Explorer of the Seas - aft corner balcony view lines

Will be sailing on the EOS next year.  I was thinking of booking an aft corner balcony in order to not miss a chance to see Stromboli as we pass (twice - once on the way to Greece and then coming back.  For those of you who have sailed in those cabins, is the view sufficient?  Thank you!

Edited by meaclasact2
revised topic

We had a deck 7 corner aft on Explorer last fall for an Alaskan cruise. We loved it! Every morning we sat out there (under a down blanket) and watched the sun rise on the mountains and the whales wake up as we sailed though the inside passage. You sort of a get a view of where you’ve been, as opposed to where you’re going but I love it. One thing to note is that the corner afts have great views of the wake and one of the sides, but if the ‘main attraction’ is on the opposite side, you either have to wait for the ship to turn or you might not get a great view. When we sailed into the fjord to see the glacier, the ship did a  few 360 turns so we had excellent views. 

C5FA6BBA-FD60-4A3E-AEF5-ECEB6E86ACA6.jpeg

4AAA8A16-7EF0-4787-B751-8BD6B1F748CA.jpeg

10F4BD05-FA35-4ACB-B015-6BD97BA53C99.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BixBebe said:

We had a deck 7 corner aft on Explorer last fall for an Alaskan cruise. We loved it! Every morning we sat out there (under a down blanket) and watched the sun rise on the mountains and the whales wake up as we sailed though the inside passage. You sort of a get a view of where you’ve been, as opposed to where you’re going but I love it. One thing to note is that the corner afts have great views of the wake and one of the sides, but if the ‘main attraction’ is on the opposite side, you either have to wait for the ship to turn or you might not get a great view. When we sailed into the fjord to see the glacier, the ship did a  few 360 turns so we had excellent views. 

C5FA6BBA-FD60-4A3E-AEF5-ECEB6E86ACA6.jpeg

4AAA8A16-7EF0-4787-B751-8BD6B1F748CA.jpeg

10F4BD05-FA35-4ACB-B015-6BD97BA53C99.jpeg

Edited by meaclasact2
Revised message

Thank you for your response.  I think we will be OK - the site we want to see is Stromboli and if she is on th opposite side we will eventually pass her and I will see if whether or not she is erupting.  The sight line looks incredible!  Another responder sent a video from another ships aft balcony - there was a pole in the room.  Did you have a pole in the middle of your room?  If so, did you find it a bother - my concern is safety - if one of us needs to get up in the middle of the night.  Thank you again!

12 hours ago, meaclasact2 said:

I'm looking at Deck 10. 

We have sailed as a family group in 1388, 1390, 1392, 1690 and 1688. We like deck 10 as there is no obstruction like you get on lower decks from the voyager class superstructure, also decks are stepped down so the deck above you can see some of the deck below.

Cabin 1388 and 1688 would be my pick, as we like the spacious cabin size, about the size of a JS. The balcony is a bit of an odd shape in comparison to the other afts but provides some extra shelter, only issue is if on a warmer sailing you get less breeze passing through as it's a bit cave like and can get reallly hot.

The bottom pic is 1390, which shows the openness of the balcony in comparison to the curve of 1388 shown below.20170216_070610.thumb.jpg.92473d84403062233f215dbbcc50af16.jpg

Just be aware, we encountered a strong 'sewerage' smell when ship is moving, there are some threads discussing this, apparently EOS in particular has issues with this.

20170220_141919.jpg

20170214_190110.jpg

The views to the back will be phenomenal. However, the views looking forward may not be as good as you might expect. Just because you are on the corner, that does not mean you'll be able to look forward up the side of the ship. The cabin is on the corner but the back of the ship is rounded so you will not have a full view looking forward.

Great views and very large cabins and balconies on deck ten, we had a grand suite but visited a couple we meet in there corner aft on deck ten , balcony was way bigger than our suite, really nice cabin. I would book it ASAP.