Small cruise ships

lenquixote66

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

With the exception of harbour or river ferries, most Ro/Pax operate in similar conditions to most of the cruise ships. The primary difference to the handling differences between ferries and cruise ships is due to the stability characteristics.

Ferries tend to be very stiff, especially catamarans, which results from a high GM. This restricts the ship from leaning over too far, but also causes it to snap back. With large 40 ton lorries on vehicle decks, even if chained down you don't want the ship leaning over to high angles of heel. It also provides flexibility during loading discharging.

Cruise ships tend to have much smaller GM's, so are more tender. While they may roll more, it is a much more gentle roll, which is reduced by stabalisers. The stabalisers on my last ship reduced max speed by 0.25 kts, so it was minimal. In addition, they also require additional fuel.

Thanks, it's good to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about! 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2019 at 9:05 PM, lenquixote66 said:

What is the smallest (number of passengers) cruise ship you ever sailed on .

We were on a Cunard cruise from NY to Bermuda,7 nights ,806 passengers.

It was a wonderful experience.

Sea Dream (both I and II they are pretty much identical) - capacity is 112 passengers and on one cruise with them (we have several there were about 70 on board. Wife has done 4 a number of crossings on  them and been on board with about 50 people. Very smooth riding ships.

Edited by zqvol

I adore cruising on the Pacific Princess (670 passengers) ….. have done several on her and also have cruised on her sister ship, the one-time Tahitian Princess,  and later also sailed on her after she was renamed the Ocean Princess. I'll be back on the Pacific Princess later this year for 29 wonderful days to celebrate a major birthday.

1 hour ago, flamomo said:

I adore cruising on the Pacific Princess (670 passengers) ….. have done several on her and also have cruised on her sister ship, the one-time Tahitian Princess,  and later also sailed on her after she was renamed the Ocean Princess. I'll be back on the Pacific Princess later this year for 29 wonderful days to celebrate a major birthday.

This was also originally a renaissance cruise ship

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:51 AM, davekathy said:

1991 American Hawaii Cruises. SS Constitution. 20,221 GTR. 1,073 passengers. 

Regent seven seas Navigator has 490 passengers and is perfect for an intimate feel, it's also quality so no queues or nickel and diming as its all inclusive. Been on smaller boats like in the Galapagos, can be too small to get away from others or have your own space. River boats are good but the cabins are tiny, can feel claustrophobic especially if weather is poor and can't use open top deck.

We took the Xpedition twice.  Both times it was under capacity and we loved it.

Second smallest was the Viking Yangtze River cruise.  I'd have to look up the name of the ship.  Our cabin was quite uncomfortable.  The humidity was so bad the sheets were damp to the touch when you went to bed.