Edge vs Apex What will change?

johhnnyt

Hi Lisa,

I know from my Navy experience when a new class of vessel is created, there always lessons learned after the first one is launched, and it's an going process to make each vessel better than the last based on feedback from guests, onboard teams and corporate lessons learned . I was wondering if you could share some of the changes we'll be seeing on Apex and Beyond  (literally and figuratively). 

Personally I loved just about everything about Edge, so much so that I'll be doing an Edge TA on November 1st 2019, but did see a few tweaks I would have made going forward. Anxious to hear your thoughts.

John

We have been busy speculating and anxiously awaiting for some info. They haven't had any reveals yet and LLP said they were like twins, with a few tweaks. Some of the ideas have been discussed on these threads -  just to give you an idea of what has been discussed to get things started.  🙂

The things we are quite sure about are:

-more windscreens for MC and RTG

-sound shields for restaurants around GP

-frosted glass doors on IV - smaller furniture (already being done on the Edge)

-Retreat Lounge Bar (so one concierge told me way back)

-likely lots of new art

Hopes:

-coffee tables - better balcony firniture

-Eden  - ? will have different focus

-maybe Luminae will have some dividers to cut down on noise a bit

-bathrooms that work in Luminae

-improvement in some chairs around the ship

I'm going with low expectations, but love the Edge so will be happy on the Apex. I am waiting for the Beyond - I think that will be my ship! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, johhnnyt said:

Hi Lisa,

I know from my Navy experience when a new class of vessel is created, there always lessons learned after the first one is launched, and it's an going process to make each vessel better than the last based on feedback from guests, onboard teams and corporate lessons learned . I was wondering if you could share some of the changes we'll be seeing on Apex and Beyond  (literally and figuratively). 

Personally I loved just about everything about Edge, so much so that I'll be doing an Edge TA on November 1st 2019, but did see a few tweaks I would have made going forward. Anxious to hear your thoughts.

John

Thanks VT Cruising, I mistakenly put it on this board instead of the LLP one

Edited by johhnnyt

I hope Lisa will reply to your question.  We were on the Edge and have the Apex booked in the exact same cabin.  There are a few things which could be improved--all were mentioned on our eval card.

Oh please make the Apex better.

Whoever thought "infinite verandah" cabins were a good idea needs to be fired. 

Whoever put that carpet design in Eden needs to be fired.

Whoever designed the layout of Blu needs to be fired.

Whoever thought that removing the peg from the cabins needs to be fired.

Whoever didn't increase the drain size of the AQ cabins to allow for the extra water from the AQ showers needs to be fired.

Whoever came up with the Magic Carpet idea needs to be fired.

Whoever thinks that the cabanas are well sited needs to be fired.

Whoever signed off on all the above needs to be fired - that'll be you Lisa, bye bye.

By the way, I could go on as the list of what is wrong with the Edge is long but I suspect we would run out of staff to fire.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mr Miserable said:

Oh please make the Apex better.

Whoever thought "infinite verandah" cabins were a good idea needs to be fired. 

Whoever put that carpet design in Eden needs to be fired.

Whoever designed the layout of Blu needs to be fired.

Whoever thought that removing the peg from the cabins needs to be fired.

Whoever didn't increase the drain size of the AQ cabins to allow for the extra water from the AQ showers needs to be fired.

Whoever came up with the Magic Carpet idea needs to be fired.

Whoever thinks that the cabanas are well sited needs to be fired.

Whoever signed off on all the above needs to be fired - that'll be you Lisa, bye bye.

By the way, I could go on as the list of what is wrong with the Edge is long but I suspect we would run out of staff to fire.

You must have had a miserable time on the Edge. 

We haven't sailed on the Edge yet but I have to agree with you on the Magic Carpet, one of the dumbest things I've ever seen for a cruise ship.

Edited by MISTER 67

Trouble is the "Dept of stupid ideas" is now going to ruin the Solstice class ships with their Edgeification.

Leave the Solstice class ships alone - they are a winning formula and remember they made enough money for you to blow it all on Edge 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread...but the same way I just came across it, I wanted to provide an alternate perspective and different point of view. 

We loved Eden, from its carpet to its drinks, and meandering design with many places to engage with others or quiet time for yourself.  We loved the magic carpet, for a drink, a relaxing place to sit, or for dinner when offered.

Our friends stayed in an infinite veranda and loved it and want to book it again.

I came across this thread and thought it would be helpful to note that, while not for everyone, some of us think the ideas deserve a promotion rather than firing. This is not a slide against prior posters, but a different point of view. Yes, with any new ship, there are improvements to be made and Celebrity, as with the Millennium and Solstice class ships, will make adjustment with each ship release. There were 10 of us in varied cabins and after 14 nights we all walked off loving it and looking forward to booking again in the future. Personally, I look forward to trying the Apex and future cruises on other older and newer Celebrity ships.

• Like 7

On 7/30/2019 at 10:26 AM, Bootman4U said:

I cannot imagine there being any "old" art on a brand new ship. 

EDGE has quite a few  original historic pieces..They will probably have a varied and amazing collection on APEX!

28 minutes ago, BriSquared said:

I know this is an old thread...but the same way I just came across it, I wanted to provide an alternate perspective and different point of view. 

We loved Eden, from its carpet to its drinks, and meandering design with many places to engage with others or quiet time for yourself.  We loved the magic carpet, for a drink, a relaxing place to sit, or for dinner when offered.

Our friends stayed in an infinite veranda and loved it and want to book it again.

I came across this thread and thought it would be helpful to note that, while not for everyone, some of us think the ideas deserve a promotion rather than firing. This is not a slide against prior posters, but a different point of view. Yes, with any new ship, there are improvements to be made and Celebrity, as with the Millennium and Solstice class ships, will make adjustment with each ship release. There were 10 of us in varied cabins and after 14 nights we all walked off loving it and looking forward to booking again in the future. Personally, I look forward to trying the Apex and future cruises on other older and newer Celebrity ships.

I'm with you. I like the various classes of ships for different reasons. I absolutely agree about Eden - a real gem and my favorite place on the ship (a big surprise for me and it had to grow on me). They have already made some of the changes i wanted (shortening the Eden show and making it only a few times a week, with a variety of live music in the evening). I'm hoping that they will change up the restaurant a bit and use the open kitchen as a cooking demo area and broaden the menu. Wouldn't mind seeing that on the Apex. I love all the little nooks where we can sit and have a drink - almost like going to a new place each time, if you change up your seating areas.

The Magic Carpet is a unique venue - some call it a gimmick (and again, I wasn't a convert until I experienced it a few times), but between the tendering and having such a lovely bar/restaurant out over the ocean, it earns its keep. Hoping for more weather protection so it can be used more on the Apex. It was quite a feeling to be out there watching the sunset.

The IV's are a different matter - they won't be able to reduce the number on the Apex, but maybe on Edge III (Beyond). I think there is a demand for them and they are an interesting concept, just not for 63% of the cabins - IMO, they should have more traditional veranda options.

I'll be happy with some improvements and look forward to new artwork - can't wait to be on the Apex in about 4 months.

It must have been fun to cruise with a big group! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

23 minutes ago, BriSquared said:

We share your perspective.  Just got  off  the EDGE and so much has evolved positively since we were on her in January,  Not perfect but a break from the same old formulas!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I'm with you. I like the various classes of ships for different reasons. I absolutely agree about Eden - a real gem and my favorite place on the ship (a big surprise for me and it had to grow on me). They have already made some of the changes i wanted (shortening the Eden show and making it only a few times a week, with a variety of live music in the evening). I'm hoping that they will change up the restaurant a bit and use the open kitchen as a cooking demo area and broaden the menu. Wouldn't mind seeing that on the Apex. I love all the little nooks where we can sit and have a drink - almost like going to a new place each time, if you change up your seating areas.

The Magic Carpet is a unique venue - some call it a gimmick (and again, I wasn't a convert until I experienced it a few times), but between the tendering and having such a lovely bar/restaurant out over the ocean, it earns its keep. Hoping for more weather protection so it can be used more on the Apex. It was quite a feeling to be out there watching the sunset.

The IV's are a different matter - they won't be able to reduce the number on the Apex, but maybe on Edge III (Beyond). I think there is a demand for them and they are an interesting concept, just not for 63% of the cabins - IMO, they should have more traditional veranda options.

I'll be happy with some improvements and look forward to new artwork - can't wait to be on the Apex in about 4 months.

It must have been fun to cruise with a big group! 🙂

Was a blast with 10 and all the new friends we made on board. We did the Transatlantic because we wanted a lot of sea days to really experience the ship....though we were worried about 7 sea days in a row, we could not believe they went by so quickly!  We were not ready to get off! 

• Like 3

We picked Edge for our next cruise BECAUSE she’s so different and can’t wait to experience all she has to offer.  One thing I really think was genius was diving the MDR into 4 themed dining rooms with special offerings in addition to the MDR ones.  I love that we will have many different opportunities for dinners with our select dining.

On 7/25/2019 at 4:02 PM, vtcruising said:

We have been busy speculating and anxiously awaiting for some info. They haven't had any reveals yet and LLP said they were like twins, with a few tweaks. Some of the ideas have been discussed on these threads -  just to give you an idea of what has been discussed to get things started.  🙂

The things we are quite sure about are:

-more windscreens for MC and RTG

-sound shields for restaurants around GP

-frosted glass doors on IV - smaller furniture (already being done on the Edge)

-Retreat Lounge Bar (so one concierge told me way back)

-likely lots of new art

Hopes:

-coffee tables - better balcony firniture

-Eden  - ? will have different focus

-maybe Luminae will have some dividers to cut down on noise a bit

-bathrooms that work in Luminae

-improvement in some chairs around the ship

I'm going with low expectations, but love the Edge so will be happy on the Apex. I am waiting for the Beyond - I think that will be my ship! 🙂

I was told that the Suite restaurant will be moved to the back of Apex.  This way the kitchens will all be in one place.  I think this will make the elevator situation worse for the aft elevators.  We had no problems with the forward elevators never had to wait or was crowded.  Loved the suite lounge and the bar and the pool.  Apex will have a bar in the retreat lounge also.

Pat

10 hours ago, BriSquared said:

Different strokes for different folks- we didn't like the infinite veranda stateroom- felt like a windowed stateroom that opens some times.  Magic carpet menu waste for us- and Eden, the dinner not great and the wait staff silly- not on Disney.  Fortunately the huge rockers in the sky suites are now removed, and hopefully coffee tables have replaced them.  The cabanas aren't nearly as nice as the renovated cabanas on the S class ships- just a bunch of lounge beds with no privacy in a public corridor.  Also we walked through an area of darkness on the ship and it looked like a obstructed area that could be used better.

Having said all of the above, we are again booked on the Edge as we did enjoy the ship as a whole- In a sky suite.  Looking foward to some improvements.

The cabana area was upgraded a bit..there are now fixed planters  with greenery that give privacy but  may blick views and I am not sure if the chairs across from the lounges are now included..They are def sep by the walkway.   Still a wind tunnel!  They could reconfigure but probably quite costly for EDGE. Poor design from the get go..

8 hours ago, RodPat said:

I was told that the Suite restaurant will be moved to the back of Apex.  This way the kitchens will all be in one place.  I think this will make the elevator situation worse for the aft elevators.  We had no problems with the forward elevators never had to wait or was crowded.  Loved the suite lounge and the bar and the pool.  Apex will have a bar in the retreat lounge also.

Pat

Very Interesting.  Wonder where..what deck, etc.  ?

What would they move into its place?

Hope BLU gets a better location and view.  It sits alone next to Tiffany store on the way to EDEN,  and has a terrible view!  There were sev stories about how or why that happened..but  the end result  was a beautiful dining  room with no view and poor acoustics.   Layout  and location of the 4 mdrs was excellent this time around..we enjoyed that area.

The Aft elevators are quite  busy, esp at peak times.  We had the SV so we had to use them quite a bit..but we managed.

PS   DId you enjoy EDGE?

13 hours ago, RodPat said:

Pat

I would like to see more of a nautical theme instead of a farmers theme. Get rid of the horse and pigs. Statues like manatees, dolphins, mermaids etc.  instead of wooden somethings. Do something else with the dark room and golden posts. More color to the ship like turquoise, blues etc. Need some color it is so hard & cold looking. So happy to hear they are putting in seats that you can actually relax on and sit comfortably. My thoughts only.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:42 PM, MISTER 67 said:

You must have had a miserable time on the Edge. 

We haven't sailed on the Edge yet but I have to agree with you on the Magic Carpet, one of the dumbest things I've ever seen for a cruise ship.

Why was this a dumb idea?  The original concept was to better serve tendering with more room for improved tenders and to speed up the process.  It serves this purpose perfectly.  They later added to the concept that makes it multi function as a restaurant and a bar.  Don't like it?  Then don't use it.  It could not possibly impact you otherwise.

15 hours ago, RodPat said:

Pat

If Luminae is moved to the rear of the ship, how will they provide lunch to guests in the Retreat pool area? The items offered for lunch are prepared in the Luminae galley.