Port Hole Rooms

mkcurran

Talk to me about porthole rooms. Any draws backs to booking the room at the end of the hallway? it is better to get the one closest to the middle of the ship? 

I'm not terrible concerned about the movement of the boat, not an issue for us. I'm thinking the less walls I share with fellow cruisers the better. At least after the last cruise....hearing "but Baby I LOVE you" over and over at 1 am, is not my idea of fun. 

Will I be hearing anchors or anything else that far forward? 

Specifically I'm still eyeballing and over thinking a Fascination cruise. 

We stay in this cabin 90 percent of the time. We do get anchor noise but only when Ship docks.  I still think it’s well worth it.  You have a window at a lesser price than an Oceanview and it’s nice and quiet.  Also you have your public balcony right outside your cabin which is usually vacant. And  it does go fast as the other poster said. 

Edited by eedee

1 minute ago, eedee said:

We stay in this cabin 90 percent of the time. We do get anchor noise but only when Ship docks.  I still think it’s well worth it.  You have a window at a lesser price than an Oceanview and it’s nice and quiet.  Also you have your public balcony right outside your cabin which is usually vacant. And he’s it does go fast as the other poster said. 

Public balcony? like a deck on the front of the boat? Is this only on certain floors?

Yes a deck at the front of the boat. Most floors that have the forward cabins have this outside deck. You can look at the deck plans and see if your floor has it.  They call them secret decks. 

11 minutes ago, eedee said:

Yes a deck at the front of the boat. Most floors that have the forward cabins have this outside deck. You can look at the deck plans and see if your floor has it.  They call them secret decks. 

That's a 4j, porthole cabins are 1a. Apples and oranges.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, eedee said:

Can you be more specific as to ship? The porthole cabins are usually on lower decks 1 and 2. The 4J cabins on higher decks usually have the decks out in front of them.

I will be in a 1A cabin (with portholes) on the Splendor for 31 days in Sept/Oct. I can come back and let you know. I will probably be able to handle this noise better than slamming balcony doors.

Edited by crzndeb

At the end of the hallway it's a looong walk. Wait until you walk to the other end of the ship for something, realize you forgot something in your room and have to walk back to your room, then back to the other end of the ship again. If it's the front of the ship you may hear a lot of noise early on port mornings..for about an hour. I did it once and won't do it again.

Edited by Saint Greg

23 minutes ago, eedee said:

I like those, but they are not porthole cabins.

6 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

At the end of the hallway it's a looong walk. Wait until you walk to the other end of the ship for something, realize you forgot something in your room and have to walk back to your room, then back to the other end of the ship again. If it's the front of the ship you may hear a lot of noise early on port mornings..for about an hour. I did it once and won't do it again.

That was actually the way I tried controlled my weight on the Splendor. Cabin all  the way forward on deck 10. Dining in the aft dining room on 3. Almost worked too, but those ice cream machines mid-deck 9 made a nice halfway stop. Figure the walk won't be as bad on a smaller ship...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Can you be more specific as to ship? The porthole cabins are usually on lower decks 1 and 2. The 4J cabins on higher decks usually have the decks out in front of them.

I will be in a 1A cabin (with portholes) on the Splendor for 31 days in Sept/Oct. I can come back and let you know. I will probably be able to handle this noise better than slamming balcony doors.

The decks outside those portholes are supersecret and you bring your own scuba equipment...

😍 porthole cabins.  You hear and feel the thrusters and anchor but it is cool.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I will admit on the trip where we hit serious waves that hallway felt like it was 3 miles long. 

5 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

I will admit on the trip where we hit serious waves that hallway felt like it was 3 miles long. 

My time was when I was in the first room on the first floor all the way up front and went to a comedy show on deck 9 aft. I forgot my glasses and had to walk all the way back to the room, then back to the comedy club...that was a workout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

Oh goodness, are you going to Singapore?

Those lower decks in the very front can be very noisy from the waves. Some like it and some don't. Others cruise and dont hear it. 

I hope it works out for you, and at worst it's better than being on land!

16 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

Oh goodness, are you going to Singapore?

Those lower decks in the very front can be very noisy from the waves. Some like it and some don't. Others cruise and dont hear it. 

I hope it works out for you, and at worst it's better than being on land!

Yes, and last cruise to Mexico before.  I will be as prepared as I can. Earplugs seem to help. I don’t get seasick, so that should help. 

• Like 1

I have been in porthole cabins and 1A's with portholes.  I was in cabin 2220 on the Splendor.  As with all of these cabins you will have times when the waves are crashing against the hull. I can't sleep without using ear plugs.  Even with the ear plugs in I can tell when a wave crashes because there is a definite vibration.  But with the ear plugs I am able to sleep well.  It seems like we had more crashing sounds when heading south away from Florida.  We didn't have much noise at all heading north back to Florida.

3 minutes ago, luv2trvlnow said:

I have been in porthole cabins and 1A's with portholes.  I was in cabin 2220 on the Splendor.  As with all of these cabins you will have times when the waves are crashing against the hull. I can't sleep without using ear plugs.  Even with the ear plugs in I can tell when a wave crashes because there is a definite vibration.  But with the ear plugs I am able to sleep well.  It seems like we had more crashing sounds when heading south away from Florida.  We didn't have much noise at all heading north back to Florida.

How true. The further forward the more the waves crash. Depends on how the ship is hitting the waves. The more the wind the higher the waves and the more the noise. If just looking for the lowest cost. Take the room furthest back at the same price. 

2 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

How true. The further forward the more the waves crash. Depends on how the ship is hitting the waves. The more the wind the higher the waves and the more the noise. If just looking for the lowest cost. Take the room furthest back at the same price. 

I believe on the Splendor all the porthole cabins are far forward on decks 1 and 2.  Cabin 2220 was the porthole furthest back and it is still loud. Just be aware. We happen to like them since they are similar to an ocean view  but with a porthole instead of a window.  We booked them often when they were priced for the same price as a 4A.  But Carnival changed their price and now we haven't booked them.

3 minutes ago, luv2trvlnow said:

I believe on the Splendor all the porthole cabins are far forward on decks 1 and 2.  Cabin 2220 was the porthole furthest back and it is still loud. Just be aware. We happen to like them since they are similar to an ocean view  but with a porthole instead of a window.  We booked them often when they were priced for the same price as a 4A.  But Carnival changed their price and now we haven't booked them.

We only did a forward port hole once. We now do mid ship bottom deck. Only about $10-$15 more pp. for the cruise. Worth it. Location for going somewhere is nice also.

We stayed in our first porthole last week. LOVED it! The room itself felt larger than the typical inside we usually book, and although I've always told myself that I love the darkness of the interiors (makes it so easy to sleep!), I actually loved sitting up on that ledge and curling up with a book or just looking out the windows for a few minutes while waiting for my hubby to shower. 

We're not in our rooms enough to warrant a higher cost for a window and certainly not for a balcony (we like being out and about on the ship, not holed up at the cabin), but this was nice, especially because it was the same price as an interior.

We did hear some anchor noise when we docked, but we were already up getting ready for port anyway, so no big deal. (It was like 5 minutes before we left to go to breakfast, so it certainly didn't wake us.) And it really wasn't much, or long. From hearing some people on hear describe it, I really thought it was going to be seriously loud. Meh, this was no big deal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crzndeb said:

We were on Imagination in a porthole cabin at the forward of the ship on Deck 6.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

We were on Imagination in a porthole cabin at the forward of the ship on Deck 6.

Ok, that make sense, since the Imagination decks start on deck 4. Does it have the open deck in front you can go out on?

Edited by crzndeb

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Ok, that make sense, since the Imagination decks start on deck 4. Does it have the open deck in front you can go out on?

No.  On Imagination and all Fantasy class ships, porthole cabins are located in the forward part of the hull, facing out the sides of the ship onto the ocean.  There is no walkway in front of them.  The only forward-facing decks on these ships are the end of the Sun deck (14) and the Veranda deck (11); they get locked down in open sea or during high winds.  However, you can get to the Veranda one by cutting through the cabin hallway; the crew often forgets about that door.

Price-wise, portholes classified as a variant of an inside (why?), but in practice, they're oceanviews with two small round windows instead of one normal one.