Solo cabin upgrade

cruiser147147

3 hours ago, cruiser147147 said:

If you have a solo cabin booked and paid in full and a higher catagory cabin (solo occupant price) drops to what you paid (or less) for the solo, will NCL let you do a direct no bid upgrade?

Yes, as long as it is not a Sail Away cabin rate.

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

Has nothing to do with what the OP is asking about.

and neither does your post......    especially seeing it was pointed out 10 hours before you brought it back up 

Just curious as to why people don't read a thread entirely before posting...  it would make this forum so much cleaner 

• Like 1

If NCL offers you a chance to bid for an upgrade by email you're eligible and the terms in the offer apply: you'll pay 2X your winning bid amount. 

If you don't get the email or see it on your myncl.com home page you aren't eligible to bid, no matter your cabin type booked or pricing plan used for booking.

22 hours ago, cruiser147147 said:

If you have a solo cabin booked and paid in full and a higher catagory cabin (solo occupant price) drops to what you paid (or less) for the solo, will NCL let you do a direct no bid upgrade?

I’ve sailed solo and yes, you can upgrade from ANY cabin if you’re willing to pay double the UPGRADE price. I’ve originally book solo in an inside and after multiple changes, upgraded to a full Penthouse Suite (not with only price drops but also with just forking out the extra money).You do need to make sure you understand the “rules” in the process because, this can be looked at as a cancel/rebook and some of the offers are for “new bookings” only and you may gain perks -or- you may lose perks.

I always keep an eye on the prices because my TA was “too busy” to do it herself. The last few years I’ve been booking directly thru NCL and have scored some great price drops. I did, however, book my 2020 cruise thru a new TA.....and so far I’m really happy. 🤞🏼

On 8/24/2019 at 7:54 AM, cruiser147147 said:

The answer is, in most cases, yes. Since you've already checked the price for a solo, which already includes the single supplement, you'd simply ask to upgrade by paying the difference between what you've already paid for your solo cabin and the cabin you want to upgrade to.  Would you lose your Free at sea promos, maybe, maybe not. 

I'd give it a try, what have you got to lose... besides some perks. 😉

Good luck

There seems to be some confusion about what the OP asked. I think the question was specific about if he has specifically watched prices and found that a cabin price has dropped to a single occupant rate that is similar to what they paid for their original cabin (which is paid in full) can they pay to upgrade into that higher category cabin. 

OP - I can share what happened to me recently, but cant say it is an always scenario. 

Months ago I paid in full a studio cabin for an October sailing. I watched prices daily for over a month as we got closer to the sailing date. I think you are watching prices as well. 😁  And yippee after all the diligent checking, one day a single occupancy price finally pops up for inside, balcony, and mini suite. But, the single occupancy offer is only for sail away GTY. So, if I am lucky enough to be allowed to upgrade, I will lose a perk and the option tonchoose a specific cabin. I had the 3 specialty dining perk option. I called NCL. I could not qualify for the balcony upgrade because the price difference was not in the right range for a free upgrade. (No need to ask about an inside, right)  But, I could pay $50 to upgrade to the mini suite based on the price difference. No problem. I paid it. So, I went from a solo cabin paid in full with one perk and a great room location to a mini suite with no perks and a location to be determined by NCL. Fine with me. The price difference made up for the one perk loss. Again, this was for $50 total, not per person because there was no single supplement. That price drop was only available that one day. I continue to watch the prices daily. They went right back to double occupancy the next day and no price drops again so far. I will continue to watch as we continue to get closer to the sail date. My new cabin has not heen assigned yet. I now receive emails about bidding to upgrade. I have not bid. Probably will not. 😁

So, to answer your question, yes it is possible to do a direct no bid upgrade to a higher category room when there is a single occupancy price drop for a higher category room.  Possible but I am not sure how much of a norm it is. I can only share about my experience. And if the prices line up, it might not even cost you $50. 

And no, I am not freaked out about the possible location of my new cabin. I enjoy cruising. I have no desire to be negative about a fun experience. I will make it a great cruise experience wherever the cabin is located. 😁

Edited by blueslily
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, blueslily said:

sail away GTY

Are you confusing the 2 terms?  There's a sail-away rate (no perks) and a GTY rate (all free-at-sea perks, or pick 2 if you don't want all).  The GTY balcony rate (BF), which includes the free-at-sea perks, does qualify for the solo discount (on my sailing anyway).  If you take the free/reduced air with that you lose the solo discount and pay full double rate.

• Like 1

Hello I did the following May of 2018; I had paid $1,099 base for the studio (then had another $200 off from NCL mastercard points)- a week before sailing I saw a Balcony (not a GTY) for 1 person was $1,149.  

I paid the $50 difference + another $20 as the gratuity for the SDP had risen since my original booking. I selected 250 minutes free internet as a second promo that I got with the balcony.

However, I then paid around $130 more for unlimited premium internet after boarding. Note I didn't need the premium as I wasn't streaming but it was easy for me to be convinced due to the 4 dark and stormy's consumed in the prior 2 hours. 

7 hours ago, hallux said:

Are you confusing the 2 terms?  There's a sail-away rate (no perks) and a GTY rate (all free-at-sea perks, or pick 2 if you don't want all).  The GTY balcony rate (BF), which includes the free-at-sea perks, does qualify for the solo discount (on my sailing anyway).  If you take the free/reduced air with that you lose the solo discount and pay full double rate.

I am using the terms that are listed on my confirmation from NCL. 

Thanks

17 hours ago, blueslily said:

There seems to be some confusion about what the OP asked.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I tried to be as accurate as I could.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I think the question was specific about if he has specifically watched prices and found that a cabin price has dropped to a single occupant rate that is similar to what they paid for their original cabin (which is paid in full) can they pay to upgrade into that higher category cabin. 

Exactly right.

OP - I can share what happened to me recently, but cant say it is an always scenario. 

Months ago I paid in full a studio cabin for an October sailing. I watched prices daily for over a month as we got closer to the sailing date. I think you are watching prices as well. 😁 

--------------------

Yes I am.

And yippee after all the diligent checking, one day a single occupancy price finally pops up for inside, balcony, and mini suite. But, the single occupancy offer is only for sail away GTY. So, if I am lucky enough to be allowed to upgrade, I will lose a perk and the option tonchoose a specific cabin. I had the 3 specialty dining perk option. I called NCL. I could not qualify for the balcony upgrade because the price difference was not in the right range for a free upgrade. (No need to ask about an inside, right)  But, I could pay $50 to upgrade to the mini suite based on the price difference. No problem. I paid it. So, I went from a solo cabin paid in full with one perk and a great room location to a mini suite with no perks and a location to be determined by NCL. Fine with me. The price difference made up for the one perk loss. Again, this was for $50 total, not per person because there was no single supplement. That price drop was only available that one day. I continue to watch the prices daily. They went right back to double occupancy the next day and no price drops again so far. I will continue to watch as we continue to get closer to the sail date. My new cabin has not heen assigned yet. I now receive emails about bidding to upgrade. I have not bid. Probably will not. 😁

So, to answer your question, yes it is possible to do a direct no bid upgrade to a higher category room when there is a single occupancy price drop for a higher category room.  Possible but I am not sure how much of a norm it is. I can only share about my experience. And if the prices line up, it might not even cost you $50. 

And no, I am not freaked out about the possible location of my new cabin. I enjoy cruising. I have no desire to be negative about a fun experience. I will make it a great cruise experience wherever the cabin is located. 😁

Thanks for the 1st hand experience response.

Subject now closed as far as I am concerned---thanks to all who have replied.