Success with sold out excursions?

zitsky

I just did a search, didn't find anything.  But I remember reading maybe 1 or 2 threads where people were successful in getting extra excursions added.  Whether same or a different time I am unsure.  Has anyone had any luck in getting into a sold out excursion?  I am on both sides of this.  One of my confirmed excursions is sold out (Gaudi Architecture).  The one I'm trying to get into is sold out (Croatian Delight Wine Tasting).

I know the key is.... "keep checking".  I wonder how well this has worked for anyone?

For me, it's not a critical, because we will use the time to walk around town, have lunch (AND wine!) somewhere.

I did email tellus this morning but no response yet.

We have had luck getting spots on sold out excursions several times, always before boarding the ship through My Viking Journey.  I don't know if it was because Viking added an additional bus, or because people changed their minds and altered their plans. I did not bother contacting Viking regarding my interest, although some people recommend that approach. I did keep checking regularly after my initial booking.

If those tours are of interest, why not search for a private operator that provides a similar tour? Rather than checking MVJ daily, personally I would rather spend a few hours of online research to find a private operator.

Once onboard we have had no issues cancelling/changing/booking excursions.  As others have said, get on the wait list and usually it works out.  Have done this on two "sold out" cruises as well, with successful results.  

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

If those tours are of interest, why not search for a private operator that provides a similar tour? Rather than checking MVJ daily, personally I would rather spend a few hours of online research to find a private operator.

We haven't done this with Viking, since we've only sailed with them 3 times and have generally been satisfied with their offerings. However, on a number of occasions with other cruise lines we have hooked up with private operators (sometimes they turned out to be the same company the cruise line was using). Again, the tours were usually satisfying, and they always less expensive than the cruise lines' optional tour prices.

Something to remember when booking a private excursion. You need to buy an outside private health insurance policy and you need to do it at the same time (there might be a week or two leeway) for the insurance to cover pre-existing conditions. I you slip and shatter your ankle, like I did, outside of the cruise ship on a private tour, no help. Foreign countries could care less about your insurance. They sure aren’t going to bill. Cash only. My insurance co no longer even pays out of state!  My husband’s does not pay out of the country. All expenses get paid by you but you get reimbursed later if you did it right before the trip. Worth a thought. 

Edited by trav25

trav25,

This is something new to me. Are you saying that you need a separate insurance policy to cover you on a private excursion? If you already have the cancel for any reason insurance for your trip, why wouldn't that cover you at all times? What if you are docked in port and walk off the ship on your own? I am not sure I understand why you need separate policies. 

I do know that you may have to pay out of pocket for medical emergencies and then be reimbursed  by the travel insurance. Did I just misunderstand your post?

3 hours ago, trav25 said:

Something to remember when booking a private excursion. You need to buy an outside private health insurance policy and you need to do it at the same time (there might be a week or two leeway) for the insurance to cover pre-existing conditions. I you slip and shatter your ankle, like I did, outside of the cruise ship on a private tour, no help. Foreign countries could care less about your insurance. They sure aren’t going to bill. Cash only. My insurance co no longer even pays out of state!  My husband’s does not pay out of the country. All expenses get paid by you but you get reimbursed later if you did it right before the trip. Worth a thought. 

Most insurance policies have differences between what is included, exclusions & claims procedures, so I suggest while you may have experienced this situation, it is not consistent with the medical insurance that we purchase. We are covered from when we leave our home Province until we return.

Whether we are flying, on the cruise ship, wandering ashore, or even private excursions we are covered. Provided any issue experienced does not have an exclusion and we follow the claims procedure, we are covered when taking private excursions. 

Best to ask Viking direct but I am planning on getting private travel insurance for any part of the trip that isn’t a Viking sanctioned flight, transfer or excursion. It goes by how much each thing (flight, transfer, excursions) costs. For anyone in the US, think about....getting hit by a car in a foreign country while on a private excursion or falling a breaking a limb while on a private excursion. There was a ton of paperwork when I got home both for Viking and for the other insurance. You have to show how you paid for each thing. Credit card statements, bank account statements, etc. etc. That said, I imagine Viking would pay if you just walked off on your own around town. Up to you. Ask the question to the cruise ship before assuming that an injury on a private excursion is covered. Just ask. Doesn’t hurt to ask. 

10 hours ago, trav25 said:

That said, I imagine Viking would pay if you just walked off on your own around town. Up to you. Ask the question to the cruise ship before assuming that an injury on a private excursion is covered. Just ask. Doesn’t hurt to ask. 

If you purchased the Viking Travel Insurance, you must read the terms & conditions carefully. While you pay the premium to Viking Cruises, the cruise line is only liable for benefits payable under Part A - which basically is the trip cancellation/interruption portion.

The medical/health component is covered in Part B. This is under-written by Arch Insurance company, under the name of Trip Mate Inc. All medical/baggage/personal  effects claims must be submitted to Trip Mate, not Viking Cruises, in accordance with their claims notification guidelines. Therefore, all benefits payable under Part B will be received from Trip Mate, not Viking.

16 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

If you purchased the Viking Travel Insurance, you must read the terms & conditions carefully. While you pay the premium to Viking Cruises, the cruise line is only liable for benefits payable under Part A - which basically is the trip cancellation/interruption portion.

The medical/health component is covered in Part B. This is under-written by Arch Insurance company, under the name of Trip Mate Inc. All medical/baggage/personal  effects claims must be submitted to Trip Mate, not Viking Cruises, in accordance with their claims notification guidelines. Therefore, all benefits payable under Part B will be received from Trip Mate, not Viking.

Forgive me I meant Tripmate. Believe me I know the difference. Tripmate is the insurance you get if you sign up through Viking. I had Tripmate pay (minus the cost of insurance) and Allianz pay for the non cruise portion. I fell going into the city before starting the cruise started. 

Trying, ineffectively,  to make the point that people buying Tripmate insurance should check to what it covers if you are doing an onshore excursion with a private company in a foreign country. 

On 7/29/2019 at 1:24 PM, Ditzy Dreamer said:

I went to the excursion desk as soon as we got on the ship and requested 8 spots on a sold out excursion.  The agent put us on a wait list.  We had tickets in our room that afternoon.  We were split into 2 groups which was fine.

Agreed!   We only had the two of us, but that has been our mode of operation on our past 2 cruises.  We immediately go put ourselves on wait lists for the ones we want.  They have always cleared!   The person told me many people in the expensive cabins pretty much book lots of excursions (and dining reservations) and when they get on board and get settled, they start cancelling some of them.  Happens all the time.

THEY ADDED ANOTHER BUS AT A DIFFERENT TIME FOR OUR 'SOLD OUT' EXCURSION.  wE HAD BOOKED THE 'INCLUDED' AT THAT TIME BUT THEY SWITCHED IT WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM.  Sorry for all the caps but I just now noticed and I'm not going to type it again.

Be aware that the number of people for some excursions is limited by the venue. We luckily got to see the Alhambra last spring, but it sold out almost immediately and many people we unable to go. Viking is only allowed a single tour bus and because of security it required a printed ticket with your name on it. During the tour people were randomly chosen to show their ID before they could enter. So even if people dropped out (which happened), no one else could take their place.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

2 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Be aware that the number of people for some excursions are limited by the venue. We luckily got to see the Alhambra last spring, but it sold out almost immediately and many people we unable to go. Viking is only allowed a single tour bus and because of security it required a printed ticket with your name on it. During the tour people were randomly chosen to show their ID before they could enter. So even if people dropped out, no one else could take their place.

I get that.  The wine tasting I want probably has a small group.  It's a small winery. 

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Be aware that the number of people for some excursions is limited by the venue. We luckily got to see the Alhambra last spring, but it sold out almost immediately and many people we unable to go. Viking is only allowed a single tour bus and because of security it required a printed ticket with your name on it. During the tour people were randomly chosen to show their ID before they could enter. So even if people dropped out (which happened), no one else could take their place.

If anyone is interested in Alhambra, suggest considering Spain Day Tour, who also provide a similar tour. Fraction of the cost of the ship's tour and for an extra 13 Euro they will order skip the line tickets. If time permits they also visit other attractions. 

You really do want medical insurance coverage when you are traveling out of USA.  Medicare has very limited out of country coverage with very strict rules (Canadian medical treatment much closer than being transported to USA hospital).  If you need medical treatment out side of the USA, you will need to pay up front before you are allowed to leave the country.  There are a very few insurance policies that will cover medical care while overseas (Federal Blue Cross/ Blue Shield and Tricare for Life. Even with these you may need to pay upfront and then file for reimbursement.

If you are doing independent pre-stay and/or post-stays, you may want to check on line for companies offering medical coverage and evacuation for 1 - 3 years policy for a flat fee.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2019 at 5:24 PM, zitsky said:

I just did a search, didn't find anything.  But I remember reading maybe 1 or 2 threads where people were successful in getting extra excursions added.  Whether same or a different time I am unsure.  Has anyone had any luck in getting into a sold out excursion?  I am on both sides of this.  One of my confirmed excursions is sold out (Gaudi Architecture).  The one I'm trying to get into is sold out (Croatian Delight Wine Tasting).

I know the key is.... "keep checking".  I wonder how well this has worked for anyone?

For me, it's not a critical, because we will use the time to walk around town, have lunch (AND wine!) somewhere.

I did email tellus this morning but no response yet.

Since this has gone adrift 😁 I will answer the original question. This is only our second VO cruise, but even though we got all the excursions we wanted, I keep checking just to see if they have added any.  They did. And yesterday, I noticed that a bunch of sold out excursions are now showing as open for booking. So there is hope. Maybe not for your Alhambra, though because of the limitations. 

I’m keeping an eye on all Alhambra mentions because we are doing the Trade Routes itinerary next year and that’s high on my list. There are 2 listed in the potential excursions. One during the day and one private access at night.  We are in a PV1 so I’m hoping to get one of the 2. 

I would say that, as a courtsey to your fellow guests, if you have signed up for a an included tour and then decide not to take it, that you cancel . This will allow those on the waitlist to be accomodated. Sometimes people think that since it is included everyone will get a spot so why cancel. This isn’t a.ways the case though .

On the insurance question.  Usually if your insurance is through the cruise company, it will cover you for your cruise, air if booked through cruise company and excursions through cruise company.  If you take a outside vendor tour or fall down when wandering around town on your own, it usually isn't covered.  You have to read the fine print.