Elite + Saying Good By

mcrcruiser

19 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

After many wonderful Celebrity cruises , we decided not to fly  .Living close to the San Diego port  & only 1.5 hours from the San Pedro ,Ca port ,we find that our cruising has been with Holland America & Princess  .Thus eliminating flying . At the age of 80 it is just too much to endure the stress of  the airports  .A side benefit what we save on flights we now can enjoy  on board  benefits :classic_biggrin:

For those able to cruise on a Celebrity ship have a great time as we did in the past 👍

Hi,  I understand exactly where you're coming from.  We live near San Pedro and only sail out of there.  (Long Beach is another possibility but not really attracted to Carnival).  We have decided not to fly anymore, also.  Part of it is our advancing age and declining mobility, the other is that a security problem at an airport is 10 times that issue when you are dependent on others to get around.  What happens when the terminal is evacuated and you're dependent on someone else?  Just sounds like too much of a risk.  

Keep an eye on the Celebrity web site, though.  It does sail out of San Pedro every couple of years for a couple of voyages.  We're doing the 9-day Pacific Coastal in November.  

We mostly do Princess out of San Pedro, and Crystal whenever it comes around as a treat.  We like the new Royal Princess more than I expected.  

22 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

After many wonderful Celebrity cruises , we decided not to fly  .Living close to the San Diego port  & only 1.5 hours from the San Pedro ,Ca port ,we find that our cruising has been with Holland America & Princess  .Thus eliminating flying . At the age of 80 it is just too much to endure the stress of  the airports  .A side benefit what we save on flights we now can enjoy  on board  benefits :classic_biggrin:

For those able to cruise on a Celebrity ship have a great time as we did in the past 👍

I totally get it. We had great cruises on Princess but recently decided that we can sail longer itineraries in better accommodations if we sail from home ports. Princess is the only line that doesn't service the Northeast year round and only sail a Canada New England itinerary in the fall. I have found with all of the changes among all of the lines there is no longer one perfect cruise line and we look for convenience along with price and itinerary.

Edited by Iamcruzin

21 hours ago, varoo said:

I feel the same ... love Celebrity but they've kind of abandoned us here on the west coast.  I know it is a business decision so, will have to accept that.  

Just of note, the Eclipse has a sailing out of LA roundtrip, 9 nights up the Pacific Coast.  I was booked on their October sailing but they chartered it so moved us to this nine night sailing in November.  Alas, I couldn't go in November .... 

21 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I feel the same ... love Celebrity but they've kind of abandoned us here on the west coast.  I know it is a business decision so, will have to accept that.  

Just of note, the Eclipse has a sailing out of LA roundtrip, 9 nights up the Pacific Coast.  I was booked on their October sailing but they chartered it so moved us to this nine night sailing in November.  Alas, I couldn't go in November .... 

We have been retired 20 years &  decided to do  cruising in excess of 7  days as they are too short .Thus ,we do B2B on Royal Princess( built 2013) from San Pedro ,April 18 ,2020 s a 7 night Mexico followed by a 7 night California coastal which sails April 25 ,2020 . We then have a 18 night Hawaii cruise booked on Holland America  Koningsdam (built 2016)  Nov 3 ,2020  

We constantly search for longer cruises . One we have yet to do is the Hawaii /Tahiti 28 day cruise . both Princess & Holland do that cruise . We also found Princess does Alaska from San Pedro  ;which is now 14 days on Golden Princess . One itinerary includes Glacier Bay & the other itinerary includes Hubbard Glacier  .Other than that  the other ports are the same 

We have noticed Celebrity  is doing a occasional Hawaii run from San Pedro . When examining their price structure  ,we can still get more savings with a Holland America cruise for Hawaii  

If we had not done 2 Panama Canal  cruises previously on Celebrity ship we would have considered their ships for the full canal transit 

We are also searching for a  round trip South America  cruise starting in  either San Diego or San Pedro

8 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We have been retired 20 years &  decided to do  cruising in excess of 7  days as they are too short .Thus ,we do B2B on Royal Princess( built 2013) from San Pedro ,April 18 ,2020 s a 7 night Mexico followed by a 7 night California coastal which sails April 25 ,2020 . We then have a 18 night Hawaii cruise booked on Holland America  Koningsdam (built 2016)  Nov 3 ,2020  

We constantly search for longer cruises . One we have yet to do is the Hawaii /Tahiti 28 day cruise . both Princess & Holland do that cruise . We also found Princess does Alaska from San Pedro  ;which is now 14 days on Golden Princess . One itinerary includes Glacier Bay & the other itinerary includes Hubbard Glacier  .Other than that  the other ports are the same 

We have noticed Celebrity  is doing a occasional Hawaii run from San Pedro . When examining their price structure  ,we can still get more savings with a Holland America cruise for Hawaii  

Every few years Holland offers the 51 day Tales of the South Pacific, R/T San Diego.  We are booked on it for later this year, October 28-December 18.  Check it out.  We have a very active Roll Call.

25 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

I am all booked for this year and have limited flexibility for next year ... not seeing anything that fits into my schedule for the west coast from Celebrity, though.  I may fly across county, but that remains to be seen.  It might be time to look at other lines.  

My dad will be 92 in less than a month and my Mom is nearly 80 (Yes, dad robbed the cradle).  They still travel a few times a year and in all honesty, their travel now a days is less stressful than ever.  They go to the front of the line for everything and receive gate to gate transfers when forced into flights with connections.  They went to Germany last year to visit my brother and his family who were living there for work.  

However, I completely understand reaching a point where you just don't want to do it...period.  Happy travels no matter where you go.