost would be made up in future bookings that I, my friends and family would have booked with NCL in the future.

47 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

No line will give you your money back. My mom had to cancel a cruise when diagnosed with cancer, cruise line gave her nothing, of course, but the insurance company reimbursed her (and she passed 4 months later). Illness is probably the #1 reason people buy insurance.

5 minutes ago, CruncheyFrog said:

We had travel insurance prior to booking. And even when an illness occurs after travel insurance is in place, but prior to the trip, the pre-existing condition applies. If you end up in a European hospital because of your pre-existing condition, you are paying out of your own pocket, which can run into tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of dollars. This is why we are cancelling, as it is a big chance to take. Apparently many people aren't sympathetic to this problem. NCL could easily rebook a balcony room within a month. Any money they lost would be made up in future bookings that I, my friends and family would have booked with NCL in the future.

Do you have non-USA travel insurance?

Apparently the "rules/terms" can be quite different.

Could you clarify?

GC

34 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

I was at McDonald's recently.  Right after I sat down with my cheeseburger, I bit my tongue and it really hurt.  I took my food back to the counter and they refused to offer me a full refund!  Can you imagine???  The corporate greed of those burger flippers!!!!

:classic_tongue:

Your example is not quite the same. McDonald's can't resell your burger. NCL can (and will) resell our room. In fact, they will get 75% of my money, plus 100% of someone else's money, so they will almost double how much they made from that cabin. We weren't even looking for a credit, we were looking for a credit towards another cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Which travel insurance company is this?  Sounds like your beef is with the insurance company for not covering you.

All travel insurance companies exclude pre-existing conditions, so it doesn't matter which company it is.

41 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

No, the legacy airlines provided refunds when the doctor certified that she was going to die in six months and her illness prevented her from traveling.  

PS - "But that's what travel insurance is for!"  You are an idiot for such a trite statement.  While I hope you do not get pancreatic cancer, I would relish the day I could throw that back at you.  

Just now, CruncheyFrog said:

Your example is not quite the same. McDonald's can't resell your burger. NCL can (and will) resell our room. In fact, they will get 75% of my money, plus 100% of someone else's money, so they will almost double how much they made from that cabin. We weren't even looking for a credit, we were looking for a credit towards another cruise.

And many others look for a credit too, and they don’t get the credit, it’s really that simple. Heck, if I knew I could get a credit if I needed to cancel, I’d never buy insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

ETA:  If this is not NCL insurance, you might want to repost this on the general travel insurance portion of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

GC

The travel insurance was in place well before the medical events occurred.

All travel insurance companies exclude pre-existing conditions, so it doesn't matter which company it is.

Sorry, that simply is NOT TRUE.

Could you clarify if you have non-USA type insurance.

Many of us (at least in the USA) SPECIFICALLY choose policies that do *NOT* exclude pre-existing conditions.
We are among those people!

There are deadlines to purchase the coverage, and one must also be "fit to travel" on the date the policy is purchased.

GC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Sorry about your MIL...but five years ago NCL stock was just over $30....now it's trading right at $50....granted, I'm not a day trader.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

And many others look for a credit too, and they don’t get the credit, it’s really that simple. Heck, if I knew I could get a credit if I needed to cancel, I’d never buy insurance.

There are two problems with your reply. First of all, We had travel insurance, so it's not like we were trying to beat the system by not purchasing it. Secondly, we are asking for a credit based on something that is verifiable (doctor's report), and not simply because we don't want to go on the trip.

12 minutes ago, CruncheyFrog said:

I have an annual medical travel policy.     Which  would have coverage.   But your thinking that NCL is terrible for not making an exception for you is misguided.   You aren't entitled to more than what the terms are.    

There are two problems with your reply. First of all, We had travel insurance, so it's not like we were trying to beat the system by not purchasing it. Secondly, we are asking for a credit based on something that is verifiable (doctor's report), and not simply because we don't want to go on the trip.

Repeating:  Why are you refusing to disclose which insurance policy you had, or even if it was USA-based or not?

In the USA, it is ABSOLUTELY possible to get coverage that INCLUDES pre-existing conditions.

Full stop.

GC

5 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Why are you refusing to share what insurer you used, or even whether this is USA-based or not?

GC

The insurer is Allianz, but that is irrelevant, as all insurers exclude pre-existing conditions. We live in Canada, but I'm not sure how that is relevant.