Crown Princess British Isles...Just Back

grak

The cruise was great, staff outstanding! Some glitches...TVs had to constantly be rebooted, the worst was the three embarkation/disembarkation ports ..Dublin, LeHarve, South Hampton. Princess tried to do it right but it was mostly mass confusion for passengers in transit. We got on in Dublin, didn't have customs check until Cobh. Customs went fast but some technical issue wouldn’t let some of us off the ship for awhile. Excursions were delayed. In South Hampton returning passengers from excursions weren’t let back on the ship..we had to wait i

with “new” passengers. That issues was solved eventually, but we were sent to several different lines. I wouldn’t book another cruise with several embarkation/disembarkation ports again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did the June 18th one and I am sad to hear that the TV's still need to be constantly rebooted. Of course they were "going to look into it". And I agree about the multiple embarkation ports, it was easier for us since we boarded in Southampton with most of the other passengers. I saw how different it was for the Dublin and Le Havre passengers. 

1 hour ago, grak said:

The cruise was great, staff outstanding! Some glitches...TVs had to constantly be rebooted, the worst was the three embarkation/disembarkation ports ..Dublin, LeHarve, South Hampton. Princess tried to do it right but it was mostly mass confusion for passengers in transit. We got on in Dublin, didn't have customs check until Cobh. Customs went fast but some technical issue wouldn’t let some of us off the ship for awhile. Excursions were delayed. In South Hampton returning passengers from excursions weren’t let back on the ship..we had to wait i

with “new” passengers. That issues was solved eventually, but we were sent to several different lines. I wouldn’t book another cruise with several embarkation/disembarkation ports again.

UGH!  I am on such an itinerary in September.  This does not seem good at all.  Princess needs to get their act together, hopefully before my cruise.  I would be annoyed for sure.  I don't really like b2b and this upcoming trip I have all of this.  UGH!

Surely by September they’d have it under control.  I’ve heard the first couple of cruises before mine it was even worse so MAYBE they’re getting it figured out. 

Rocklinmom...I’m from Auburn. I don’t know Thrak.

14 hours ago, grak said:

Surely by September they’d have it under control.  I’ve heard the first couple of cruises before mine it was even worse so MAYBE they’re getting it figured out. 

Rocklinmom...I’m from Auburn. I don’t know Thrak.

I think someone else asked if you know Thrak?

But we Northern Californians have a lot in common for sure! 🙂

Edited by rocklinmom

10 hours ago, geoherb said:

Thanks for posting. I guess Princess learned a little since it's cutting Dublin as an embarkation port next year.

I hope the TVs are fixed by the time we board in two months.

Hint: we found that by unplugging the TV (the plug is way back on the wall so might need to stand on the chair) and then plugging it back in every morning, our TV would behave for the rest of the day. Otherwise we'd be halfway through a movie in the evening and it would go dark. 

We did this cruise end of May into first week of June.  Absolutely LOVED it!  Yes, it was cold for our standards but we're from Florida.  We had no problems with our TV.  There was confusion about pax embarking and debarking in Dublin and LeHarve.

For us who left from Southampton, there were no problems.  We actually talked to some folks who embarked in Dublin who were unaware that the majority of passengers got on in Southampton. They were perplexed on why everyone had already 'settled in' when they boarded the ship and thought people going on shore excursions were disembarking.

This is such a great itinerary, did it last year on the Royal Princess. I’m watching The Open now and remembering our fantastic private tour out of Belfast that visited Giants Causeway and various other scenic places and views of Royal Portrush golf course.  

So so much to see, we plan to do the same cruise again in a couple of years.  Ours only had embarkation in Southampton and LaHavre, but very few seemed to utilize that port for embarkation.  Sounds like adding a third point of embarkation was not a good idea. 

20 hours ago, grak said:

The cruise was great, staff outstanding!

Care to share what dining you enjoyed?  entertainment/lounges?  To me the negative about the ports could be PCL's or the local port's issues.  Would love to hear about the onboard experience.  Thanks.

14 hours ago, geoherb said:

Thanks for posting. I guess Princess learned a little since it's cutting Dublin as an embarkation port next year.

I hope the TVs are fixed by the time we board in two months.

Dublin Port Authority has made a decision to restrict all cruise lines not just Princess due to capacity issues as cruise ships are visiting more than the Port Authority can handle. This year there are 160 cruise ship visits to the port and they are hoping to reduce it to only 80 by 2021 so it is not just a Princess problem and I think it was out of their hands having to cancel Dublin as an embarkation port from 2020. The reason given by the port authority is the increase of container ships using Dublin after the UK leave the EU.

Edited by majortom10

5 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Care to share what dining you enjoyed?  entertainment/lounges?  To me the negative about the ports could be PCL's or the local port's issues.  Would love to hear about the onboard experience.  Thanks.

We had Club Class dining which didn’t really work out for us. We eat earlier than a majority of British Isles cruisers and a couple of times we were the ONLY patrons in the dining room. So on nights we wanted to eat early we went to the buffet.  Entertainment was good...enjoyed the two production shows. Two comedians...one great one not so much.,sorry can’t remember names.  All of the staff we interacted with were outstanding, friendly, seemed to really care.  

• Like 1

Our weather was chilly.....in Orkney it was also very windy,  we had some light showers on and off in Edinburgh. Everywhere else was sunny....still needed a sweater. We went on a similar cruise 2 years ago the first of May and had warm-ish sunny days everywhere we went. Layering is the key.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:16 PM, grak said:

Glad to hear your cruise was great!

I am embarking in Dublin next month and I'm wondering if you had to hand over your passport? From previous posts/reviews some passengers didn't have their passports for most of the cruise.