Travel Credit Card Question

2 hours ago, cowmilker said:

That got me curious so I counted. We have nine.  That is enough.  LOL

However, having those nine credit cards and being careful about how we use them means that for our next trip, we rent a car to go to the airport, we fly to Ft. Lauderdale and then stay overnight in a hotel, and reverse that, including an overnight stay, on the way home, and a second overnight in the airport city before driving home. All of that I got with points.  So, two rental cars (24 hours each), three hotel nights, and a round trip flight for two.

We pay everything we possibly can with a credit card, as long as we incur no extra fees for doing so.

Welllllll, we do have our Costco Visa but we just use that for getting in the door 🙂  We hit our spending goal on the Alaska one so that will get put away until we fly on them and I have 100k points with them.  We have debit card for a USAA account cause they've never (to my knowledge) had foreign transaction fees and rebate up to $15/mo on ATM charges.  But that's not a credit card.  And absolutely ditto on your last sentence.  EVERYTHING.  But you really, really do need to pay them off every month.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:49 AM, clo said:

What a superb idea!  Thanks.

WOW!  Glad I got this topic back up and running.  I've learned a lot from all of you.  As a banker for years, it's hard for me to have a ton of CC's and equally hard not to close and cancel those I'm not using (credit scores drop).  SO, I will take my time to make sure it's right and working for our needs prior to applying for the card.  I am also playing the game of when I will have a large purchase so I don't lose out on the free points!  Thanks again for your assistance and knowledge!

14 minutes ago, EmeraldCoastCruisers said:

I am also playing the game of when I will have a large purchase so I don't lose out on the free points!  

Absolutely!  It's why we got the card and then started figuring out all the advantages.    Re credit scores ours are in the mid-800s and, since we own our home, cars, everything, we wouldn't be particularly concerned if it dropped back a bit.  Report back if you do anything 🙂  I find this very interesting.

21 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

One thing that I didn't see mentioned about the CSR card in the thread is that while the annual fee is 450, your first 300 in travel expenses each year are credited back to you, reducing the effective annual fee to 150.

I thought it was mentioned but maybe a different thread.  Plus you get credit for Global Entry/TSA pre-check.  Did this thread mention Priority Pass to over 1200 lounges worldwide?

On August 22, 2019 at 1:55 PM, clo said:

We have debit card for a USAA account cause they've never (to my knowledge) had foreign transaction fees and rebate up to $15/mo on ATM charges.  But that's not a credit card.  

Sadly your knowledge is out-of-date. It's a fairly recent change. We received notice and I just checked a few hours ago as we fly across the pond tomorrow. Sorry to disappoint you, but it is probably better than any other debit card in your wallet.

From their debit card FAQ. 

"Yes. When traveling outside the U.S., you can get foreign currency from an ATM. The money will be debited from your account in U.S. dollars, based on a favorable exchange rate. There's also a 1% foreign transaction fee for ATM and debit card purchases made in a foreign country. For more information, see the Service Fee Schedule Opens New Window. You can avoid a transaction fee by using your USAA credit card while traveling outside the U.S."

Edited by CPT Trips

20 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

There's also a 1% foreign transaction fee for ATM and debit card purchases made in a foreign country.

Thank you for this.  If we got a notice, we missed it.  Is the ATM fee rebate still there?  1% isn't the end of the world, but a change nonetheless.  Again, thanks.

13 hours ago, clo said:

I thought it was mentioned but maybe a different thread.  Plus you get credit for Global Entry/TSA pre-check.  Did this thread mention Priority Pass to over 1200 lounges worldwide?

I had just read the whole thread and didn't see the travel credit mentioned, although of course it has been mentioned in many prior thread.  The global entry 100 credit is a one-time thing so it helps against the initial annual fee but not every year, like the 300 travel credit.  The Priority pass did come up in this thread.  Great feature, but hard to put a $ value on it.  And of course there are lots of other benefits that make this, or something like it, a virtual no-brainer for someone who travels.

I was just trying to focus on making people less afraid of the 450 annual fee by showing that at worst it is really a 150 annual fee.  And since I was fortunate enough to get the card when the bonus was 100,000 points, those points are worth roughly $1,000 or, if used through the Chase portal, $1,500.  So that covers my 150 effective annual fee for 10 years.  So, looked at that way the card is free, yet provides amazing benefits.

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I was fortunate enough to get the card when the bonus was 100,000 points,

You braggart 🙂

But there is the warning that it's not a good deal if you don't pay it off every month.  Too lazy to look it up but I believe the interest rate is close too 25%!!!!!

4 hours ago, clo said:

You braggart 🙂

But there is the warning that it's not a good deal if you don't pay it off every month.  Too lazy to look it up but I believe the interest rate is close too 25%!!!!!

True, but to me that is an essential of EVERY credit card.  A credit card is for convenience and perks.  Anyone who uses it as a source of actual credit is a peawit.  IMO

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I had just read the whole thread and didn't see the travel credit mentioned, although of course it has been mentioned in many prior thread.  The global entry 100 credit is a one-time thing so it helps against the initial annual fee but not every year, like the 300 travel credit.  The Priority pass did come up in this thread.  Great feature, but hard to put a $ value on it.  And of course there are lots of other benefits that make this, or something like it, a virtual no-brainer for someone who travels.

I was just trying to focus on making people less afraid of the 450 annual fee by showing that at worst it is really a 150 annual fee.  And since I was fortunate enough to get the card when the bonus was 100,000 points, those points are worth roughly $1,000 or, if used through the Chase portal, $1,500.  So that covers my 150 effective annual fee for 10 years.  So, looked at that way the card is free, yet provides amazing benefits.

How are the prices through the Chase portal?

13 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

They seem normal as far as I can tell.  They have switched to using the Expedia back office engine a while ago. 

As an alternative to using their portal you can convert the points Into miles for a variety of airlines frequent flyer programs.  They cover over at 1 mile per point.

6 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

They seem normal as far as I can tell.  They have switched to using the Expedia back office engine a while ago. 

As an alternative to using their portal you can convert the points Into miles for a variety of airlines frequent flyer programs.  They cover over at 1 mile per point.

And my husband and I (same mailing address required IIRC) can combine points at no fee.

40 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I was pleasantly surprised. I checked and compared and they were no different than if I'd gone to any other website and booked there.  Getting extra bang for my points was really nice.

Oh, and I was able to combine points from all three of our Chase credit cards.  It was a little bit fiddly, and I had to resort to Youtube to figure it out (had to move one twice to finally get it where I wanted it), but it can be done.

Edited by cowmilker

4 minutes ago, cowmilker said:

I was able to combine points from all three of our Chase credit cards. 

I also recently got a Chase United Explorer card with a 40k bonus.  But not a "Sapphire." So do you think I can do something with that also?  Thanks for this info.  As a newbie to CSR I find my brain spinning a bit 🙂

1 hour ago, clo said:

But not a "Sapphire."

It's the Sapphire card that gives you extra credit when you use the Chase portal to book flights/hotels/rental cars.  At least, I think that's right.

We have a Hyatt card and a Freedom card.  The Freedom card is handy because every quarter you get increased points on certain things (gas, groceries, etc), and then we can transfer those points to the Sapphire card and get more valuable cards (that are worth more when we redeem them). We use the Hyatt card to stay at . . . Hyatt.  LOL

Yes, it's confusing as everything.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I also recently got a Chase United Explorer card with a 40k bonus.  But not a "Sapphire." So do you think I can do something with that also?  Thanks for this info.  As a newbie to CSR I find my brain spinning a bit 🙂

The United cards earn UA Mileage Plus points.  The CSR and other "non-branded" Chase cards earn Chase points.   Apples and Oranges.  The UA points are subject to the UA rules, which IIRC do not allow for free pooling.  It is the Chase points that can be pooled under certain program rules.  So they are separate and distinct products joined only by the fact that the issuer is Chase.

In general, the points you earn toward Chase/Citi/Amex programs tend to be more valuable than simple airline points from a branded card.  The reason - transferability.  Your UA points are locked into redemptions through the Mileage Plus program only.  OTOH, Chase points can be converted into many airline or hotel programs, so you have greater versatility.  (And transferring into hotels is a lousy return, FYI.)  That includes airlines in all three alliances, plus some independents.

7 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

The United cards earn UA Mileage Plus points.  The CSR and other "non-branded" Chase cards earn Chase points.   Apples and Oranges.  The UA points are subject to the UA rules, which IIRC do not allow for free pooling.  It is the Chase points that can be pooled under certain program rules.  So they are separate and distinct products joined only by the fact that the issuer is Chase.

In general, the points you earn toward Chase/Citi/Amex programs tend to be more valuable than simple airline points from a branded card.  The reason - transferability.  Your UA points are locked into redemptions through the Mileage Plus program only.  OTOH, Chase points can be converted into many airline or hotel programs, so you have greater versatility.  (And transferring into hotels is a lousy return, FYI.)  That includes airlines in all three alliances, plus some independents.

Whew 🙂 LOL!    And thanks.  That's what I figured.

15 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

The Priority pass did come up in this thread.  Great feature, but hard to put a $ value on it.  And of course there are lots of other benefits that make this, or something like it, a virtual no-brainer for someone who travels.

Figure that if you do not have elite status for lounge access, it is $59 - $100 per lounge visit.  Or $29 for Delta lounges if you have a Delta AMEX card.  At least for my Platinum card.

Of course, if you are paying, you would only use them for longer periods in the airport, so not every departure or connection.

On 8/21/2019 at 7:14 PM, MTdreaming said:

I have been happy with the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, my husband has a Chase Business Ink Preferred, they work well and do have travel insurance benefits ..much more robust that just my Chase freedom unlimited...both are great for accumulating those Chase Ultimate Reward points.

Does Sapphire Pre trip insurance include Trip Cancellation?

On 8/29/2019 at 1:16 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Just approved for the Sapphire Reserve.  I appreciate all the positive comments that incentivized me to apply.

We'll make the final payment on our cruise and get our second 50k bonus!  Pretty jazzed.

17 minutes ago, clo said:

We'll make the final payment on our cruise and get our second 50k bonus!  Pretty jazzed.

I should have applied several months ago and used it for our final payment.  Still, we'll have the card in time for our cruise.  What with hotels, on board spending, etc., we'll make a big dent in the 50k.  A couple of months of routine spending will get  us there.