Summit still in port?

keep on cruisin

Was thinking the same thing. We were on last week and left about 3:45. Very odd.

In January the Summit had problems with the computer on the bridge could not communicate with the engine room. Spent 2 days in San Juan until a part was flown in from Houston.

Edited by ozark74

11 minutes ago, bayonnejoe said:

It is a charter. I leaves at 7. Went down to see the ship. All the balconies had different color banners which made a rainbow pattern from front to back. Looked great.

Thanks.  That might  actually explain why this sailing is not showing up on the X app.

1 hour ago, bayonnejoe said:

It is a charter. I leaves at 7. Went down to see the ship. All the balconies had different color banners which made a rainbow pattern from front to back. Looked great.

Thanks Joe.  Wish you had a photo!  🙂  

It's a 7-day charter and the first cruise of an LGBT vacation company (hence those rainbow banners).  It's going to Saint John (NB), Bar Harbor, and P-Town (overnight). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Baysgt27 said:

Left port at 7:00 pm went up to Statue of Liberty and is now heading back 

Two weeks ago when we left on the Summit we also went first to the Statue of Liberty before heading out to sea. As we pulled away from the dock it was announced that the captain had received permission from the port authorities for him to do this.

22 minutes ago, jaapie said:

Two weeks ago when we left on the Summit we also went first to the Statue of Liberty before heading out to sea. As we pulled away from the dock it was announced that the captain had received permission from the port authorities for him to do this.

3 years ago we did pass the the Statue of Liberty, but not the last 2 years.  We will see what happens in 2 weeks.

2 hours ago, keep on cruisin said:

3 years ago we did pass the the Statue of Liberty, but not the last 2 years.  We will see what happens in 2 weeks.

That's the bad part about leaving from Bayonne NJ rather than a berth on the Hudson in the West 50's.  I'd venture that a Hudson River sail away is perhaps the most scenic and memorable, rivaled only by Sydney departures.

Of course I'm biased being an ex NYer.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, evandbob said:

That's the bad part about leaving from Bayonne NJ rather than a berth on the Hudson in the West 50's.  I'd venture that a Hudson River sail away is perhaps the most scenic and memorable, rivaled only by Sydney departures.

In the summer of 1999, we took a multi-generational family cruise on the Horizon and sailed out of this berth on the Hudson. There is a photo on my husband's desk of our daughter and him standing on the top deck with the Twin Towers in the background as we sailed past lower Manhattan....one of those lifetime memories!!

P.S. We are also biased ex NYers.

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

The sailway from, or sail in to, the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is so spectacular, I think even folks without a connection to NY would agree.  🙂

PS: Malta is quite spectacular as well (but obviously very different!)

The sail away from Manhattan is beautiful, but I’ll take the convenience of sailing out of Bayonne, NJ anytime.  We live in New Jersey and it’s a pleasure to not have to deal with the trip into New York City.  We still see some parts of NYC from Bayonne.  The worst scenery was when we cruised out of Philadelphia about 10 years ago.  It was a slow ride down the Delaware River looking at oil refineries and ugly industrial properties.  It took 2 - 3 hours to get to the Atlantic Ocean.  I haven’t seen a cruise leave out of Philadelphia for a while.

47 minutes ago, hurwitz5 said:

The sail away from Manhattan is beautiful, but I’ll take the convenience of sailing out of Bayonne, NJ anytime.  We live in New Jersey and it’s a pleasure to not have to deal with the trip into New York City.  We still see some parts of NYC from Bayonne.  The worst scenery was when we cruised out of Philadelphia about 10 years ago.  It was a slow ride down the Delaware River looking at oil refineries and ugly industrial properties.  It took 2 - 3 hours to get to the Atlantic Ocean.  I haven’t seen a cruise leave out of Philadelphia for a while.

We love the Bayonne departure as well.  Parking is much more reasonable, and agree about the NYC traffic.

Out first cruise was the Horizon out of Philly and I agree the view is far superior out of Bayonne or NY.

Keep on cruisin - we parked in the parking garage at Cape Liberty - right next to the cruise ship - a few months ago.  It was $22 per night.  Can you or anyone else recommend a convenient parking lot nearby that’s less expensive?

We prefer leaving from Manhattan or even Brooklyn.    Never thought of driving in NYC!!!

We take the train and get a driver out of Penn Station.   If on the QM2 out of Brooklyn we stay the night before and enjoy real pizza and then real bagels in the morning.   We don’t enjoy the area around the Newark port.

4 hours ago, hurwitz5 said:

Keep on cruisin - we parked in the parking garage at Cape Liberty - right next to the cruise ship - a few months ago.  It was $22 per night.  Can you or anyone else recommend a convenient parking lot nearby that’s less expensive?

I see you've asked this on our Roll Call as well.  I great place to ask is over in the East Coast Departures forum, where this question is often asked, and the typical advice is to park at the port, for the security of your car and your own convenience.  (And if you think $22/night is expensive, try parking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal!  🤣)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I see you've asked this on our Roll Call as well.  I great place to ask is over in the East Coast Departures forum, where this question is often asked, and the typical advice is to park at the port, for the security of your car and your own convenience.  (And if you think $22/night is expensive, try parking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal!  🤣)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

I agree with that.  Parking at the pier is very convenient.  And the $22 up from $20 last August when we were there is still great compared to Manhattan.  I don't recall what we paid in Brooklyn in April but it was more reasonable than Manhattan.

I prefer when we can park in the garage over the lot but with the Anthem sailing the same time they seam to get the priority for that.(at least year).  Hoping the the garage i  2 weeks.  But then again for my family it is a wash.  We will be on the Summit, and my parents on the Anthem so someone is going to be in the lot.

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We prefer leaving from Manhattan or even Brooklyn.    Never thought of driving in NYC!!!

We take the train and get a driver out of Penn Station.   If on the QM2 out of Brooklyn we stay the night before and enjoy real pizza and then real bagels in the morning.   We don’t enjoy the area around the Newark port.

I have never actually parked in Manhattan.  Always looked at the pricing as being to much.  I pay our nephew to drive us in and pick us up.  Costs us a little less and our car is safe at home.(he used to have a beeter car so his additional perk was to use our cars for the week.)

On 8/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, Turtles06 said:

Thanks Joe.  Wish you had a photo!  🙂  

It's a 7-day charter and the first cruise of an LGBT vacation company (hence those rainbow banners).  It's going to Saint John (NB), Bar Harbor, and P-Town (overnight). 

I was in Provincetown this week and saw the Summit tendering in passengers. Unfortunately, the company that is chartering the boat advertised that the overnight in Ptown would coincide with their Carnivale, that includes a parade. Well, the company got in wrong. Carnivale starts next Thursday, not this past Thursday. Oops!

3 minutes ago, SRCcruiser said:

I was in Provincetown this week and saw the Summit tendering in passengers. Unfortunately, the company that is chartering the boat advertised that the overnight in Ptown would coincide with their Carnivale, that includes a parade. Well, the company got in wrong. Carnivale starts next Thursday, not this past Thursday. Oops!

Wow, not a good way to kick off their cruise business!  I’m sure people still had a good time, but what a faux pas. 

On 8/16/2019 at 10:11 PM, SRCcruiser said:

Vacaya got that information from PTown initially,  it was for the best in the end, the crowds would have been unbearable.  The cruise was ultimately very successful and enjoyed by all.