Celebrity Cruises Suite Lover...Regent??

lawgirl

1 hour ago, kaleighsgram said:

I think what bothered me the most was watching my husband go through this...a man who, because of brain cancer, had to learn to walk and talk all over again. Perhaps it was a power trip on behalf of the bartender but it definitely was inexcusable.

Perhaps we can talk you into extending your trip on Splendor. I hear New York is pretty in April.

Pat

I have my first cruise booked with Regent in January, so I cannot yet comment on the Regent experience.

But I have been on many Celebrity cruises and I can assure you that it was not necessary for your husband (or anyone else) to  come to the bar to get his own drink.  I am so sorry that this happened to you.

I have acquired two drinks hundreds of times on Celebrity.  (One for me and one for my DW).  What the bartender should have made clear to you is that he needed your husband’s sea pass card if you were using a drink package. On Celebrity they scan your sea pass card for each drink.

I am looking forwarded to not needing to have my card scanned as is common on All Inclusive cruises.  It was nice when I cruised on the Xpedition in the Galápagos Islands.

Thank you all for the excellent advice. It sounds like Regent has many fans!  I am sorry to hear of unpleasant Celebrity experiences, especially the one Pat posted.  That would have infuriated me too.  Certainly that is incredibly terrible service and I hope your husband is recovering and you enjoy your future sailings!  

Because the itinerary we were looking at had so many sea days, and I am not quite sure if we will be a bit bored on a smaller ship with 8 days at sea, I think I am putting the pause button on booking right now.  

In speaking with a friend just off Regent, and several agents, they were not sure Regent was right for us, particularly on a long voyage. My friend had many issues with her Voyager cruise (although I realize that can happen on any ship or cruise line) and the agents thought that Regent may not be a good fit for lots of reasons, such as that included excursions may not be for us and that we may not like fewer activity options on so many sea days.  As all of you recommended that I contact an expert luxury TA, I feel like I should give their opinions some thought. 

Certainly we have had minor complaints with about any cruise line we have been on.  I don’t like Princess ships much at all, but Princess has many fans.  Just like anything,  people have different likes and dislikes, so it’s good there are options for everyone.   Eventually I will try Regent or Seabourn  or Silver Sea once I find the right itinerary.   Deciding on a cruise line is certainly not a bad problem to have and my DH and I are lucky we get to go to wonderful places and meet new people.  Thanks again for everyone’s time  and it’s great that Regent instills such loyalty! 

• 3 weeks later...

My husband, granddaughter and myself cruised in Celebrity Infinity this last June, after many years of being away.  We were in a Royal Suite and had a wonderful cruise.  I priced out back to back Caribbean cruises on the Summit during the Christmas and New Year of 2020 and the prices were ridiculous.  It also did not include all specialty restaurants (except for the Suite restaurant) as it did in June.  I priced a 14 day cruise with a similar itinerary over the same time period on the new Regent ship, the Splendor in a cabin of about 400 sq. ft. and it was about $10k cheaper.  It seems that suite prices are getting ridiculously high on Celebrity and providing less benefits.  We loved the kids club on Celebrity but feel there will probably be families on Regent during the holidays and will probably beach it in the ports.  Better deal, service and food on Regent, so will likely stick with them depending on time of year and itinerary.  Personally, I would choose Regent.

thanks, Susan

• Like 1

We've cruised on several Celebrity ships, always in a suite, and have thoroughly enjoyed them all.  But we will always prefer Regent!  Here are the things that have made Regent better for us:

• Included business class air to Europe. (especially important since we are on the West Coast)
  • Included specialty restaurants, which are far better than Celebrity's.
  • Size of entry-level suite, including walk-in closet and separate shower/tub (in all suites on Voyager, and many if not most on other ships); my spouse prefers baths.
  • Compass Rose is at least as good, if not better, than specialty restaurants on other cruise lines.
  • The ship is smaller, which means smaller numbers of people, which means you see people many times during the cruise and can actually make new and lasting friendships - or at least companions for the length of the cruise. 
  • We actually like it that there aren't things like wave pools or rock-climbing walls.  It's quieter and more understated on Regent. (that may not be a plus for everyone - especially if traveling with kids - but it's good for us)
  • Included premium beverages, and no showing/swiping of key cards, signing or receipts to mess with.  That includes the mini bar in the suite, all bars, espresso drinks, bottled water - everything.  On our first Regent cruise I asked our steward for vodka and Bloody Mary mix.  The next time I returned to the room, there was a liter of Absolut and a bottle of Mr & Mrs T sitting on the counter.
  • Gratuities are included.
  • Shore excursions are included.  This works for us.  We are usually satisfied with the complimentary excursions, although we've opted for the "select" tours a few times.  We've also made our own arrangements for excursions.  The thing that we like is that there is always the option of a free excursion in every port.  We can choose to take advantage of it or not.
  • Travel agent always adds a nice amount of on board credit, which we use for spa treatments, shopping, or private excursions.

I encourage you to give Regent a try.  My guess is that you'll be perfectly comfortable in a deluxe veranda, although you won't have a butler at that level.  Do the math, and you'll see with so many things included, especially air, the price won't be all that much more.  Good luck and happy cruising!

• Like 3

I second Travelcat2. Great summary.  We took two European cruises on Regent many years ago and swore we would do at least one more. We’re booked on Explorer next year and just can’t wait.  In between we have sailed Celebrity to Alaska, Bermuda and the Caribbean, always in a suite and have enjoyed them, but there is no comparison to Regent. I would add one more thing to Me&Red’s list - on Regent once you walk out of your cabin everyone is treated the same as opposed to “special” treatment for suite guests on Celebrity. 

On 9/2/2019 at 11:05 AM, puppyluv1 said:

I second Travelcat2. Great summary.  We took two European cruises on Regent many years ago and swore we would do at least one more. We’re booked on Explorer next year and just can’t wait.  In between we have sailed Celebrity to Alaska, Bermuda and the Caribbean, always in a suite and have enjoyed them, but there is no comparison to Regent. I would add one more thing to Me&Red’s list - on Regent once you walk out of your cabin everyone is treated the same as opposed to “special” treatment for suite guests on Celebrity. 

But unfortunately, I know some people who like that class division thing...makes them feel special or something.  Me?  I prefer the feel of the ‘one class’ concept on Regent...I’ve never felt superior or inferior to other passengers on any cruise (well, except for maybe that time I was having brandy and cigars with the occupant of the Regent Suite...some people just ooze the feel of money.  Made me feel a bit, well, poor).  😂

• Haha 1

We started cruising in inside cabins on Sitmar and the old SS Norway then several other cruise lines and got very comfortable with Holland and Celebrity suites.  Our last 10 or more cruises have been on Regent, it just is a step above and we don't book the top suites, in fact we like a window suite on the Navigator better than a Neptune suite on Holland.

• Like 1

We cancelled our Regent 10 day fall cruise for a 14 day Celebrity transatlantic suite.  We booked the Celebrity just a few weeks ago. We are Gold on Regent and Elite Plus on Celebrity.  Sometimes we just have to weigh a cruise where we have been before. Our main goal was time in Rome  for our Anniversary. This did fulfill that goal and saved us $10000. Including Business air and a week in Florida.  No, it is not Regent, but for this cruise we will be fine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

You are from Washington state and tipping is not expected? Please explain.

I honestly had to look back at my post to remember why I made that comment.  

The “environment” that I was referring to is our 33 Regent cruises where tipping is included and not expected.  On Celebrity, some passengers have automatic tips added and others have tips included.  The vibe that we got was that some crew members were hoping for tips.  This was something that we were not used to.

Having said all of this, we are considering doing another short West Coast cruise on Celebrity next year as we really did enjoy our time on Celebrity (however, we will continue sailing on Regent for as long as we are capable of cruising as we feel like it is our second home), 

On 9/5/2019 at 4:50 PM, chuckw said:

We started cruising in inside cabins on Sitmar and the old SS Norway then several other cruise lines and got very comfortable with Holland and Celebrity suites.  Our last 10 or more cruises have been on Regent, it just is a step above and we don't book the top suites, in fact we like a window suite on the Navigator better than a Neptune suite on Holland.

I’m making the transition from Holland America to Regent.  I travel solo and always book a Neptune suite on HAL, but I discovered on my first Regent cruise last fall on the Mariner that the Concierge Suite just ”fits” better, primarily due to the big walk-in closet and general layout of the room. The Concierge suite gives me most of the same amenities as a Neptune plus a few extras, so I don’t feel like it’s a step ”down” in terms of accommodations -- smaller, yes, but comfortable (although the Neptune on the Eurodam was only about 10 sqft larger than a Mariner Concierge).

I have one more HAL cruise coming up: boarding the Amsterdam on Monday for the 35-day Incan Empires cruise.  After that, I have a total of 306 days booked on Regent between January 2020 and September 2021, most of it on the Mariner (it just worked out that way due to itineraries).  And 131 days of that is the 2020 world cruise in the same cabin I occupied for my first RSSC cruise last fall.

Smaller ship size, amazing food, all-inclusive fare, exceptional personalized service, a reasonable pricing policy for those of us traveling solo, and extraordinary customer service (had a couple of issues on that first cruise that were handled immediately and resolved completely -- how an organization handles problems makes a HUGE difference to me, and RSSC really outperformed my expectations).  They’ve earned my loyalty.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

The “environment” that I was referring to is our 33 Regent cruises where tipping is included and not expected.

Thanks, TC, it now makes sense. Sorry about commenting to such an old comment. Had I realized it I would not have done so.

On 8/6/2019 at 3:44 PM, kaleighsgram said:

he could see my husband sitting at the table with his walker. DH had to get up and get his own drink.

Love this thread. Same thing happened to me. Asked for two bottles of water with just my cabin card, said I was only allowed one per card at a time. Walked over to the table to retrieve DW's cabin card and walked back, waited in a short line again to get a second bottle of water. Never gave it a second thought until your post. I think we are going to love Regent.

2 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Love this thread. Same thing happened to me. Asked for two bottles of water with just my cabin card, said I was only allowed one per card at a time. Walked over to the table to retrieve DW's cabin card and walked back, waited in a short line again to get a second bottle of water. Never gave it a second thought until your post. I think we are going to love Regent.

I think so too.  You can have as much water, alcohol, soda, juice, etc. without paying a penny and do not have to show your card.  

4 hours ago, rcandkc said:

I will never go back to having to show my card and/or sign tickets.  It is so much more relaxed and social to not have to worry about it. 

The biggest challenge with a Regent Cruise is coming back to the real world...several times my wife and I almost got up and walked out of a restaurant without paying for dinner...takes a few days to reacclimate.    😄

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I think so too.  You can have as much water, alcohol, soda, juice, etc. without paying a penny and do not have to show your card.

Dear TC2, From reading these Regent posts, I get the impression that the clientele are a most moderate group of cruisers. They are not looking for excess in anything. They can afford to pay for the best life has to offer and they do pay. I believe their credo in life now follows Winston Churchill's quote "Whenever I feel the need to take some exercise I lie down until the feeling goes away." And Oscar Wilde's "Give me the luxuries and I can dispense with the necessities." Service, comfort, safety, entertainment, digestible food, in a clean, hygienic atmosphere of our own choosing surrounded by somewhat like minded individuals. Regent sounds like our Utopia.

4 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Dear TC2, From reading these Regent posts, I get the impression that the clientele are a most moderate group of cruisers. They are not looking for excess in anything. They can afford to pay for the best life has to offer and they do pay. I believe their credo in life now follows Winston Churchill's quote "Whenever I feel the need to take some exercise I lie down until the feeling goes away." And Oscar Wilde's "Give me the luxuries and I can dispense with the necessities." Service, comfort, safety, entertainment, digestible food, in a clean, hygienic atmosphere of our own choosing surrounded by somewhat like minded individuals. Regent sounds like our Utopia.

Really appreciate your post!  Yes - Regent clientele are a moderate group of cruisers.  Hope that you give Regent a try.  My top recommendation for ships is Explorer and my lowest recommendation is Navigator.  While you can't go wrong on any of their ships -- they all have great food and service, we find Explorer the most comfortable.

7 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Really appreciate your post!  Yes - Regent clientele are a moderate group of cruisers.  Hope that you give Regent a try.  My top recommendation for ships is Explorer and my lowest recommendation is Navigator.  While you can't go wrong on any of their ships -- they all have great food and service, we find Explorer the most comfortable.

Dear TC2,  Thanks for the help.. We booked 14 days for Christmas/New Years on the Splendor, today. You deserve a commission from Regent.

By the way, those jackets look like our 'mustang survival' jackets that we only use when on water.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Dear TC2,  Thanks for the help.. We booked 14 days for Christmas/New Years on the Splendor, today. You deserve a commission from Regent.

By the way, those jackets look like our 'mustang survival' jackets that we only use when on water.

Thank you for the kind comment!  Most regulars on the Regent board sail Regent frequently and are happy to help "newbies".  I understand how great it is to receive information on a ship that you will be sailing on as it was the great posters on the Crystal board that helped this "newbie" with our first Crystal cruise earlier this month. :classic_smile:

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 1:24 AM, Travelcat2 said:

Hopefully we can make your decision a bit easier. We took our first Celebrity cruise last September.  We stayed in a Royal suite and enjoyed Luminae and Michaels Club but were not impressed with the food and service on the rest of the ship!I

Try to imagine the entire ship having the food and service that you experience in the suite only venues on Celebrity!  That is Regent. 

There are generally very few or no children on board except during the summer.  This in and of itself changes the atmosphere  

Would you know if there are organized children's programs like there are on Celebrity (and RCL)?