Women - formal attire

JEExplorer

2 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I must confess that it was the price point that made us book with Saga.  Both Viking and Azamara were extremely expensive on their Norwegian itineraries.  

It was both the attraction of the new ship and the price which attracted me to Saga.  I had booked a very similar 7-day Norwegian cruise with Disney Cruise Line (with whom I have cruised many times) but swapped to Spirit of Discovery for 2/3 the price.  By the time you take into account the value of the included extras, it's probably closer to half the cost I would have paid to cruise DCL.  Having read nothing but excellent reviews of the food and service I'm hoping Saga will be closer to the standards I'm used to with DCL than I experienced on Cunard earlier this year.

12 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

I shall be stepping out of my usual Cunard comfort zone and have booked Spirit of Discovery for an 18 day cruise this October. I know of several other seasoned Cunarder's who have also booked  various cruises on the new ship.

We have no intention of lowering our dress standards, we'll be bringing Cunard's 'evening wear standards' along with us too,  so I guess formal evening on Saga will be here to stay for quite some time yet . 😉  

Do I take it that you are not the gentleman who dressed up as Oliver Hardy for one formal night on QM2 earlier this year? 

Or one half of the couple who were dressed head to toe in Union Flag clothing?  Admittedly they were in the buffet during the daytime so not strictly in contravention of the dress code.  ☺️

Edited by Tigrou
Correction
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tigrou said:

Do I take it that you are not the gentleman who dressed up as Oliver Hardy for one formal night on QM2 earlier this year? 

Or one half of the couple who were dressed head to toe in Union Flag clothing?  Admittedly they were in the buffet during the daytime so not strictly in contravention of the dress code.  ☺️

Certainly not, are you sure you are not getting confused with P&O , however, I do know what you mean. Since Cunard changed the description from Formal to 'Gala' ( this obviously came as a direction from the Cunard 'North American office' 😉)  This is an opportunity for some confused souls to dig out the dressing up box .

Like you I've seen some sights , eg, a guy dressed as a victorian Chimney Sweep, complete with blacken face and a brush.😅 

11 hours ago, Tigrou said:

Okay, so you haven't been on Saga yet but you are making assumptions about their guests.  Whereas 'sweep' is reporting what they have actually experienced on board.

Perhaps you should wait until you have experienced Saga before passing judgement.

In no way was I passing any judgement on Saga guests, in fact my reply was just the opposite. I was complimenting them .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Certainly not, are you sure you are not getting confused with P&O , however, I do know what you mean. Since Cunard changed the description from Formal to 'Gala' ( this obviously came as a direction from the Cunard 'North American office' 😉)  This is an opportunity for some confused souls to dig out the dressing up box .

Like you I've seen some sights , eg, a guy dressed as a victorian Chimney Sweep, complete with blacken face and a brush.😅 

Never been on P&O myself so no idea if it's an accepted form of dress on their ships, but don't think the 'union flag' couple should have been allowed out of their cabin on any cruise line.  Or possibly even out of their home!  Still, they certainly appeared to provide some amusement for the King's Court staff.  I'm convinced word was going around as so many of them suddenly found a reason to walk by, and the looks on their faces were a picture, desperately trying to stifle giggles.

Good grief, I thought the Oliver Hardy impersonator was inappropriate but your chimney sweep beats him hands down.  Unless of course he was an escaped performer from a Mary Poppins number in the Royal Theatre!  

We have booked our first cruise with Saga for next year, sadly having read this thread I am disappointed to see such judgemental opinions which appear to show a lack of respect and tolerance to fellow passengers. I am afraid if this is what we see on board we will be sticking with Viking. 

Just came across Saga. Everything looks attractive with the exception of high priced excursions and formal attire.  We used to do formal,  but have given it up. Love Azamara, Oceania and Viking smart casual attire.  Will back off from any cruise that has formal nights. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Just came across Saga. Everything looks attractive with the exception of high priced excursions and formal attire.  We used to do formal,  but have given it up. Love Azamara, Oceania and Viking smart casual attire.  Will back off from any cruise that has formal nights. 

Fair enough, we all have that choice 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 3:12 PM, sweep said:

What is really surprising me on SOD is the very casual dress by some on the ‘smart casual’ nights. I have observed hoodies, jeans and flip flops.  

Oh dear- I hope it's not that casual or my two booked Saga cruises may be my last. 

On 9/28/2019 at 10:21 AM, Host Sharon said:

Oh dear- I hope it's not that casual or my two booked Saga cruises may be my last. 

On reflection it was only that one night when it was really bad and then only by a minority of people. It was a port day so perhaps they were pushed for time

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2019 at 1:40 PM, Tigrou said:

Never been on P&O myself so no idea if it's an accepted form of dress on their ships, but don't think the 'union flag' couple should have been allowed out of their cabin on any cruise line.  Or possibly even out of their home!  Still, they certainly appeared to provide some amusement for the King's Court staff.  I'm convinced word was going around as so many of them suddenly found a reason to walk by, and the looks on their faces were a picture, desperately trying to stifle giggles.

Good grief, I thought the Oliver Hardy impersonator was inappropriate but your chimney sweep beats him hands down.  Unless of course he was an escaped performer from a Mary Poppins number in the Royal Theatre!  

P&O are very formal, perhaps second only to Cunard. They have 2 formal evenings a week, which they now call Black Tie. These are fairly strictly enforced and observed, with typically over 90% of men wearing dinner jackets and the remainder wearing lounge suits.

• Haha 1

Following up on my last post and an earlier one by another member, I have always felt that formal dress codes weigh more heavily on men than women. Men are required to wear dinner jackets or lounge suits, the female equivalents of which are evening gowns or coctail dresses. Yet women can get away with "a pair of slacks and a nice top", whereas a man so attired may well be refused service. Surely sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander?

Puts tin hat on!

Has anyone been on a short break?  We are booked on a four night one next year and wonder if there is a formal night for short cruises. My dh does have a very lightweight dinner suit bought for next to nothing in M&S in an after Christmas sale.  It weighs hardly anything as it is only a cheap fabric, serves the purpose though.

24 minutes ago, shoreham01 said:

Has anyone been on a short break?  We are booked on a four night one next year and wonder if there is a formal night for short cruises. My dh does have a very lightweight dinner suit bought for next to nothing in M&S in an after Christmas sale.  It weighs hardly anything as it is only a cheap fabric, serves the purpose though.

Yes there will be one. I have been on a 4 night trip.

No tin had needed, Denarius.  Most female cruisers would agree with you - we have the option of a possibly uncomfortable 'evening gown', or something lighter and less stiff, like evening trousers or skirt and lightweight top, preferably a bit 'dressy'.☺️

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

No tin had needed, Denarius.  Most female cruisers would agree with you - we have the option of a possibly uncomfortable 'evening gown', or something lighter and less stiff, like evening trousers or skirt and lightweight top, preferably a bit 'dressy'.☺️

Ladies have what is effectively "optional formal". They have the option of wearing smart clothes which are not strictly formal and which would be equally at home on a smart casual evening. Men do not - perhaps they should.

On 11/19/2019 at 2:17 PM, Denarius said:

Ladies have what is effectively "optional formal". They have the option of wearing smart clothes which are not strictly formal and which would be equally at home on a smart casual evening. Men do not - perhaps they should.

I agree too.  Got rid of all my long dresses and anything with sequins three years ago when we discovered Viking ocean cruises!  Though in the past, I have been known to wear the same little black dress for casual, semi-formal (Think that was what P&O used to call one of their dress codes) and formal evenings. 

• 3 months later...