repositioning

esimon

Ft L. To Europe are usually in the spring and Europe to Ft. L. in the fall. We've  done 8 transatlantics and have seen rougher seas in the Med than the Atlantic. I wouldn't worry.

Unfortunately the many deck lights interfere with star gazing, but you might get lucky with a full moon...gorgeous if not overcast.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

For those that have done transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Europe: it is better to do the cruise in the spring or the fall or doesn’t matter? 

Eastbound (spring) loses 5-6 hours, depending on ending port. Westbound (fall) gains 5-6 hours. So, whether to gain or lose sleep is one difference.

Another is flying. Which end of the trip do you want the long flight?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

For those that have done transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Europe: it is better to do the cruise in the spring or the fall or doesn’t matter? 

We really want to try this - I think we would really enjoy it! 

But, worried about rough seas. Since we have never done a transatlantic, my imagination runs wild with what it is like in the middle of the ocean. I bet the stars are fantastic at night!

Thank you in advance! 

Welcome to a different kind of cruising.  We have been on a number of TA's and have only once had some choppier seas.  Hurricane Sandy was moving up the U.S. coast and the captain changed our course to avoid most of the rough seas.    It lasted about 10 hours and didn't seem to bother most people.  Activities went on as scheduled and people were out and about.   Most of our crossings have been quite calm and once you get into the gulf stream, it becomes warm and very pleasant to be outside or on your balcony.  Our cabin is mid-deck and we have found that our balcony is quite dark at night and we have seen some lovely star constellations.  Also some gorgeous sunsets. 

Sea days for us are very relaxing.  We love to read and also walk.  You can do as much or as little as you choose.   Usually we have spent two or three weeks traveling before the cruise and appreciate the slower days after all the walking and sight seeing we have done before boarding the ship.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

But, worried about rough seas. Since we have never done a transatlantic, my imagination runs wild with what it is like in the middle of the ocean. I bet the stars are fantastic at night!

Thank you in advance! 

We like the Fort Lauderdale to Europe in the Spring,  but also enjoy the Europe to Boston or NYC in the Fall. The northern route can be rough but love Iceland, Greenland,  and Canada.  Gets us out of one long flight to Europe. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Thank you in advance! 

We’ve done both east and west.  Coming back is nice as you gain a few hours and relax after exploring Europe but, for some reason, I’ve found the itineraries to travel to Europe are nicer than those coming home, so we tend to do more Spring Transatlantics.

Also, I far prefer the flight coming home since we are travelling in day light.  The flight over to Europe gives you little sleep because of the time change and I feel more of the jet lag effect adapting to European time.

While we’ve had the odd choppy day at sea, they have been few and far between.  No one can predict King Neptune of course and there are no guarantees but our crossings have been enjoyable 🙂 

• Like 3

Ryndam- Ft Laudeerdale to London   15 days

Nieuw Amsterdam- Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale  16 days

Noordam- Sydney to Honolulu (Vancouver)  18 days

Prinsendam- Ft. Lauderdale to Lisboa  20 days

We lave our sea days to recover form the stresses of work. (unfortunately we still do). 

As to east (Europe to US) The ports are usually at the start of the voyage so there is considerable down time for the last half of the cruise.

As to the west (US to Europe) the voyage begins with a lot of days to relax and get ready for the ports and experiences at the end. 

As to the trans-pac It was a wonderful adventure at some south pacific islands that were reaxing in there own right, with sunny warm days on the ship as made you way to Hawaii.

We need to do the northern trans-pac to complete the experience but that's for another day.

As has been stated above, great value, lots of time to meet new friends and best way to really get away from it all so you can truly be yourself. Hope you find a great cruise and enjoy it as much as we have!

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 9:20 AM, propwash said:

So how you find out which trips are repositioning????

Thanks

A repo is a movement by a ship from one operating area of the parent company to another, i.e. from the Carib to Alaska and vice versa, from the Carib to Europe, from Asia/Australia to Alaska, etc. Most are seasonal, i.e. the westbound trek from the Carib to Alaska via the Panama Canal takes place in the Spring, while going back east happens in the Fall. Officially, the voyage of the Koningsdam from the Carib to Alaska next Spring is a repo however, since the Panama Canal Authority will not allow her and her sister Nieuw Statendam to transit the canal (due to their overhanging lifeboats) she has to go the long way via the tip of South America and Cape Horn. Nice itinerary though!  

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, kazu said:

We’ve done both east and west.  Coming back is nice as you gain a few hours and relax after exploring Europe but, for some reason, I’ve found the itineraries to travel to Europe are nicer than those coming home, so we tend to do more Spring Transatlantics.

Also, I far prefer the flight coming home since we are travelling in day light.  The flight over to Europe gives you little sleep because of the time change and I feel more of the jet lag effect adapting to European time.

While we’ve had the odd choppy day at sea, they have been few and far between.  No one can predict King Neptune of course and there are no guarantees but our crossings have been enjoyable 🙂 

Good advice there. The night flight to Europe hits both of us pretty hard, especially because DW has trouble sleeping on flights. 

I've done 4, 2 transatlantic Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale, one Panama Canal Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver, and one Hawaii, San Diego, circle Hawaii, on up to Vancouver. I absolutely vote for doing your TA Europe to the US. You fly to Europe, get tired  with the long ports every days, and then have 7 or more sea days to relax and recover gaining sleep hours along the way. As someone who always loved sea days, this was perfect! I fly in early and go see some Europe before my ship sails, too! 

• Like 1

Prinsendam from Lisbon to Fort Lauderdale. Pluses- wonderful long sunny sea days - good weather the whole way across. You feel relaxation washing over you. Great personal service

Minuses - Rattle in the bathroom that they couldn’t fix. Thought the food was very bland.

Celebrity Eclipse from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale.   Pluses  - excellent food, beautiful sky suite.

minuses - poor rough weather for first 5 days. Thought ship  was too big.

On 8/15/2019 at 5:50 PM, crystalspin said:

Nieuw Amsterdam, FLL-Venice, spring 2015. This was our first TA and loved the time to relax. Had an active knitting-and-handwork group, which HAL no longer puts in the daily. 

Can't think of any cons, except that HAL no longer publicizes craft-hour and RCI only a couple of times. "If they can't sell it, they don't tell it."

I've asked for and gotten things put into the "When and Where" daily planner. IE: "Chess players meet" "Meet for Basketball" etc. They picked the time and place but they did put it in the W&W after I requested it.

Edited by kevingastreich