Mariner Status Questuion

hmatt

We will be in the middle of a cruise when we reach four star mariner, will the benefits begin then or on the next cruise? The cruise will be a Grand Voyage and free laundry would be nice,

Thank you,

Debbie

From the FAQ on the HAL website, Mariner program section:

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hmatt said:

We will be in the middle of a cruise when we reach four star mariner, will the benefits begin then or on the next cruise? The cruise will be a Grand Voyage and free laundry would be nice,

Thank you,

Debbie

Since you are on a Grand Cruise, the 4 Star benefits should take effect during your cruise.  Sometimes it will not happen until you begin a new segment (your cruise will be divided into multiple segments).  In your situation (and we have been in your situation) we would suggest paying a very friendly visit to the Guest Relations desk (early in your cruise) when the desk is not very busy.  Simply ask them about your status and when it will be changed.  Going from 3 to 4 Star is significant so its worth asking :).  If you plan on buying a wine package you might also want to chat with the Sommelier since the cost as a 3 Star is discounted by 50%.  In some cases you might want to buy a smaller package (or no package at all) as a 3 Star...but buy a wine package as soon as they will give you the 4 Star discount.

Hank

7 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I think Hank mis-typed himself: 3* discount for wine packages is 25% and 4* is 50%. Obviously what he meant to see about waiting to buy big until 4* kicks in.

Hank has been sampling the wine packages again! 😁🍷

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone!  Sort of thought Hank had it backwards,  very useful info about getting to  guest relations early in Cruise though, will definitely do. Hank, I have been reading your comments for a long, long time, always  very informative and enjoyable, and usually I learn something. Everyone happy cruising!!

Debbie

So just to clarify - I have a 25 day cruise (Noordam, Sydney to Vancouver) that can also be booked as 2 separate trips of 16 days and 9 days. But it doesn’t appear to be a Grand Voyage. So my status wouldn’t change after the 16 day cruise?

11 minutes ago, CMDE said:

So just to clarify - I have a 25 day cruise (Noordam, Sydney to Vancouver) that can also be booked as 2 separate trips of 16 days and 9 days. But it doesn’t appear to be a Grand Voyage. So my status wouldn’t change after the 16 day cruise?

Am I correct that if a person booked them as 2 separate cruises and their status changed during the first one, then they would have the privileges for the 2nd voyage?

15 hours ago, syesmar said:

Am I correct that if a person booked them as 2 separate cruises and their status changed during the first one, then they would have the privileges for the 2nd voyage?

IF you only need the sea days to achieve the new status (not including on oboard spending/suite bonus) and IF you contact the Mariner society & bring your confirmation and Mariner record with you, then some have been successful with the change.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kazu said:

IF you only need the sea days to achieve the new status (not including on oboard spending/suite bonus) and IF you contact the Mariner society & bring your confirmation and Mariner record with you, then some have been successful with the change.

You are correct Kazu.

Twice that was how I successfully changed benefit status  on cruises, both 2 to 3 star and 3 to 4 star. Incidentally the first time only happened because I was proactive. Second time the service desk told me they were ready to automatically process over a dozen passengers status at the end of the segment. Not much consistency with this issue apparently.