NCL Wine Allowance (.. and SHHH ..smuggling question) ..

F27TW

On 8/25/2019 at 8:08 AM, bluesea777 said:

@F27TW

You realize that NCL DO come here and read these threads, and now your avatar is a clear selfie of yourself - bet that they will post the photo everywhere on the Escape when you board on Sunday!!

Declare and pay up like we all do!

🤣🤣

So true. You will also be denied access to the glass bottom viewing room, the marine life is amazing.

• Haha 3

On 8/24/2019 at 9:04 PM, F27TW said:

First time on Norwegian coming up!    Previously RCCL guys and curious whether or not NCL allows the 2 bottles of wine per cabin to be taken on board like RC does.

Also .. how is port of NYC with regard to smuggling liquor in checked bag .. are Rum Runner flasks usually making it through there?  😉     Don't tell anyone i asked ...  LOL

Why would you even think of rum runners when almost everyone on the ship has the beverage package?

19 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Why would you even think of rum runners when almost everyone on the ship has the beverage package?

I like havin a little stash in the cabin if i wanna make a  cocktail before dinner .. or after if I'm not in the mood to go find the bar.   Its nice.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2019 at 5:39 AM, NYrunner said:

That wasn't my experience when our wine (2 bottles) was taken from our luggage this past April. The process was quite simple...walk down to the mid-ship dining room, pay the corkage fee, and they returned our wine for us to enjoy in our cabin.

A $15 corkage fee .. on a $10 bottle of wine that has a screw top?    Hell no.   Lol

On 8/25/2019 at 9:58 AM, FranknBeans said:

If you cant afford to pay for booze package then you probably  cant afford to be cruising.I suggest you stick to camping.

... from someone with the screen name "Franks and Beans"   LMAO!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/25/2019 at 8:08 AM, bluesea777 said:

@F27TW

You realize that NCL DO come here and read these threads, and now your avatar is a clear selfie of yourself - bet that they will post the photo everywhere on the Escape when you board on Sunday!!

Declare and pay up like we all do!

🤣🤣

Then i will outsmart everyone ... i will board in disguise ... and just to be safe,  hide the Rum Runners in my husband's checked bag. His pic is not on here ..  so there.  

You're one of those icky people who tattles on other people all the time, huh ?  

Edited by F27TW
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/24/2019 at 7:12 PM, Sauer-kraut said:

You are allowed to carry on as many bottles as you wish, each 750 ml bottle will incur a $15 corkage fee, payable at the table before you board. 

As to the rum runners, NCL'ers don't really talk about such things here.

That is not exactly correct.  You DO get 2 bottles free of corkage fee per cabin.  So if there are 2 adults in the cabin ... each gets 1 bottle of wine or champagne (no hard liquor) free of corkage ... THEN anything additional you bring aboard is subject to $15 per bottle corkage fee. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 3:39 AM, NYrunner said:

That wasn't my experience when our wine (2 bottles) was taken from our luggage this past April. The process was quite simple...walk down to the mid-ship dining room, pay the corkage fee, and they returned our wine for us to enjoy in our cabin.

Why was your wine considered contraband?  2 adults in 1 cabin are allowed 2 bottles free of corkage fees.  

On 8/25/2019 at 6:59 AM, mjkacmom said:

You do realize by now that you are mistaken, NCL’s wine policy has remained unchanged, they just let you go to shut you up. It has clearly stated that the corkage fee of $15 per bottle will be charged for every bottle brought onboard. You are the only person who has ever claimed anything different on this board. NCL doesn’t care where you drink your wine, it’s $15 regardless, always has been.

This isn't true ... I have been through ... as a solo cruiser ...with 2 bottles of wine and have NEVER paid a corkage fee.  I even carried it by hand in the plastic bag the liquor store gave me and put it through the scanner and at check in counter ... was told no fee needed.  this was last sept. 2018 ... so not that long ago. 

This past April ... me & my friend/cabinmate went through each with 2 bottles and never paid corkage fee.  We did only drink it in the cabin ..but if we had poured it into glasses and walked around with them ... that would have been fine also. 

Edited by CruiseGal999
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

That is not exactly correct.  You DO get 2 bottles free of corkage fee per cabin.  So if there are 2 adults in the cabin ... each gets 1 bottle of wine or champagne (no hard liquor) free of corkage ... THEN anything additional you bring aboard is subject to $15 per bottle corkage fee. 

Thank you!   THAT was the answer I was hoping to hear !   Lotsa wrong answers from all the other experts though, huh?  😉

22 minutes ago, LaCal said:

Rum runners are simple and perfect 😜🍹🍹

Even when I have the free drink package or even pay for the drink pkg on other lines I always bring 1-2 RR for the cabin 

See? You understand me!  Lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, F27TW said:

Then i will outsmart everyone ... i will board in disguise ... and just to be safe,  hide the Rum Runners in my husband's checked bag. His pic is not on here ..  so there.  

Whatever. But it IS true that NCL do read these threads!

I would die of alcohol poisoning if I brought anything on AND still drank my body weight out on the pool deck. 🤣🤣🤣 

I usually double fist a couple of drinks and throw them in my fridge. I need the space in my suitcase for clothes. 

• Haha 2

Do what you want.  

Hard for me to see how it’s worth the effort, luggage space, possibility of having to remove clothing to show what’s hiding.....all to smuggle a cheap bottle of wine or liquor when you can just go to any bar on board, get wine, beer or liquor.  It’s not like there isn’t a bar every 25 feet, or delivered to your cabin if ordered by phone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

On NCL the rule is corkage fee from the first bottle. No free bottles on NCL.

If you have been allowed to bring wine for free they haven't followed their rules.

9 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

This isn't true ... I have been through ... as a solo cruiser ...with 2 bottles of wine and have NEVER paid a corkage fee.  I even carried it by hand in the plastic bag the liquor store gave me and put it through the scanner and at check in counter ... was told no fee needed.  this was last sept. 2018 ... so not that long ago. 

Which ship was that?

Edited by sverigecruiser
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, F27TW said:

Great reply😂😂😂

Boy o Boy...just stating an experience from yrs ago before acquiring Liquor perk. At the time , it was stated " public places " and my cabin was not public...

Never made a scene or raised my voice even after speaking with the Beverage mngr. I'm old school - show me . 

Sorry to upset some..

13 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Why was your wine considered contraband?  2 adults in 1 cabin are allowed 2 bottles free of corkage fees.  

The rules clearly state that corkage is paid on all bottles. There is no 2 bootle rule on NCL.

You may well have gone through with two bottles without paying corkage. Personally, I once went through with 6 bottles and wasn't charged, but all that means is that the staff at the time decided for whatever reason not to charge me.

I have also been charged for just one bottle on a number of occasions.

The rule is inconsistently applied, but if anyone takes just one bottle onboard they are liable to be charged.

A big problem with discussions on this subject (as well as some others) is that people state their personal experiences as a fixed rule.

Similarly, people often state that if you buy with from the shop in the terminal in Barcelona you won't be charged corkage for it. Just because it worked for them, doesn't mean it will work for everyone, and many people have followed that advice, paid the inflated prices at that shop, and then had to pay the corkage as well.

With regard to whether you will be charged corkage on NCL generally, the answer is that you officially should, but sometimes they don't charge you (even if you are very upfront about it). However, if you believe someone on Cruise Critic who tells you that you can take 2 bottles without a fee then you are at great risk of being disappointed. When they do charge you for those two bottles then claiming that someone here told you that you could won't help at all.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 3