Has anyone been keeping up with the continued 2nd Entree surcharges in the MDR?

Cruisegoer

12 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I'd like to see a "sampler plate" offered as a entree - smaller portions of 2-4 of the entrees with a choice of starch.  I've had things like that on land-based restaurants and it offers the ability to sample 2 different fishes/fowl for the same "size" as a single entree.  Less food waste and more adventure!  

Good idea. Sometimes, but only if the situation allows, DH and I share two different courses. Out of curiosity or if we just cannot decide….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I would have been astonished and disgusted at the same time.  He would have been a perfect ad for the extra charge!  I was one who was OK with the extra charge for each additional full entree.   I never understood why some people feel the need to "strap on the feed bag" just because they are on a cruise...  Sure, try different things, but do you really need that much food?  I'd like to see a "sampler plate" offered as a entree - smaller portions of 2-4 of the entrees with a choice of starch.  I've had things like that on land-based restaurants and it offers the ability to sample 2 different fishes/fowl for the same "size" as a single entree.  Less food waste and more adventure!  

Great idea!

On 7/22/2019 at 4:52 PM, avian777 said:

I agree 100%, mainly because I'm sick and tired of subsidizing other people's gluttony!

If food waste really bothers you and you don't like subsidizing other people's gluttony, you should take a trip to the Lido at dinner time when lobster and filet is served.   THAT is gluttony.   Probably 1/4 of the food taken in the Lido is wasted.   The MDR is nothing compared to the waste in the Lido.   HAL should post the old adage "Take all you want, but eat all you take".

8 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

If food waste really bothers you and you don't like subsidizing other people's gluttony, you should take a trip to the Lido at dinner time when lobster and filet is served.   THAT is gluttony.   Probably 1/4 of the food taken in the Lido is wasted.   The MDR is nothing compared to the waste in the Lido.   HAL should post the old adage "Take all you want, but eat all you take".

Gluttony is expected at at buffet.  It's uncontrolled eating in a casual environment.  But, the MDR is a supposed "fine dining" venue and I would expect diners to have a bit more "couth" than to order multiple plates of each course.  Just because you can doesn't mean you should...  If you are hungry after your fine dining experience, feel free to join those in the buffet to fill up.

19 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I would have been astonished and disgusted at the same time.  He would have been a perfect ad for the extra charge!  I was one who was OK with the extra charge for each additional full entree.   I never understood why some people feel the need to "strap on the feed bag" just because they are on a cruise...  Sure, try different things, but do you really need that much food?  ...

Agree 100%.

23 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

On a ship of more than 1,000 souls, isn't it likely that you'll always be subsidizing things used by others that you don't use? And also likely that others may be subsidizing things you like/enjoy/appreciate?  

For example, I have not been in a pool on board a cruise ship since probably 1997. I haven't utilized the children's programs on a ship since 2008.  Does that give me the right to say I am "sick and tired" of subsidizing those things just because others choose to cruise with their children or enjoy a dunk in the pool?

Moreover, I pay for two people every time I sail solo. Do I enjoy subsidizing the cruise line's model of how revenue onboard is generated? Of course not.  But I accept that "it is what it is" since it is unlikely I can change it.

I don't get why this has to devolve into finger-pointing and petty comments. 

Like you, I "don't get why this has to devolve into finger-pointing and petty comments".  However, unlike you, I did not point fingers at anyone - I merely said that I do not like to subsidize other people's extravagances ... just as you do not "enjoy subsidizing the cruise line's model of how revenue onboard is generated".

15 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

I agree and also object to subsidizing the Lido gluttony.

6 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Gluttony is expected at at buffet.  It's uncontrolled eating in a casual environment.  But, the MDR is a supposed "fine dining" venue and I would expect diners to have a bit more "couth" than to order multiple plates of each course.  Just because you can doesn't mean you should...  If you are hungry after your fine dining experience, feel free to join those in the buffet to fill up.

Agree 100%