Oceania "free" tours vs Viking "free" tours

marylovestotravel

I am interested in people's opinions/experience of the "free" tours available on Oceania versus the included tours provided on Viking Ocean. I have taken one Viking Ocean cruise and my experience with their included tours has been disappointing. Often they were not much more than a drive-around with stops for photos. Are the Oceania selections similar or are they more interesting with more structure and depth? Are the buses pretty full - I'm imagining 60-80 people on each bus.

Thanks,

Mia

33 minutes ago, marylovestotravel said:

I am interested in people's opinions/experience of the "free" tours available on Oceania versus the included tours provided on Viking Ocean. I have taken one Viking Ocean cruise and my experience with their included tours has been disappointing. Often they were not much more than a drive-around with stops for photos. Are the Oceania selections similar or are they more interesting with more structure and depth? Are the buses pretty full - I'm imagining 60-80 people on each bus.

Thanks,

Mia

I assume that you're talking about Oceania's O Life amenities, which provide you a choice of excursions or SBC or the basic alcohol package.

The applicable/allowable excursions for O Life  are those without special designations (e.g., Oceania Select (OS) or Oceania Exclusive (OE)). As a general rule the allowable O Life choices are any tours with a cost under $200 per person. 

Some of the tours that qualify are of the panoramic bus variety you mention. But, depending on location, these tours may be done in small busses holding about 16-20 passengers max or a regular 40+ passenger bus (though I've never been on an O bus tour that exceeded  24-30 passengers per tour guide). Still other of these tours may be nature hikes, water sports, culinary activities....

The key to avoiding boring/crowded/etc is to do the research before choosing. 

What's really good about Oceania excursions is that, if you meet a minimum of tours purchased (number depends on itinerary and can include your O Life allowance) you get a 25% discount on the more expensive (non-O Life) ones (which include things like a fly over of the Nazca Lines, full day safaris, etc).

FWIW, if you're trying to choose between an Oceania Cruise and a Viking one make sure you consider the quality of food and service (where you'll find Oceania to be a clearly better choice and value).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I assume that you're talking about Oceania's O Life amenities, which provide you a choice of excursions or SBC or the basic alcohol package.

The applicable/allowable excursions for O Life  are those without special designations (e.g., Oceania Select (OS) or Oceania Exclusive (OE)). As a general rule the allowable O Life choices are any tours with a cost under $200 per person. 

Some of the tours that qualify are of the panoramic bus variety you mention. But, depending on location, these tours may be done in small busses holding about 16-20 passengers max or a regular 40+ passenger bus (though I've never been on an O bus tour that exceeded  24-30 passengers per tour guide). Still other of these tours may be nature hikes, water sports, culinary activities....

The key to avoiding boring/crowded/etc is to do the research before choosing. 

What's really good about Oceania excursions is that, if you meet a minimum of tours purchased (number depends on itinerary and can include your O Life allowance) you get a 25% discount on the more expensive (non-O Life) ones (which include things like a fly over of the Nazca Lines, full day safaris, etc).

FWIW, if you're trying to choose between an Oceania Cruise and a Viking one make sure you consider the quality of food and service (where you'll find Oceania to be a clearly better choice and value).

Yes, I am looking at the tours available through O Life. I have looked at the excursions  described for my South America cruise and am looking for feedback from people who have taken tours through O Life. Basically, how would you rate them. 

I have taken a Viking Ocean cruise in the past and while there are many positives, I prefer Oceania overall. One of the points that detracted from our Viking experience was that we felt that the included excursions were not as detailed or informative nor the tour leaders as experienced and knowledgable as we would expect. The excursions might be "free", but we paid for them through our cruise fares and in our time, which might be better spent. The one tour that we paid extra for, was very good. 

Mia

The tours that qualify for O Life have been very good, in my experience. The selection of what qualifies is broad in many of the ports.  There is something for everyone. I agree with FlatbushFlyer that the tours do not exceed 30 passengers per tour guide.  I’ve been on some that were 16 passengers. 

Although there will will be a few exceptions, the tour guides are excellent.  Very knowledgeable, experienced and not at all boring.  With Oceania,  you will get much more than a drive-around with stops for photos as you explained in your experience with Viking. 

most excursions are 2-5 hrs  so you have to read the descriptions  for the included tours

some are drive by  & some need more walking

Only you can decide  if it works for you

There is one  in Montevideo  it is  a bike ride  so you would need to be fit 2.5 hrs of cycling

there are some that just go to the beach ..no fitness level required

Our experience has been that even if you do not take an organized ship's tour it will be possible to reach the city proper.

In a port with a mix of maritime traffic there will be a free shuttle operated by the port to the port entrance with waiting taxis.

Sometimes Oceania provides a free shuttle from the ship to the city center.

In a port frequently visited by Cruise ships there will likely be a passenger terminal at the end of the dock with direct access to the city.

Viking and Oceania included tours vary from very good to awful.  Most are ok.  Groups can be large. Bus loads can be 40-50 guests. They are best suited to guests visiting a port for the first time.  For guests who want a smaller tour to a specific venue, it may be best to make private arrangements. 

When we travel with Oceania we do a mix of private tours, do it ourselves, and ones offered by the cruise line.  Lately we have been pleased with the Oceania ones we have chosen.  They rarely fill the big buses  (usually around 30 people per bus as stated above).  The descriptions are good, so if it interests you, go for it.  Guides have been very good, too.

The major difference, IMO, is that Viking offers very limited options in their included tours and they are mostly sightseeing bus tours.

Oceania offers a much greater variety of tours that are part of O Life and are not huge IME.

Also, with Viking these tours are included (i.e. not free) whereas with Oceania you can book a cruise w/o O Life or cruise only fare - hence you are not paying for something you are not interested in.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Also, with Viking these tours are included (i.e. not free) whereas with Oceania you can book a cruise w/o O Life or cruise only fare - hence you are not paying for something you are not interested in.

Which is why I likely never book an ocean cruise with Viking. I never do any ship tours, including O's. I always make independent arrangements. The tours on Viking river cruises are excellent.

Haven't booked any free excursions on O, so can't comment on those.  However, I've never been on a coach excursion with Oceania OR Viking where there were more than 40 people on the coach, so I don't think you'll ever be placed on a coach with 60-80 people.  I also don't think as many Oceania people take ship-arranged tours (excursions) in general, compared to people on Viking.  Yes, the free tours on Viking can be a little "slim" but it's really impossible to provide a comprehensive tour to up to 900 people in cities where there are many, many things to see, lots of traffic, and distances for port locations.  I found Viking's free London tour much better than expected, but the Athens free tour only so-so. But Athens is a bit challenging in terms of how spread out it is, heavy traffic, distance from where ship docks, etc. Viking will offer walking tours (on their ocean cruises) and I've found those quite comprehensive - similar to the river cruise tours they provide.  It just depends.  It's my impression that the smaller the port, the better the free Viking Ocean excursions are.  I would guess it would be the same for O, but as I said, I haven't taken any.  I don't even know if O gives you a choice on free excursions (V does not) or how they do their free excursions. 

I DO like that with Oceania, if you forego the OLife option, you aren't paying for others to take a free tour.  However, I have to admit that it's nice to have those free tours on Viking as an option.  On Viking Ocean I often take the freebie (usually half day at most), come back for lunch, and go out on my own in the afternoon.  I also like that the free tours are offered at least once in the afternoon.  Not all cruise ships offer afternoon excursions, free or paid!

We do a wide variety of options in port - private/shared car or bus excursion, ship-arranged excursion, car rental, use public transportation or taxi to explore on our own, and just about anything in between.  But of course that takes planning, plus occasionally independent travel isn't very feasible in a particular port. 

On 8/14/2019 at 9:58 AM, susiesan said:

Which is why I likely never book an ocean cruise with Viking. I never do any ship tours, including O's. I always make independent arrangements. The tours on Viking river cruises are excellent.

As a general rule... Yes...I never book a cruise tour   as they are double or more than what you could do on your own for a much better and less expensive tour on your own.   This booking without  O life   will be not only cheaper  but more enjoyable.

I never took Viking  but have observed them.... regular cattle cars of people being herded like sheep....    O's wit very few exceptions are pretty much the same.         But remember you can take the cruise without O life... save on making your own tours and then also if you want you can book an O tour  too.... and still be dollars ahead.     Mix and match.

On 8/13/2019 at 11:58 AM, Redtravel said:

Groups can be large. Bus loads can be 40-50 guests. 

I just finished 7 months on the Insignia and took many ship tours...about 95% were very good! There were NEVER 40-50 people on a tour! The max was 30, but most had 20-24...usually on a bus that seated 52. I went on most tours as a solo and never had to sit next to anyone.

Regarding "panoramic" tours (sit on the bus and look out the window instead of getting off and physically visiting a site), they are clearly marked in the brochure/website so you won't accidentally book one. Plus, there are icons to show how much physical activity is required. 

I've seen it mentioned that private tours are cheaper, but that depends on how many ports you visit...I visited nearly 100 ports, so the OLife option was far more economical. 

Edited by Go-Bucks!

I agree with poster#7 above-both Viking and Oceania have some very good "included tours" and some that are not very good even for first timers. Viking may have more people on a bus some of the time but when off the bus, smaller groups are formed for the walk or whatever.  It was the same on O if the bus had more people.  The thing to remember is that you are paying for these "included tours" one way or the other.  Viking is slightly more expensive to cover them.  O charges more for the Olife to cover them.  Private tours and public transportation to sites are much cheaper and often more satisfying though some places are easier on a ship tour.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tvmovielover said:

O charges more for the Olife to cover them. 

We know Oceania charges $100/per tour with O Life package (which can give you tours valued up to $199). As Viking's tours are included, we don't know how much they actually charge per tour as we don't have their cruise fare w/o included tours.

Private tours and public transportation to sites are much cheaper and often more satisfying though some places are easier on a ship tour.

Private tours CAN be cheaper if you can find enough people to share the tour with you; if it's a private tours for just 2 people it's most likely (much) more expensive than ship's tour.

They do tend to be more satisfying as you and your "friends" determine the itinerary vs the ship doing so.

Just something else to think about: If you really have your heart set on a particular tour, I'd probably recommend trying to find a non-ship's tour just in case not enough people sign up for the ship's tour and the excursion has to be canceled.  Canceling an excursion isn't the norm, but it does happen.  

Some people are reluctant to do private excursions due to cost, but I can tell you that almost always, we can find others to share to make the cost workable.  I do, however, shy away from booking anything that can't be canceled if our ship doesn't make port.  A few vendors won't let you do that, so you lose your money.  (And I don't know if travel insurance helps in this regard.) 

It's difficult to compare the quality (or value) of Oceania versus Viking tours because each line offers something different.  Viking has only one "free" (included in cruise price) tour for each port, whereas on Oceania, you can pick the "free" ones you want to go on, as long as conditions are met (so many per cruise, top price).  

In fairness to Viking Ocean, I'd like to point out that not all of their free cruises consist of a brief drive around, with a couple brief stops for photos.  On a free tour in one city we toured a museum.  In another we enjoyed a 5 hour tour of the city, with a couple short stops plus some free time.  On Viking it was tempting to take the free tours because, well, we'd already paid for them.  However, if I wanted something more I planned my own day, or occasionally purchased an optional excursion from Viking.  Luckily there are usually plenty of options when you cruise, everything from doing nothing at all/staying on the ship to taking a private 7 or 8 hour tour, plus everything in between!