Rugby World Cup 2019

edwardsdarcy

They didn't for the FIFA Women's World Cup, and not because they didn't want to, but where were were sailing, there was no broadcast available. We were sailing through the Gulf of Mexico and no country in the area had qualified, so there wasn't a pressing need to get it on the TV channels (I was also cruising through Group stage, I heard they aired the final). So, if you're sailing through the Med, you may or may not have satellite service, as England and France adore Rugby and will be big teams to watch in the tournament. 

Best of luck to whoever your team is, I'll be cheering for the USA and their (inevitably short) campaign 😄

• 2 weeks later...

We were onboard Opera during last rugby world cup and putting rugby on wasn't on the agenda of the management. Let's just say it took a number of trips to the reception to negotiate of putting rugby on. Eventually they put it on in the coffee shop 😂 and it was mute. Then they realised the audience for the rugby is too large for the coffee shop (there were a lot of English, Scottish, French and Italian people on board) and they put it in the sports bar but it was also mute. Lastly people had a bit of an argument with the cruise director, who initially refused to pull out the singer entertainment act from the pub and put the sound on for the rugby. Eventually that was sorted also and by day 4 everyone could watch rugby in the pub with the sound on 🙂

Hopefully it was lessons learned experience for MSC and this time round they will play rugby in their pubs across the fleet.

We are not cruising during this rugby world cup, but instead... we are going to the rugby world cup! Flying out to Japan next week and was lucky to get the tickets to two matches - New Zealand - South Africa and Ireland - Scotland 😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Usually good for all major sports. As other post depending on the region and the signal. Sports bars have multi-channel options on different screens which is great. I personally like the big screen but as long as you get to see your thing then its all good! On Seaview, my most recent MSC sailing they had the Champions League on and I've never missed a match my football team has played whilst on an MSC ship...amazing. It is nice to get a small booth also with a decent size (42/46") screen just for you and two or three family/friends. Quality! Love MSC at sea  

• Like 1

I'll be sailing on Armonia when the RWC starts, then I'll be on Carnival Sunshine to Bermuda during the semis.  Unfortunately, I'll be driving home from Charleston on 11/2.  And, I'll miss the World Rugby Classic in Bermuda as it begins the day my cruise ends. 😥

DD so wanted to go to Japan but just couldn't afford it.

All Blacks vs Springboks!  Wow.  Would love to be there.  We're All Blacks fans!

• 1 month later...

I wonder if anyone has an update on this one?  We are sailing from Venice next Sat when Ireland is playing.  I'd prefer to get on the ship and watch rather than risk it in an Irish pub and rush to get on board for 2.30.

We'll be on the MSC Sinfonia so dont' know if anyone has recent experience?  I've emailed MSC to ask.

On 10/13/2019 at 11:55 PM, SeaSunset22 said:

On the Seaview recently none of the Rugby World Cup games were televised in the Sports Bar or anywhere else on the ship (this was in the Med). On asking they said they did not have a licence to show it.

Oh no😓 I'd just contacted MSC UK and they said just ask in the Sports Bar and they will put it on.

I hope that's not just a case of telling me what I want to hear.

20 hours ago, dritan said:

Oh no😓 I'd just contacted MSC UK and they said just ask in the Sports Bar and they will put it on.

I hope that's not just a case of telling me what I want to hear.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope MSC UK is correct ! 🤞🤞🤞

My understanding was because it wasn't being televised on Sky they could not for licence reasons show it.

There were a lot of recently disappointed English football fans on board as MSC could not show the England qualifier game (v Bulgaria) because they didn't have the licence to televise.