Where the locals eat in Rome

Presto2

5 hours ago, Voelfgar said:

Our hotel concierge recommended a great restaurant in the Trastevere area of Rome. The name of the restaurant was Tonnarello. It was really good and as far as I could tell were the only tourists there, but we were inside and couldn't really see the people outside. But that whole area has a ton of restaurants, and checking other travel sites, Trastevere is where many of the locals eat.

Given the number of English reviews on TripAdvisor I would say it's been well discovered...

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Hey Cruisemom - is the place where you got the excellent artichokes the one you won't mention???  

I don't know if I should mention my "always on the first night in Rome" trattoria that is there by The Pantheon - it might be getting a little too much recognition and I may not be able to get my reservation. 😉

That's one of them. 

I think the other place is very well known now. Just make your reservations well in advance -- at least they take them there!

We typically try a few blocks off the main drag.  If the menu is printed in several languages we don't stop.  If we walk in and hear a lot of english being spoken, we walk.   If you look at the customers you can usually get a good idea if it is 'local' or not.  We gave up depending on guide book reviews.

I had a thought...might make sense, might not. Since I know I brought up the thought, and others have too, of giving away one's favorite spot for fear of it being found out (mind you, I didn't withhold, I just sort of wander around and look for places wherever I go; I walk the talk 😉 ) but....maybe one way to clue people in to some of your favorite Roman restaurants, is by actually offering some clues.

Whether it's by using some Italian, or riddles, or other indirect allusions that won't make it easy to find your heavenly little trattoria but if someone is willing to do some extra pre-trip homework, might find themselves at a table enjoying a feast they'll long remember in Rome. To the victor goes the spoils...and a little Sambuca with the espresso maybe, although that might be for a bit further south 😉

Just a thought? 

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

That's one of them. 

I think the other place is very well known now. Just make your reservations well in advance -- at least they take them there!

I always make reservations as soon as I know I'm going to Rome!   An email, an international phone call, an email to my Concierge - always.  

On 7/29/2019 at 1:54 PM, slidergirl said:

Hey Cruisemom - is the place where you got the excellent artichokes the one you won't mention???  

I don't know if I should mention my "always on the first night in Rome" trattoria that is there by The Pantheon - it might be getting a little too much recognition and I may not be able to get my reservation. 😉

I would love to hear about your "always on the first night in Rome" trattoria by the Pantheon if you're willing to share. We'll be staying in that area in a few months. 

3 hours ago, sunlover757 said:

I would love to hear about your "always on the first night in Rome" trattoria by the Pantheon if you're willing to share. We'll be staying in that area in a few months. 

OK.  Armando al Pantheon.  Reservations are a MUST.  you can go to their website, look at their menu, make a res...

It is a block to the right of the Pantheon (if you are facing the Pantheon).  

Also, head up to the rooftop bar at the Grand Hotel della Minerve, behind the Pantheon.   Then, in front of and to the right, there is a wonderful store that sells yummy pastries and makes good sandwiches.   Then, up the Piazza to the right, find Tazzo d' Oro Coffee.  My place for my espresso in the morning and the absolute favorite granita caffe con panna (coffee granita with whip cream).  Figure out what you want, go to the cashier and pay for it, take your receipt to the counter, put it down, wait for one of the baristas to serve you.  

On 7/31/2019 at 2:25 PM, slidergirl said:

OK.  Armando al Pantheon.  Reservations are a MUST.  you can go to their website, look at their menu, make a res...

Also, head up to the rooftop bar at the Grand Hotel della Minerve, behind the Pantheon.   Then, in front of and to the right, there is a wonderful store that sells yummy pastries and makes good sandwiches.   Then, up the Piazza to the right, find Tazzo d' Oro Coffee.  My place for my espresso in the morning and the absolute favorite granita caffe con panna (coffee granita with whip cream).  Figure out what you want, go to the cashier and pay for it, take your receipt to the counter, put it down, wait for one of the baristas to serve you.  

Thank you so much for this information. You just made my day! Can't wait to be there .... 

• Like 1

Just now, sunlover757 said:

Thank you so much for this information. You just made my day! Can't wait to be there .... 

My pleasure.

Delta is having a fare sale right now.  I'm trying to rationalize if a Basic Economy fare (aka - sitting in a middle seat because you can't reserve a seat) is worth a few days in Rome...  I may take it up and hit it up this Fall.

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

My pleasure.

Delta is having a fare sale right now.  I'm trying to rationalize if a Basic Economy fare (aka - sitting in a middle seat because you can't reserve a seat) is worth a few days in Rome...  I may take it up and hit it up this Fall.

Yes, I jumped on a good Delta fare a couple of weeks ago and am looking at 10 days in and around Rome in the fall.    🛵

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, I jumped on a good Delta fare a couple of weeks ago and am looking at 10 days in and around Rome in the fall.    🛵

I have to really think about it - my brain is saying "no, use the money for what you need" but my heart is saying "do it, you will probably not get back."    $640 round trip, sitting in the middle, blowing my frequent guest miles to stay a night here and there, only pay for food and local transportation....   

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 3:59 PM, slidergirl said:

My pleasure.

Brave soul. 😳  I'm not sure I could do that but I guess it depends on how good the sale is. And if it's in January. I've done that - Paris (& quick London jaunt - I had the Crown Jewels all to myself, so to speak), but it wasn't the middle seat 😉 

7 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Brave soul. 😳  I'm not sure I could do that but I guess it depends on how good the sale is. And if it's in January. I've done that - Paris (& quick London jaunt - I had the Crown Jewels all to myself, so to speak), but it wasn't the middle seat 😉 

I chickened out.  It wasn't the flight, but my common sense.  I can use that money towards a new pair of snow tires for winter.  Where I live and work, 4x4 and snow tires (NOT all-seasons) are required.  I'll probably end up putting my tent, sleeping bag, kitchen box and stove in the car and take a few days to Grand Staircase/Escalante and Bear Ears National Monuments before it is decimated by mining and fracking,  

10 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I chickened out.  It wasn't the flight, but my common sense.  I can use that money towards a new pair of snow tires for winter.  Where I live and work, 4x4 and snow tires (NOT all-seasons) are required.  I'll probably end up putting my tent, sleeping bag, kitchen box and stove in the car and take a few days to Grand Staircase/Escalante and Bear Ears National Monuments before it is decimated by mining and fracking,  

Oh too bad -- but safety first, right? 😣

And you won't have to face the dreaded middle seat. 

22 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Oh too bad -- but safety first, right? 😣

And you won't have to face the dreaded middle seat. 

Yeah.  After hitting a guardrail (keeping me from going over the edge) one year and doing a "270" on the road the next year, my tires are ahead of a vacation.  4 snow tires for my car is about $700 (with install).  

Sigh.  I'll try for the next sale.   I've been spoiled by being able to fly Business the last couple of trips - I'm not sure I could deal with Economy, let alone the Basic Economy middle seat!

I haven't been to Rome in January, but I have been to Venice in February...

Edited by slidergirl

I've kind of come around to paying for an upgrade for the flight over, when I want to sleep, and suffering through a regular economy seat for the ride home when I'm rested (and hopefully less cranky).  A few decades (and a couple of dozen lbs.) ago it was easier to deal with the economy seats, not so much anymore.

15 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Yeah.  After hitting a guardrail (keeping me from going over the edge) one year and doing a "270" on the road the next year, my tires are ahead of a vacation.  4 snow tires for my car is about $700 (with install).  

Sigh.  I'll try for the next sale.   I've been spoiled by being able to fly Business the last couple of trips - I'm not sure I could deal with Economy, let alone the Basic Economy middle seat!

I haven't been to Rome in January, but I have been to Venice in February...

Sounds a hairy place to live.Is that why you' re called slidergirl.

Edited by brian1

9 hours ago, brian1 said:

Sounds a hairy place to live.Is that why you' re called slidergirl.

It's an "interesting" 10 mile commute to work.  It's the last 2 miles that are bad - a road with a 6% grade, and then a little connector road on the side of the hill that's barely 2 lanes that has a 180 degree turn at the top (where I hit the guardrail).  Outside of November-March (with some bad April days), it is a nice drive.  Think of driving the road among the Dolomites - beautiful in the Summer, but  "interesting" in Winter.  

I'm called slidergirl for some sports I used to be involved with.   

No worries,just my silly sense of humour.We cross the Alps every December and March,but straight down the middle and thru the Gottard tunnel.All the bad snow is way above us.Italian law still requires us to carry snowchains in Northern Italy,even on the motorway.All the best,Brian.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 12:25 PM, slidergirl said:

I've made a reservation for us in mid November. Now to decide what to order! 

1 hour ago, Alaskanb said:

I've made a reservation for us in mid November. Now to decide what to order! 

I highly recommend the bruschetta alla serafini as a starter.

A word of warning: if their daily special sounds good to you, order it right away. It sometimes sells out FAST.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I highly recommend the bruschetta alla serafini as a starter.

A word of warning: if their daily special sounds good to you, order it right away. It sometimes sells out FAST.

YES on the daily special.   I love their artichokes, too (they only have them in season),   If I go there on a Thursday, I get gnocchi in gorgonzola sauce.  I'm a sucker for gnocchi anywhere (I also get it as my appetizer at another favorite restaurant).  I was there once when wild strawberries were in season and there was a special someone told me to ask about - that pasta dish was unique and yummy.  I want to go there on a night when they have the anchovies on the menu - it sounds good, too.  Everything sounds good (well, except for the trippa).  One of my quirks Italy is to always have a contorni of greens or beans.  Armando's cicoria (chicory - I can only find it on menus in Italy)  is simple but so good.  Save room for one of the sister's desserts - the hazelnut torte is yummy.   

• 4 months later...

I'm following this thread and love all the wonderful ideas I've heard from you.  We are in Rome for about 5 days before our cruise in mid May. 

Does anyone know what the weather will be like?  Will we be able to eat outside at these trattoria?

A funny thing happened to us in the U.S.A - we had breakfast at the hotel which was included and took a picture of ourselves in front of the hotel to send to our kids and one of them asked how the breakfast was?  I said it was not the best. He said " Really? The IHOP is always delicious!" We didn't know what IHOP was at the time as there aren't any in Canada yet, which was right beside our hotel.  We sure do now! Hahahah 

29 minutes ago, JenGi said:

I'm following this thread and love all the wonderful ideas I've heard from you.  We are in Rome for about 5 days before our cruise in mid May. 

Does anyone know what the weather will be like?  Will we be able to eat outside at these trattoria?

You should be able to eat outside at any restaurant with outdoor seating in May. Even in cooler months they have those outdoor heat lamps in many places -- but by May they aren't needed.

Note that Armando al Pantheon (discussed above) only has a small, indoor dining room. This is true for a number of the really good places that don't cater just to tourists. (...although Armando gets plenty of tourists these days.)

• Thanks 1