Easiest transportation from Venice Port to St. Marks Square?

travelbug4

Good morning.

Has anyone been on the Infinity or other Celebrity ship recently in Venice that has some insight into traveling from the Venice port to St. Marks Square and also from a Venice hotel to the port.

I've been doing a lot of reading and I've heard that some ships offer a shuttle?  Does the Infinity offer one?   I've also read that the Vaporetto does not stop at the cruise port Stazione Marittime and the closest stop in the Piazzaol Roma and then it's a 15 minute walk or a People Mover (still reading up on navigating that).

Just curious if anyone has been there recently and has some tips on how to get from a hotel to the ship (with luggage).   And then the next day from the ship to St. Marks Square the most efficiently.   It would be most appreciated!  Hoping to wrap my head around this before we leave. 🙂

Thank you!

Good morning,

Sorry, I can't help with transportation from your hotel to the cruiseport...but when we sailed into Venice a few years ago, we just walked from the ship to St. Mark's.  It was a nice walk and we got to see a lot of Venice that is off the beaten path.  We followed Rick Steves walking directions, but also found that most street signs (on the sides of the buildings) point you in the direction of the Square.  We stopped at a great little restaurant for dinner (we arrived mid-afternoon) and eventually made our way to the Square.  After a few hours of wandering, we took a water taxi back to the ship.

We used Alilaguna waterbus right from our pier to San Marco when we disembarked

https://www.alilaguna.it/en/cruise-terminal-venice-and-vice-versa

You can also reach it by vaporetto, but I think you need to use Peoplemover first to get to Piazalle Roma.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

We used Alilaguna waterbus right from our pier to San Marco when we disembarked

https://www.alilaguna.it/en/cruise-terminal-venice-and-vice-versa

You can also reach it by vaporetto, but I think you need to use Peoplemover first to get to Piazalle Roma.

Tatka thanks for the info!   We will try the Alilaguna waterbus.  Could you just buy tickets right there or would you recommend buying them in advance?

Thank you!

1 minute ago, travelbug4 said:

Tatka thanks for the info!   We will try the Alilaguna waterbus.  Could you just buy tickets right there or would you recommend buying them in advance?

Thank you!

Yes you could! We were not sailing with Celebrity  that time (last year) and we were embarking and disembarking in Venice. On the day of our disembarkation there was regatta for gondolas so transportation was very limited. We were happy to discover that alilaguna is sailing right from the port as we had luggage with us too. We also used this service to get from airport to our hotel near Rialto/San Marco instead of using real bus + vaporetto. 

Check vaporetto  (regular waterbus service) too.

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

Yes you could! We were not sailing with Celebrity  that time (last year) and we were embarking and disembarking in Venice. On the day of our disembarkation there was regatta for gondolas so transportation was very limited. We were happy to discover that alilaguna is sailing right from the port as we had luggage with us too. We also used this service to get from airport to our hotel near Rialto/San Marco instead of using real bus + vaporetto. 

Check vaporetto  (regular waterbus service) too.

Thank you!  This is so helpful.

• Like 1

Someone had mentioned in another thread that Celebrity had a $20 day pass? from San Marco to the ship.   I called Celebrity yesterday to ask about it rather than buy multi day passes when we land (we will be in Venice before the cruise).  She said she didn't know anything about a $20 transportation day pass.  But I feel like it does exist because of the other thread.

Has anyone been to Venice in the past few weeks on Celebrity that might know more about it?   If the Celebrity pass is for 24 hours of just during the day.   Just trying to figure out what to buy at the airport.

Thanks 🙂

For those that can handle the walk, it is a true experience to walk from the port/Piazzo Roma to St Marks. You get a great feel of Venice, pass through a number of famous spots, and you walk through these small streets and then suddenly step out into the openness and beauty of St Marks, it is an experience! 

There are a ton of things to explore as you walk through. 

The gondolas are expensive, and there is a water taxi right in Piazzo Roma where you walk across the canal into the heart of Venice that has shuttles that stop at various places, ending in St Marks. 

For a hotel, send an email to them asking them to best/cheapest/most efficient way to get to them with luggage. I agree you don’t want to wander through the streets of Venice initially lugging luggage - that’s why those two words are very similar, four-wheeled or not. It’s cobblestones, narrow and lots of small bridges.....and one or two people walking with/against you.

Den

If you do the walk then look out for crossing the grand canal on the public gondola it is only 2 EU per person a very very cheep way to experience a quick shot on a goldola (3-5 mins). And is great for photos up and down the canal from its center .  One gives views of the Rialto too - you get it from near the fish market.  The other is further towards the academia area.  Spent a week in Venice in May and most tourists do not seem to know these exist. known as the traghetto (that's what it will be marked on the map as)

3 hours ago, travelbug4 said:

Someone had mentioned in another thread that Celebrity had a $20 day pass? from San Marco to the ship.   I called Celebrity yesterday to ask about it rather than buy multi day passes when we land (we will be in Venice before the cruise).  She said she didn't know anything about a $20 transportation day pass.  But I feel like it does exist because of the other thread.

Has anyone been to Venice in the past few weeks on Celebrity that might know more about it?   If the Celebrity pass is for 24 hours of just during the day.   Just trying to figure out what to buy at the airport.

Thanks 🙂

There's a posted daily on the Infinity 5-13 July sailing thread on the general Celebrity boards, have seen it too. We were on the 13-20 July sailing, there is a $20 day pass via Celebrity (probably not 24hr).

Alilaguna was 8 Euro single way per person, Blu line as said above. There is a ticket booth at the port at the Alilaguna dock. Infinity docked closest to the booth/dock at terminal 107. There was a line/20 min wait to board the boat, they shifted the docks into a direct St Marks and other directions. To avoid that you might research if doing the regular/other directions boat will be an advantage over the packed direct boat. The other line seems to call at St Marks too, or a stop before or after or even at the opposite side of Venice. Which would also be a nice canal cruise if you beat the crowds by using a different stop!

The Celebrity boats (hired) docked next to the Alilaguna dock.

1 hour ago, fragilek said:

If you do the walk then look out for crossing the grand canal on the public gondola it is only 2 EU per person a very very cheep way to experience a quick shot on a goldola (3-5 mins). And is great for photos up and down the canal from its center .  One gives views of the Rialto too - you get it from near the fish market.  The other is further towards the academia area.  Spent a week in Venice in May and most tourists do not seem to know these exist. known as the traghetto (that's what it will be marked on the map as)

Did you have to stand up during the crossing, I believe that's the custom or even government rule from what I've read about it. :classic_smile: Just curious!

1 hour ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Did you have to stand up during the crossing, I believe that's the custom or even government rule from what I've read about it. :classic_smile: Just curious!

No some locals do but not even all of them. On one crossing we had a welsh choir and the 2 gondoliers joined in - it was fab.  We were all seated.

• Like 1

One last question....I promise 🙂

Can you purchase a 24 hour Alilaguna pass using a credit card at the Zaterre stop? 

We will be in Venice for a few days but don't need Alilaguna until the last 24 hours and need to board at Zaterre near our hotel before heading to the ship.  And I've read if I purchase it at the airport when we land the clock starts on the 24 hour ticket at purchase and not when we first use it.

Thanks!

17 hours ago, travelbug4 said:

One last question....I promise 🙂

Can you purchase a 24 hour Alilaguna pass using a credit card at the Zaterre stop? 

We will be in Venice for a few days but don't need Alilaguna until the last 24 hours and need to board at Zaterre near our hotel before heading to the ship.  And I've read if I purchase it at the airport when we land the clock starts on the 24 hour ticket at purchase and not when we first use it.

Thanks!

Just making sure you are aware that the Alilaguna is totally different to the vaporetto bus service.

On the vaporetto you can purchase a 24h pass anytime but the clock doesn’t start ticking until you validate (punch) the pass in the little box.

Alilaguna tickets can be bought online [saves €1] 

There are only a few Alilaguna routes, and they are more expensive.  IIRC it was €7 from St Marks to the cruise terminal and €15 from airport to cruise terminal or St Marks.

Edited by little britain

6 hours ago, little britain said:

Just making sure you are aware that the Alilaguna is totally different to the vaporetto bus service.

On the vaporetto you can purchase a 24h pass anytime but the clock doesn’t start ticking until you validate (punch) the pass in the little box.

There are only a few Alilaguna routes, and they are more expensive.  IIRC it was €7 from St Marks to the cruise terminal and €15 from airport to cruise terminal or St Marks.

Hi.

Thank you, yes, the Alilaguna and the regular vaporetto are different but only the Alilaguna boats go to the cruise ship terminal.  The regular vaporetto do not from what I've learned.  And we were hoping to go directly there.

We basically need a one way from Zaterre to the cruise port (with luggage) and then two roundtrips total from the cruise port to San Marco (one Saturday and one Sunday).  So we thought that a 24 hour pass would do the trick.  But we need to buy it at Zaterre and was curious if anyone has purchased a 24 hour pass with a credit card at that stop.

Although I just read the Alilaguna schedule and it looks like the last boat from San Marco to the ship is 6:58pm which doesn't allow us to stay out past that time and use the Alilaguna boat to get back.    Hmmmm.  I may have to look at the people mover route again.

I'm sure this will all fall into place when we get there. 🙂

35 minutes ago, travelbug4 said:

Hi.

Thank you, yes, the Alilaguna and the regular vaporetto are different but only the Alilaguna boats go to the cruise ship terminal.  The regular vaporetto do not from what I've learned.  And we were hoping to go directly there.

We basically need a one way from Zaterre to the cruise port (with luggage) and then two roundtrips total from the cruise port to San Marco (one Saturday and one Sunday).  So we thought that a 24 hour pass would do the trick.  But we need to buy it at Zaterre and was curious if anyone has purchased a 24 hour pass with a credit card at that stop.

Although I just read the Alilaguna schedule and it looks like the last boat from San Marco to the ship is 6:58pm which doesn't allow us to stay out past that time and use the Alilaguna boat to get back.    Hmmmm.  I may have to look at the people mover route again.

I'm sure this will all fall into place when we get there. 🙂

As the Alilaguna is very expensive in relation to the 24hr pass, personally I would take the People mover €1.50 to Piazzale Roma, then buy your 24hr vaporetto pass €20, stamp it to start the clock; and then take the leisurely vaporetto down the Grand Canal.

8 hours ago, little britain said:

8 Euro last month. :classic_smile: