Wine for cruise

300dtc

We aren't used to taking wine onboard and we're curious how everyone gets their two bottles. Have you had luck with bubble wrap and packing them for your flight? Just go to publix in Ft. Lauderdale and buy them there? Thank you!

I bought the "WINE TRAVELLER" from Amazon.  Not sure if I can post a link here?

It is a bubble-wrap bag, with  a velco-fold closure.  We had two cabins, so I took 4 bottles of wine.  I put the wine in the wine traveller.  I put the wine traveller in a Ziploc bag. I put the 4 bags in a large Ziploc storage bag.

This went in a suitcase with all clothes in packing cubes. and then the packing cubes stored in large plastic recycling bags.

I WENT A LITTLE OVERBOARD but it was my first time trying this.  the wine travelled in our checked backing along with a wine-shopping bag.  When we arrived at FLL, I opened the suitcase and removed the wine bottles (still in the wine traveller) to the wine carrier, so I could carry them on board.

I should add that I placed packing cubes in the suitcase, and then the wine on top and then sealed the ziipper closer so that essentially the wine was suspended in the middle of the suitcase.  I also added a note to TSA telling them what was in the bags and begging them (if opened) to reseal the bags 🙂

Next cruise, I would be satisfied just using the wine traveller. 

I bought a set of 4 for $34 Canadian and they are reusable.

3 minutes ago, George C said:

We almost always pack a couple bottles of wine in checked suitcases, just wrap them in clothes , have done this dozens of times, never a issue.

New rules  - have to be in carryon. Otherwise you will delay your luggage delivery by having to go to the “naughty room.”

5 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

New rules  - have to be in carryon. Otherwise you will delay your luggage delivery by having to go to the “naughty room.”

I believe they are taking about taking wine on the plane, not on the ship, we always transfer wine to carry on to get on the ship.

45 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

We only bring bottles of sparkling water on board.

I used to buy a six pack of beer in the terminal but they don't allow beer on now.

We have never carried wine on board but if we did I would never put it in our cases in case the bottles broke and soiled our clothes.

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

If you are in Ft. Lauderdale, go to Total Wine off of 17th St, in the Harbot Shops,  next to Publix.  Much better selection and lower prices.

Thank you...I'll check them out!

Slightly off topic but for our July 2020 Empress cruise we get to drive to Cape Liberty (first time in 6 RCCL cruises were not flying).  Looking forward to bringing my choice of wine rather than settling for bottles at a store at port. Amazing how little things can make me happy.

• Like 1

I always take a couple of bottles wherever I am going in the world. I just wrap in bubble wrap (a couple of layers) and then in a couple of supermarket plastic bags. Then make sure they are packed in the centre of your suitcase. In all my travels I have never once had a bottle break. On my recent cruise I didn’t realise they are supposed to go in your carry on so ended up in n the naughty room, however my friend also had a couple in her suitcase and no problem. 

We always buy our wine once we arrive. On Harmony now and bought 6 bottles (we have 3 cabins) at Total Wine in Orlando. Prices are good. If you pack them you risk the luggage delay of the naughty room because when they scan your luggage the bottles could be hard liquor rather than wine which they won't allow. Once on board we usually buy my DH a nice bottle of duty free exclusive scotch or whiskey and that gets wrapped in dirty clothes from the cruise and put in the center of the suitcase. I bury it now after Kona coffee beans mysteriously disappeared from my suitcase in transit years ago. If they want my husband's Johnny Walker they have to go through the undies 😂