NCL Wine Allowance (.. and SHHH ..smuggling question) ..

F27TW

16 minutes ago, Firepath said:

One more question, not about wine. Can you buy the little single-serve bottles of alcohol in the gift shops? My husband likes to add a little something for his aches and pains to his soda in the evening and he isn't on the drink plan, except soda. 

No have not seen the airline miniatures in any gift or duty free shop.

There maybe some miniatures in the mini-fridge but be wary of any seals that have been tampered with !

And those darn miniatures really cost as much a full liter bottle of booze off ship - egads !

6 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

No have not seen the airline miniatures in any gift or duty free shop.

There maybe some miniatures in the mini-fridge but be wary of any seals that have been tampered with !

And those darn miniatures really cost as much a full liter bottle of booze off ship - egads !

Darn. Can we buy a full size? Might be cheaper than $99 x 2 per day.

2 hours ago, KarlChilders said:

can't find a reference right now, but I seem to recall bottles of various booze available from room service in the $80-$100 range.  Maybe someone can confirm.

That would be the Bar-Set-Up ordered thru Room Service

Not the current list - just to give you an idea how it works:

Note 2013 date !

These alcoholic beverages are sold as Bar Set Up amenity orders. Available on all Ships excluding Pride of America.
Please Note: Pricing from Nov. 2013
Bar Set-Up is available for all stateroom categories.
Bar Set-Up is available for purchase onboard but you will be charged 15% on top of the price of the bottle instead of the $3 service fee.
Bar Set-Up must be pre-arranged before the voyage and can be requested up to the day prior to sailing.
Prices are subject to change. Service fee of $3.00 per bottle will be applied. 1.800.327.7030

Bourbon/Whiskey
Seagram's 7 Crown $80 1 Ltr
Jack Daniel's Black $100 1 Ltr
Crown Royal Special Reserve $100 750 Ml
Cognac
Courvoisier VS $120 750 ml
Rémy Martin V.S.O.P $100 700 ml
Gin
Beefeater $80 1 Ltr
Bombay Sapphire $100 1 Ltr
Liqueurs
Baileys Irish Cream $100 1 Ltr
Southern Comfort $100 1 Ltr
Disaronno Amaretto $100 1 Ltr
Godiva Chocolate $100 750 Ml
Grand Marnier $100 1 Ltr
Kahlua $100 1 Ltr
Rum
Bacardi Superior $80 1 Ltr
Captain Morgan $80 1 Ltr
Scotch Whiskey
J&B Rare $80 1 Ltr
Glenfiddich $100 1 Ltr
Chivas Regal $100 1 Ltr
JW Black $123 980 Ml
Tequila
Cuervo Gold $80 1 Ltr
1800 Reposado $100 750 Ml
Don Julio Reposado $120 750 Ml
Vodka
Smirnoff $80 1 Ltr
Absolut $100 1 Ltr
Absolut Citron $100 1 Ltr
Absolut Apeach $100 1 Ltr
Grey Goose $120 1 Ltr
Grey Goose L'Orange $120 1 Ltr
Grey Goose La Poire $120 1 Ltr

Looks like he should stick with what he calls the "foo foo" drink of the day specials! Besides, we are on the POA, so it looks like we are excluded anyways. Thanks for the great info though!

Edited by Firepath

1 hour ago, Firepath said:

Looks like he should stick with what he calls the "foo foo" drink of the day specials! Besides, we are on the POA, so it looks like we are excluded anyways. Thanks for the great info though!

That list was from 2013, and lots has changed on the POA regarding purchasing drinks in the past year, so it may not be excluded any more.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 2:04 PM, F27TW said:

"Corkage Fee", huh?     What about if da bottle has a screw top?   OR in a box!

I was once stuck in line at the corkage desk behind a woman who was adamantly, repeatedly trying to argue that she should not have to pay corkage on her two bottles.  She would drink it he cabin, not a public venue.  That argument failed.She would open it herself.  That too failed.  She specifically bought wine with screw top, so there cannot be a “corkage fee.”  Though she was told she still owed the fee if she wanted to consume her own wine on the ship, she would not let that last argument go.  She kept arguing while the line behind kept growing.  The corkage desk personnel did not relent, the line of people stared at her and she finally signed her slip and took her Barefoot wine on board.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I was once stuck in line at the corkage desk behind a woman who was adamantly, repeatedly trying to argue that she should not have to pay corkage on her two bottles.  She would drink it he cabin, not a public venue.  That argument failed.She would open it herself.  That too failed.  She specifically bought wine with screw top, so there cannot be a “corkage fee.”  Though she was told she still owed the fee if she wanted to consume her own wine on the ship, she would not let that last argument go.  She kept arguing while the line behind kept growing.  The corkage desk personnel did not relent, the line of people stared at her and she finally signed her slip and took her Barefoot wine on board.

Thats a good one 😅

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Some people like what they like, and would rather have the cheaper wine with the $15 add on than something they don't want to try on the ship.  When we took POA, a lot of people went to Costco and brought back their own choice of cheaper wine, which was still cheaper after the corkage fee, and had exactly what they wanted.

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

Some people like what they like, and would rather have the cheaper wine with the $15 add on than something they don't want to try on the ship.  When we took POA, a lot of people went to Costco and brought back their own choice of cheaper wine, which was still cheaper after the corkage fee, and had exactly what they wanted.

I really did not care what wine she drank or why she likes it, but I did not enjoy listening to her loudly repeating the same losing argument over and over while holding up other passengers (my DH included) who just wanted to peacefully pay their corkage and go check in.  I remember her brand of wine because I stared at it as spent so long behind her as she made a spectacle of herself...and in the end paid the same fee as if she had behaved like other adults.  She repeated the “screw top, so no cork, so no corkage fee argument” a lot. 

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:     Decided against the Rum Runner flask (because I couldn't find it the morning we were leaving!)  …  but took 2  bottles of wine with me instead .. in my carry-on .. fully intending and willing to pay the $15 per charge.   We got dropped off … and apparently at the curb, I had put my carry on down too hard .. because as we had just gotten in the line for security inside the pier .. I smelled wine.    I looked down and saw red wine pouring down my leg, onto my new white sneakers … so I ran outside so as not to destroy their carpet … and discovered both bottles had cracked and dumped their contents into my carry on!

Cruise documents soaked and dyed purple … my Kindle destroyed .. but of course (unfortunately)  my hub's cigarettes somehow did NOT get destroyed .. I wish THOSE had!  LOL

So I dumped the entire bag .. broken bottles and all right into the trash outside at the curb.   I'll bet if you go there today, you'll still see a wine stain right there in the pavement!     I actually never saw where they nab you and make you pay the corkage fee .. but by then I was still steaming over the mess I made, so I prob. just didn't notice.   

BTW the standard bar package was great .. no need to upgrade higher .. Grey Goose is included with the basic package.   But .. did you know that while youre docked in port , they charge you tax on your cocktails??    Is that a NYC thing?  I never noticed that going outta NJ, Fla or SJU.

Edited by F27TW
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, F27TW said:

UPDATE:    

BTW the standard bar package was great .. no need to upgrade higher .. Grey Goose is included with the basic package.   But .. did you know that while youre docked in port , they charge you tax on your cocktails??    Is that a NYC thing?  I never noticed that going outta NJ, Fla or SJU.

This is a true tragedy, my sympathies definitely go out to you.  (It really can put a wrench in your plans, never mind the mess)

The tax is required in NYC, I thought also Miami.  Maybe Galveston?

1 hour ago, F27TW said:

UPDATE:     Decided against the Rum Runner flask (because I couldn't find it the morning we were leaving!)  …  but took 2  bottles of wine with me instead .. in my carry-on .. fully intending and willing to pay the $15 per charge.   We got dropped off … and apparently at the curb, I had put my carry on down too hard .. because as we had just gotten in the line for security inside the pier .. I smelled wine.    I looked down and saw red wine pouring down my leg, onto my new white sneakers … so I ran outside so as not to destroy their carpet … and discovered both bottles had cracked and dumped their contents into my carry on!

Cruise documents soaked and dyed purple … my Kindle destroyed .. but of course (unfortunately)  my hub's cigarettes somehow did NOT get destroyed .. I wish THOSE had!  LOL

So I dumped the entire bag .. broken bottles and all right into the trash outside at the curb.   I'll bet if you go there today, you'll still see a wine stain right there in the pavement!     I actually never saw where they nab you and make you pay the corkage fee .. but by then I was still steaming over the mess I made, so I prob. just didn't notice.   

Oh, that is a sad story.  I always pack bottles carefully, wrapping my bottles in dark clothing.  I try to keep them with me in hand luggage rather entrust them to drivers or other luggage handlers.  I’ve never had a single bottle break, much less two bottles.  Bottles not so carefully packed coming home in my trunk from local stores (often just paper or plastic bags), yet none of those have broken either.  Guess I have been luckier than you.