Phantom debarkation day minibar charges

Xrayal

Tami, I feel the same way.  If the steward's boss told them who made a complaint....and they'd pretty much have to do so to ensure the problem was rectified....then I'd worry that the steward is mentally hanging me in effigy.  Luckily we've never had a steward that needed such intervention.  "Worst" we've had was a steward constantly forgetting the washcloths...or the bathmat...  We'd just call him and say we needed the items.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We’ve never had an issue with a room steward, but I would fear some type of retaliation if I reported him during our cruise. If you do report a service problem, do they change stewards?  I guess it’s similar to my fear of returning food at a restaurant. I’m always scared they will tamper with it if I do, so I usually don’t say anything. 

We have fortunately never had to complain about a cabin steward, but have heard of others who have had theirs changed. If not changed, I would definitely hide my toothbrush...🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Years ago at a Bora Bora hotel, we stored some meds in the rooms mini bar.  We re-arranged some of the contents in order to accommodate the meds containers.

We were hit with an enormous mini bar charge.  The hotel staff claimed there were sensors in the cooler that noticed the movement of the liquor bottles and put the charges on our bill.

Neither of us drink, but it was still a bit of an (unnecessary)  issue to get the charges reversed.

It’s hard to feel sorry for you, I mean you’ve actually been to Bora Bora!   😜😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We’ve never had an issue with a room steward, but I would fear some type of retaliation if I reported him during our cruise. If you do report a service problem, do they change stewards?  I guess it’s similar to my fear of returning food at a restaurant. I’m always scared they will tamper with it if I do, so I usually don’t say anything. 

That's a fair amount of fear when being in public. Unless the steward was planning on never working for the cruise line again, they would never jeopardize their career.

As for food, it could happen. I have worked in a few restaurant kitchens and have never seen it. Personally I would be more concerned about other hygiene/cleanliness issues in the kitchen.

Stayed at a boutique hotel on South Beach last January and check-in was painfully slow. When we got home we noticed we were charged twice. My wife called the hotel twice and was given the runaround. So she called the credit card company and it was fixed. On purpose or just a mistake, who knows. But it is why you should always check everything you get charged for, even day to day charges at home.

• Like 1

Years back (more than 15) we had a consistent problem with additional charges showing up after disembarkation - Mini Bar, Umbrellas and even Banoculars.   On all occasions a call to Captain's Club fixed the problem quickly and we were credit back.   Since then we have never had a problem.   As a precaution I just got in the habit of taking a picture of the Minibar of the day of arrival and just before we left.   Never had to use it. 

We normally tip in addition to the daily amount but if we have a room attendant or waitstaff that just do their job and nothing extra we do not tip extra.    We tip as a Thank You for EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE.  

• Like 1

We noticed bottle where the seals were broken and bottle filled with water or anything else 

We always ask for the fridge to be emptied.  

We have also been charge after the cruise for mini bar charges.  A call and long wait have corrected the issue. 

I don’t know why they even offer it.   I wouldn’t. Want to pay for and drink a beer form there after it has been in and out of the fridge many times .    Even if it hasn’t it wouldn’t be cold enough

they should just eliminate it and have it available on request only as most don’t use it.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

22 hours ago, vtcruising said:

We have fortunately never had to complain about a cabin steward, but have heard of others who have had theirs changed. If not changed, I would definitely hide my toothbrush...🙂

Toothbrush LOL!  But more seriously, given the different type of people on a cruise ship and basic human nature, I'll bet that even the very best of the room attendants get a complaint or two reported occasionally, or perhaps even on every cruise.  Just read these boards a bit and see what people find to complain about.  Some of it is truly hilarious.  Of course much is legitimate too.  Anyway the point being that these hard working folks are most likely used to complaints being reported.  IMO not likely that it would cause them to retaliate.  It is truly part of their job and they are trained to deal with it.