AARP Carnival Cards? will they still have them after 8/31/19

ChosenOne

3 hours ago, drafterdw said:

Don't they charge an activation fee at Target? I thought the activation fee would negate the 5%

No.. you get the whole amount... $100 gift card costs $95.. no fees at all...as long as you pay off your balance at the end of the month..  Finance charges would put you in negative!!

Edited by markrph
additional info

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, I had to order my gift cards later than I expected due to Hurricane Dorian. I needed by November 17th final pay by date but the uncertainty of whether I would have house damage and delivery issues after a hurricane caused me to wait.

I ordered on 9/3, they said they shipped on 9/4, and I received them on 9/9. There was no way to track (there was a Track button on the My Rewards page but it did not function) and when UPS delivered, I was not home and they left them with a neighbor. I thought a signature was required with $3000 in gift cards, but I was thankful when my neighbor knocked and gave them to me.

4 hours ago, bluesman0711 said:

FYI, I had to order my gift cards later than I expected due to Hurricane Dorian. I needed by November 17th final pay by date but the uncertainty of whether I would have house damage and delivery issues after a hurricane caused me to wait.

I ordered on 9/3, they said they shipped on 9/4, and I received them on 9/9. There was no way to track (there was a Track button on the My Rewards page but it did not function) and when UPS delivered, I was not home and they left them with a neighbor. I thought a signature was required with $3000 in gift cards, but I was thankful when my neighbor knocked and gave them to me.

Yes, a signature is required for gift card orders of $500 or more. Did you ask your neighbor, maybe they signed for them?

Create a (free) UPS MyChoice account and install their app. When you have gift card orders that ship via UPS, you can track it from there, either on their website or through the app. It'll give you a 4-hour delivery window, but for a fee, they'll narrow it down to a 2-hour window. You can re-route your order to a UPS Store (free) or send it to a different address (for a fee). You can also request to leave it with a neighbor, but it looks like they already did that for you. You can authorize the delivery without a signature, but do so at your own risk when dealing with a lot of money in gift cards.

If you call AARP, they should be able to give you tracking info. too.

43 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

That 4 hour delivery window is not always adhered to. Supposed to be in the afternoon and truck came at 9:00am when I was not home. Had to wait till next noon to pick up at store.

We had two orders in July, about two weeks apart. The first one was within the window. That was the first time I had used MyChoice, so when it came time for the second order, I thought it'd be trustworthy. For the second one, the window was from 11:30-3:30. On the morning of delivery, it still showed the same window, so I planned accordingly. A couple hours later, something told me to check the app again and it's a good thing I did, because the window changed to 8:30-11:30. Luckily, I was able to rush home and the driver showed up about 10 minutes later. Dirty little trick.

1 hour ago, bluesman0711 said:

How would you know it was UPS? I wasn't given anything that indicated who they were shipping with or a tracking number of any kind.

Just from experience being members of these rewards programs. Orders under $500 are shipped USPS and don't need a signature. Orders $500 & up ship UPS and do require a signature.

3 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Just from experience being members of these rewards programs. Orders under $500 are shipped USPS and don't need a signature. Orders $500 & up ship UPS and do require a signature.

So you can just search your name on MyChoice and find your shipment with UPS?

20 minutes ago, bluesman0711 said:

OK so you do actually need a tracking number.

If you have My choice, it will automatically alert you of any shipment on the way if you set up alerts in your account. Ask it to alert you when anything is shipped and again when there is delivery info.

31 minutes ago, bluesman0711 said:

So you can just search your name on MyChoice and find your shipment with UPS?

No, you create a MyChoice account. Then when you login through the website and/or smartphone app, it'll show you all UPS packages that are scheduled to be delivered to your address. Once UPS picks it up from the shipper and enters it into their system, it'll show up in your MyChoice (or shortly after). If you want, you can set up alerts through email or text messages for different stages of the shipping process.

For orders shipped by USPS, you can call AARP and get a tracking number. You can also do that if you don't want to create a MyChoice account.

2 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

If you have My choice, it will automatically alert you of any shipment on the way if you set up alerts in your account. Ask it to alert you when anything is shipped and again when there is delivery info.

That sounds pretty cool, I will check it out.

Thanks everyone for the help!

34 minutes ago, steveweese said:

Strange question. I am an AARP member and have about 7000 points. Don’t know how I got them and don’t know how to get more. Any help?

I'm an actual member, too, but you do not have to be one to participate in their rewards program. Points come from promo codes in certain AARP emails (not all of them) and by taking their short quizzes on their rewards website, formerly known as Rewards for Good. Right now their revamping their rewards program and changing it to AARP Rewards. The new program begins Sept. 24th. Any points you currently have will not carry over, so they have to be redeemed before midnight on Sept. 23rd or you'll lose them. And we can't earn any more points right now until the new program starts. Go to https://www.aarp.org/rewards-for-good and login with your account, then click on "Redeem Points" if you'd like to purchase some of these gift cards. They're found under the "Gift Cards" tab at the top of that page. If you don't want to buy any gift cards, you can use the points to enter their sweepstakes if you want. We lose all of our current points anyway, so might as well use them in some way.

Edited by Organized Chaos

With UPS MyChoice, you will only get the initial email if something is being sent UPS SurePost.  UPS Surepost means UPS delivers it to USPS who then delivers it to you.  You only get additional alerts if UPS is delivering the package to you themselves.  The initial email will say if a package is ineligible for further alerts.  If UPS later decides to deliver the SurePost package themselves, you still won't get additional alerts.

38 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I'm an actual member, too, but you do not have to be one to participate in their rewards program. Points come from promo codes in certain AARP emails (not all of them) and by taking their short quizzes on their rewards website, formerly known as Rewards for Good. Right now their revamping their rewards program and changing it to AARP Rewards. The new program begins Sept. 24th. Any points you currently have will not carry over, so they have to be redeemed before midnight on Sept. 23rd or you'll lose them. And we can't earn any more points right now until the new program starts. Go to https://www.aarp.org/rewards-for-good and login with your account, then click on "Redeem Points" if you'd like to purchase some of these gift cards. They're found under the "Gift Cards" tab at the top of that page. If you don't want to buy any gift cards, you can use the points to enter their sweepstakes if you want. We lose all of our current points anyway, so might as well use them in some way.

Yup. Use it or lose it by Sept. 23. I used up all my points on the Sweepstakes. And it's coming up on the 21st I believe.

54 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Yup. Use it or lose it by Sept. 23. I used up all my points on the Sweepstakes. And it's coming up on the 21st I believe.

Correction!   "Keep Using Your Points through Monday, September 23, 11:59 PM ET!" Per AARP website.