Ultimate Dining Package reservations

You guys are so helpful I and I have so many questions.  Sorry in advance newbie to cruising!

For the ultimate dining package, I cannot book reservations for the specialty dining online and have to wait until I board? Is that right? RCCL makes all the reservations for me for the 7 nights?   Has anyone had issues changing the reservations?   What are your thoughts on this package? 

Thanks again everyone! 

You make the reservations onboard.  When you purchase you're asked to pick a time for night 1 and Royal makes the first night's reservation (or they used to).  We splurged on the dining package for our symphony cruise and I'm looking forward to it.

26 minutes ago, MonikaJ42 said:

You guys are so helpful I and I have so many questions.  Sorry in advance newbie to cruising!

For the ultimate dining package, I cannot book reservations for the specialty dining online and have to wait until I board? Is that right? RCCL makes all the reservations for me for the 7 nights?   Has anyone had issues changing the reservations?   What are your thoughts on this package? 

Thanks again everyone! 

No one makes any reservations for you on the Symphony.  After you board, go to any one of the specialty restaurants and they can make all of your reservations for you.

You don't HAVE to make them all at once.  You can try winging it.  But you probably would want to have something set for each night.  You can always change things later, based on how much you like or don't like a restaurant.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RG306 said:

You make the reservations onboard.  When you purchase you're asked to pick a time for night 1 and Royal makes the first night's reservation (or they used to).  We splurged on the dining package for our symphony cruise and I'm looking forward to it.

This is correct based on the information that we have been provided.  We splurged for the UDP on our upcoming Allure sailing too.  We selected a time that we would like to dine.  Royal will make the first night reservation for us and the information will be  in our stateroom when we arrive.  Then once onboard we can make the remainder of our reservations.

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

No one makes any reservations for you on the Symphony.  After you board, go to any one of the specialty restaurants and they can make all of your reservations for you.

You don't HAVE to make them all at once.  You can try winging it.  But you probably would want to have something set for each night.  You can always change things later, based on how much you like or don't like a restaurant.

This seems like it is probably answering a question I had in my head, I just want to confirm.  I am new to RCI, first cruise on Oasis next May.  I got the UDP and I'm familiar at a high level that reservations had to be made on board and it's good to do so as soon as possible once you board. 

As I've never cruised with RCI before, in my mind I'm envisioning boarding the ship and finding my way immediately to some long line at a guest service counter or something to make the reservations.  In this post you mention going to any of the specialty restaurants and they can make all reservations for you.  Pretty much my first goal on boarding the ship will be to line up dining & show reservations.  Is this how you'd recommend handling reservations once on board?  Just walk into any specialty restaurant and ask to make reservations for the week?  Are they open early in the day on embarkation day to handle this?  Thanks!

This is what I am worried about.  Reservations are open to book if you don’t have the unlimited package so what times are going to be left when you board. Not sure why RCCL does it this way and not have reservations open to everyone. 

3 minutes ago, MonikaJ42 said:

This is what I am worried about.  Reservations are open to book if you don’t have the unlimited package so what times are going to be left when you board. Not sure why RCCL does it this way and not have reservations open to everyone. 

Yeah, I have thought about this too.  Its really gonna suck if Ive spent 350.00 on a package only to find out that pretty much everywhere I want to eat that week is already booked.  

Not sure about your ship, but we UDP on independence last March, full ship.  We boarded(it was pretty early, probably in the first 200 on board) and made all of our reservations that first night with the lady at Chops.  Later that afernoon I was walking around the ship and found the hibachi restaurant.  I had heard that you could get this on the first night if it was available.  I asked and was given it.  A small fee showed up on my bill later(I think $5-10) afterward that I know wasn't discussed, but every time I went by the front desk with the idea of trying to get it fixed, the line was too long to deal with ,so they got me for $10.  It was worth it tho, really good, entertaining meal.  Getting other times was pretty easy.  I have been on a ship and tried to go to chops and been told it was full, but I think they hada special corporate event that night.

Dan  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

This seems like it is probably answering a question I had in my head, I just want to confirm.  I am new to RCI, first cruise on Oasis next May.  I got the UDP and I'm familiar at a high level that reservations had to be made on board and it's good to do so as soon as possible once you board. 

As I've never cruised with RCI before, in my mind I'm envisioning boarding the ship and finding my way immediately to some long line at a guest service counter or something to make the reservations.  In this post you mention going to any of the specialty restaurants and they can make all reservations for you.  Pretty much my first goal on boarding the ship will be to line up dining & show reservations.  Is this how you'd recommend handling reservations once on board?  Just walk into any specialty restaurant and ask to make reservations for the week?  Are they open early in the day on embarkation day to handle this?  Thanks!

You can and should do your show reservations online prior to the cruise.  As for UDP reservations it is my understanding from speaking to a cruise representative and reading the CC boards that you can go to any specialty restaurant upon boarding and make all the reservations for the cruise.  Also if you are traveling with other people in different cabins one person can make the dinner reservations as long as that person knows all the other room numbers.  We are doing UDP on Harmony for the first time in October so I will have a better idea of how it works after that.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ryano said:

Yeah, I have thought about this too.  Its really gonna suck if Ive spent 350.00 on a package only to find out that pretty much everywhere I want to eat that week is already booked.  

There are so many options for booking reservations on boarding day, I wouldn't worry about it.

1. Guest services

2. Pick up any phone on the ship and call Guest Services.

3. Any Restaurant, specialty, or otherwise.

4. If you're a Diamond or above, the DC can book your reservations.

5. The specialty restaurant sales people that are all over the ship on boarding day can make all your reservations.

6. Heck, I think even your room steward and bartenders can make reservations.

You don't have to be stuck in long lines to do it, but on Oasis class, I would definitely make them on boarding day, they fill up fast.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MonikaJ42 said:

The reason is, those that booked online paid full price for their meal.  You are giving up that first choice of times for paying considerably less.  If you want specific places at certain times, you can do that by paying full price.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MonikaJ42 said:

Thanks again everyone! 

Great choice for 7 nights, on a 14 night transatlantic it is way to repetitive. There will most likely be no pre reservation made for night one. First stop after boarding is to make your reservations. Ship the kiosk in the promenade and go up to Wonderland to make all your reservations, chops and 150 usually have lines of people waiting to make reservations.  If you want to eat at 6:30 it might be a little tough, we have had packages on Oasis Class ships and have never had any issue eating after 8:30pm. You also have sea day lunches included in the package. Don't miss JR breakfast, always no charge on Oasis Class. happy cruising  PS, we were told, but it didn't work for us,  that you can make dining reservations on the app if you are in the terminal before boarding time and after you check in.