Sun-Spring Break Cruise March 3-8 2020

Is it really bad to book a spring break cruise for the NCL Sun March 3-8 2020?  We are a couple over 60 will we regret this cruise? We dont mind a little partying as I expect from spring breakers, but just how BAD is it?? Do they take over every bar and venue on the ship 24/7?  This is the perfect itinerary we were looking for even though the price is high this is the cruise we want for our 20th wedding anniversary.  Any thoughts helpful.

I think you run the risk of it being a party cruise.  Five nights is the ideal amount of time for college kids to go away for spring break and you will be hitting the spring break window perfectly.  If the price is high then it might deter some but if the price drops in the weeks nearing embarkation, you can bet that the college crowd will converge.  And since the Sun is a small ship, you are likely to feel it more so than if you were on one of the bigger ships.  Just my two-cents.

1 hour ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Is it really bad to book a spring break cruise for the NCL Sun March 3-8 2020?  We are a couple over 60 will we regret this cruise? We dont mind a little partying as I expect from spring breakers, but just how BAD is it?? Do they take over every bar and venue on the ship 24/7?  This is the perfect itinerary we were looking for even though the price is high this is the cruise we want for our 20th wedding anniversary.  Any thoughts helpful.

We’re on the Sun on March 13th. We have the owner’s suite, so we plan on barricading ourselves in there the entire time. Between suite dining, specialty restaurants, and the large suite, I think we’ll be pretty insulated!

2 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

In spite of what people say on CC, most spring break cruises are non events. College age people are not the problem at spring break it is the K-12 group, and that is really a bit early for their break.

14 minutes ago, zqvol said:

that is really a bit early for their break

This.  Spring break typically runs from mid March to early April, so I doubt it will be a "spring break cruise".

I was just watching someone's NCL Sun cruise Vlog on youtube during spring break at GSC.  The tender back many people were very drunk on the tender throwing beach balls around and pole dancing and being obnoxious.  It would not bother me too much but the behavior was surprising to see because its so not the norm.  When the tender was disembarking one woman had enough of the antics and told one of the girls that was pole dancing.."dont you know there are children on this boat."  Then of course many of the spring breakers started flaming the woman and her husband had to block her from the crowd.  Then the girl who was pole dancing flashed her and pulled down her bikini top.  All drunken fools.

This is just another reason, I don't cruise spring break.

Spring break begins the first week in March.  It lasts for about 6 weeks but you would be surprised how busy spring break is the first week in March.  My college had spring break the first week in March and I never could understand it because its not even spring yet.  But with so many colleges they must taper the dates over 7 weeks or so.  First week in March is very busy.  Take it from me.  I lived in south beach for over 10 years.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

I was just on the sun a week ago. The sun (at least the sailings out of PC) is a party ship. Plain and simple. I've been on several of those cruises, and the most recent one I encountered some of the drunkest people I've ever seen in my life. I saw a guy approach the maitre d at the MDR seeking a key to his cabin because he lost his. She told him to go to guest services and he literally started to crawl up the stairs. I wish I were joking. Very much a blue collar, low rent, wake up and start drinking at sunrise type crowd.

Keeping in mind, these are 3 night Bahamas cruises I've taken on sun. If you're on a 7 day+ sailing, it will be a completely different vibe. 

Update: I should also add that this is a very popular ship for first time cruisers. Typically the people that don't usually drink, but they do, because they are on a cruise. Not really the crowd you want to be around for your anniversary. 

Edited by CruisingNole
  • Like 1

I expect the crowds will change up a bit when the ship goes from being all inclusive, to more like the other sailings...just a hunch..I think that change over starts this September.

I have never been on a 3 day cruise on any line..I would assume they are pretty much a party crowd atmosphere...

My upcoming 5 day Sun cruise will be the shortest one yet...will be interesting...it was booked as a lark, and I'm just going because it's close to our Family's Condo in NSB.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

Well I've been on the Sun for a 3-day and didn't see anything like what was described by some but it wasn't over spring break.  It really just boils down to luck of the draw on who your fellow passengers are on your sailing.  In the ATL area, spring break starts during the first week of March and as CruisingNoll pointed out, will stretch into mid-April.  We embark on the Sun on Friday and I will give a full report on the boozy atmosphere...keeping in mind that I plan to have a few myself 😁!

On 7/28/2019 at 1:45 PM, cruisekitty22 said:

The Epic (larger ship than Sun) did 3 and 4 day cruises out of PC in March 2018, here’s a thread from an early March sailing that may help you decide.