Age Restrictions on RC Excursions!

I don't know about other cruise lines, but we and 3 other couples are sailing on the RC Rhapsody of the Seas on 1/25/20 out of Tampa, FL.  We were researching and signing up for excursions and found out that 2 we were interested in have AGE restrictions!  The first is a Segway tour on Cozumel (can't be 65 or older); the second is Zip Lining on Roatan (can't be 70 or older).  I feel that it all depends on the physical shape you are in, not what age you are, and if you as an individual adult are willing to sign a waiver, it should not matter what age you are when you sign up for an excursion.  The one 70-year old male in the group plays pickleball and tennis and is very active physically.  My husband and I have Segway'd all over and are proficient in their use. 

One other note:  RC gave us such a hard time when we tried to get us all seated together for MyTime Dining at 5:30 each evening (an 8-top table; can't even go into the frustrating details here)!! that I am sure I will not book with them again. 

Yes, many Companies have strict age requirements due to liability. Though you may be able to book one not threw Royal with same Company... With tables there is more smaller ones now, closer to sailing harder together large at times. Get on wait list, doesn't work change after boarding

Edited by ONECRUISER

7 minutes ago, sasha4906 said:

One other note:  RC gave us such a hard time when we tried to get us all seated together for MyTime Dining at 5:30 each evening (an 8-top table; can't even go into the frustrating details here)!! that I am sure I will not book with them again. 

A good TA should have handled all the linking of dining for you, saving you any and all frustration. 

St Maarten Ultimate Snorkeling trip (Out Island Charters Power Rafting) opened up for spring Harmony bookings a few weeks ago.  It is the ONLY excursion with a 70 age limit in the entire list of excursions.  We've been on this one three times but can no longer book through Royal (and they won't take direct bookings).  You can do two-person inflatable boats, America's Cup and all scuba trips (open to age 8 and up), but not an easy snorkeling tour in a fast boat with 20 people.

I can see that being a little unfair, but I guess on the flip side Royal does not know how physically fit one person is as opposed to another. Also, in today's climate, despite signing a waiver, fine print, etc, people will sue regardless if they get hurt.

• Like 1

Same as with children, a cut-off age needs to be established for everyone. They can’t go handing out exceptions because a particular child is really more mature than all the others of the same age or a senior is more physically active than others of the same age. I’m sure most if not all restrictions are based on insurance guidelines. 

42 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Unfortunately, its the insurance companies that set the the age limit.

In terms of MTD, a group of 8 can be difficult. You might have had better luck with traditional dining.

I agree. if you want to eat at the same time every night, not do traditional dining. There will be more larger tables to offer.

It’s no different than with small kids. We will be traveling with a 3 and 6 year old. The 3 year old is too young for pretty much all of Royals excursions. No point in getting mad as that isn’t going to make it different. We are just planning other stuff to do. 

56 minutes ago, gerif said:

Same as with children, a cut-off age needs to be established for everyone. They can’t go handing out exceptions because a particular child is really more mature than all the others of the same age or a senior is more physically active than others of the same age. I’m sure most if not all restrictions are based on insurance guidelines. 

Common sense.   Maybe? better luck with private excursions.

On 7/29/2019 at 3:04 PM, SamTimeDining said:

A good TA should have handled all the linking of dining for you, saving you any and all frustration. 

Unfortunately for us, we booked directly through RC because they had special fares at the time!  I will NEVER again book without a travel agent, because she has been invaluable helping us with our other planned cruises (3) for 2019 and 2020!!

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 2:58 PM, ONECRUISER said:

Yes, many Companies have strict age requirements due to liability. Though you may be able to book one not threw Royal with same Company... With tables there is more smaller ones now, closer to sailing harder together large at times. Get on wait list, doesn't work change after boarding

After many hassles and phone calls, we are finally booked for a table of 8 at 5:30 each night My Time Dining!  It has been so hard to do this!  Once again, we will NEVER book through the cruise line directly and let our Travel Agent do the legwork for us!  Thanks for your reply!

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 12:39 AM, LeeW said:

St Maarten Ultimate Snorkeling trip (Out Island Charters Power Rafting) opened up for spring Harmony bookings a few weeks ago.  It is the ONLY excursion with a 70 age limit in the entire list of excursions.  We've been on this one three times but can no longer book through Royal (and they won't take direct bookings).  You can do two-person inflatable boats, America's Cup and all scuba trips (open to age 8 and up), but not an easy snorkeling tour in a fast boat with 20 people.

Just as an aside, the "America's Cup  Yacht Racing" on St. Maarten is a FABULOUS excursion!  My husband and I did it a few years ago and loved it.  You can choose to be assigned to a task on the yacht (a REAL one), or not, and these vessels go FAST!!  Loads of fun!