San Juan Protesters

thunter1224

1 hour ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

Most level-headed and reasonable leaders are asking for a "few weeks" while a capable  Secretary of State can be named and confirmed, so he/she can take over after the Governor resigns.  If he doesn't resign, well then, it's gridlock until the end of 2020, which is not necessarily a bad thing.  You see, after the hurricanes of 2017 we survived and did well enough with no functioning government for a long while, and the people realized that maybe we didn't need so much government at all. 

We also noted that much of the old style politics of "who you know" was a problem during the recovery, and that may go away, as well.  Although, our family did benefit a lot by "who you know"- my MIL got safe power faster when an inspector came by and said- "I know who can deal with this"....  She was one of the early ones who got power back (which solved a major panic situation for my wife and her sister).  

It's been interesting, and my wife is concerned that the recovery may stall with this- but what you suggest is that it's still the opposite- most of the recovery was in spite of the government and governor, so...  

Now if you can just get rid of the puppet and his show.  Heck, he's even on 93.7 now!  Ugh.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:32 AM, hallsn3961 said:

We are headed there Tuesday. I am a little concerned because I am pregnant.

If the boat is not diverted, for your safety and your baby do not go ashore.

Edited by gerelmx

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

The governor just resigned as of August 2nd so hopefully things will now get back to normal.

Well not sure how "normal" that may be.  The Constitutional successor is the Secretary of State, who resigned prior and helped kick off this muckaty muck.  So there could be some disputes as to the person picked to succeed him.

And while things should calm down by next week, who knows how much "celebrating" will go on and for how long.

9 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Well not sure how "normal" that may be.  The Constitutional successor is the Secretary of State, who resigned prior and helped kick off this muckaty muck.  So there could be some disputes as to the person picked to succeed him.

And while things should calm down by next week, who knows how much "celebrating" will go on and for how long.

Hopefully normal enough for the cruiselines to return to their schedules.

Hi all,

Everything is piping down in greater San Juan, and particularly in Old San Juan, after the governor announced his resignation and the sometimes raunchy celebration afterwards.

The governor is set to step down August 2 to allow for an orderly transition.  Slated to replace him according to the succession order is the current Secretary of Justice, unless a Secretary of State is found and confirmed by then.

I have very personal and contrarian opinions about what went through (I seldom go with the flow), but apart from the few late night riots (3 over a three week period), there were NO deaths or serious injuries or major property damage.  San Juan remains a safe destination and we've already had several port calls like then Seaside, Allure, all of Carnival's, etc.  The home porting ships have come and gone as scheduled without incident.  

Please come down without fear.  We desperately need you.  And thank you all for your concern.

Edited by Aviator of the Seas
  • Like 8

Thank you for your message.  I'll admit, I have reserved a room at the Decanter hotel in OSJ and I was a bit hesitant about it.  I even booked a back up hotel close to the Pan American pier just in case.  I'm glad things pretty much moved in an orderly fashion.  Everyone should have a right to protest.  I saw some posts where people felt the citizens of SJ were being selfish because it hurts tourism.  You have to follow your heart and if you truly believe in your cause, as long as it does not cause harm to property or others, I support it.  I hope folks are happier now!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, slyster said:

Thank you for your message.  I'll admit, I have reserved a room at the Decanter hotel in OSJ and I was a bit hesitant about it.  I even booked a back up hotel close to the Pan American pier just in case.  I'm glad things pretty much moved in an orderly fashion.  Everyone should have a right to protest.  I saw some posts where people felt the citizens of SJ were being selfish because it hurts tourism.  You have to follow your heart and if you truly believe in your cause, as long as it does not cause harm to property or others, I support it.  I hope folks are happier now!

We are booked for 2 nights at the Decanter for our March sailing. Looking forward to our first visit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We keep up on the news, and have not heard about new actual protests- but the bigger news is who is actually the new Governor.  It's not exactly clear who it is at this point.  Apparently the Senate had decided to not approve the appointment, which would have lead to the current person being the next in line.  

Which has set up a huge amount of confusion, especially since there is a pretty recent amendment that is part of this.  The SCoPR is being asked to decide it.

We made our scheduled stop in San Juan on 7/31 (Carnival Breeze). El Morro was open, so we visited the fort and then walked around downtown. The roads right around the Governor's mansion were closed with heavy police presence and the umbrellas have not been put back up along La Fortaleza. The shops had just reopened a couple of days before our visit and many of the buildings had large patches of fresh white paint to cover up graffiti that had been spray painted by protesters.

We were impressed with how calm everything was and ended up having a great day. 

4 hours ago, timandstaciejenner said:

Are the umbrellas back up? 

They were not up as of this past week. Local posters on the San Juan message Board on Trip Advisor, seem to think the umbrellas will not be put back up for a variety of reasons.

Edited by Racer70

18 hours ago, Racer70 said:

They were not up as of this past week. Local posters on the San Juan message Board on Trip Advisor, seem to think the umbrellas will not be put back up for a variety of reasons.

BUMMER! Seemed like a great tourist attraction! Maybe things will change by January 2020 when we cruise!