NCL Wine Allowance (.. and SHHH ..smuggling question) ..

F27TW

I looked at the Viva Vino link and have a couple of questions. Is that wine for purchase on the ship from NCL so no corkage fee? Would NCL's shabby chic little sister, POA have such a thing? My TA said something was different with the drink plan for Hawaii.

Edited by Firepath

2 minutes ago, Firepath said:

I looked at the Viva Vino link and have a couple of questions. Is that wine for purchase on the ship from NCL so no corkage fee? Would NCL's shabby chic little sister, POA have such a thing? My TA said something was different with the drink plan for Hawaii.

No Corkage Fee for the Viva Vino program - a good deal !

I don't have the details for the POA - but Hawaii liquor laws pertain mostly to hard high proof spirits.

Champagne flows fluidly on the POA thus I think vino would also - - -

Readers comments - - -

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Firepath said:

Yes, Viva Vino was available on the POA when I was onboard last year.

The Hawaiian laws mainly relate to forms of "all you can drink" deals. Viva Vino is basically just a discount, so no problem with that.

• Like 1

So I called NCL just to confirm and the rep read me something that said Viva Vino is available on all NCL Ships except POA (after he asked me what Viva Vino is), but then he said that might be an old statement from prior to their introducing a beverage package on NCL last year. I guess we'll wait and see and hope for the best.

Edited by Firepath

34 minutes ago, Firepath said:

So I called NCL just to confirm and the rep read me something that said Viva Vino is available on all NCL Ships except POA (after he asked me what Viva Vino is), but then he said that might be an old statement from prior to their introducing a beverage package on NCL last year. I guess we'll wait and see and hope for the best.

For your own sake, avoid phoning the NCL random answer hotline.

They had Viva Vino on the POA last year, prior to introducing the beverage package to all guests. Just about everything you were told seems to be incorrect.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Firepath said:

Yeah, I knew when the rep asked ME what Viva Vino is that his answers were suspect!

POA did have specials on wine, at least a couple years back.  It was an increasing discount based on number purchased.  Can't recall if called viva vino but I did post details at the time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

The low ball end of the Viva Vino program is $88 for 4 bottles or $22 each

Thus if your own wine brought on board with a corkage charge of $15 costs more than $7

you be the judge if it is worth it to - haul it - lug it - carry it - portage it - whatever it onboard the ship !.....

Still sadly NCL does not relent in allowing BOX vino.

May I point out the gratuity impacts your math?  That low ball end of the Viva Vino program is $88 for 4 bottles has a mandatory 20% gratuity (see fine print at bottom of form), so cost will be $105.60 for 4 bottles or an average of $26.40 per bottle.  (Honestly, that is inexpensive price for cruise ship wine if you happen to like the options offered on the bottom rung, but I suspect many people will not like those wines).  

So, basic subtraction say if you spend $11.40 or less with $15 corkage, your cost is still comparable or below the Viva Vino average....if cost is paramount.   

Of course, on the downside, you must transport it yourself. On the upside, if you buy your own, you can select wines you actually like from a vast selection at a wine retailer (not the short, changeable Viva Vino list) and you can bring the exact number of bottles you desire, not the number the package demands.  

We have done both.  Now that we drive to port, we are more likely to bring favorite wines and pay corkage.

I know about the caps that can recork champagne, but has anyone ever brought splits or bottles smaller than 750 ML? Do they charge less, or maybe $15 for multiples equivalent to 750 ML? 

I don't want to pay $15 for a one or two drink bottle, but it is most convenient. 

3 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

I know about the caps that can recork champagne, but has anyone ever brought splits or bottles smaller than 750 ML? Do they charge less, or maybe $15 for multiples equivalent to 750 ML? 

I don't want to pay $15 for a one or two drink bottle, but it is most convenient. 

Their policy only lists standard bottles and magnums (1.5L)

It's $15 for a standard bottle and twice that for a magnum - I suspect you'll have to pay the $15 for a half-bottle as well.

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/freestyle-cruise/liquor-beverages

2 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

I have not seen anything in the past about this - BUT -

It would seem reasonable to say take 2 375ml splits and pay the 750ml rate of $15

It would be interesting to hear of readers comments experiences

There are wine splits in the mini-fridge on some ships

The wine splits in my view would be single serving for one - the airlines used to sell these in coach

In a conservative sense any 750 ml giving 4 6 ounce servings would be fine for my mate and I for two dining occasions.

And of course YMMV  

My last two NCL cruises out of Manhattan I have had a bottle of wine in my carry-on as directed.  No one asked about it, no one said anything.  No one charged me $15.  I boarded relatively late (not late late, but toward the end of the boarding period) so it wasn't like they were too busy to charge me.  

2 hours ago, billslowsky said:

My last two NCL cruises out of Manhattan I have had a bottle of wine in my carry-on as directed.  No one asked about it, no one said anything.  No one charged me $15.  I boarded relatively late (not late late, but toward the end of the boarding period) so it wasn't like they were too busy to charge me.  

Sometimes the "corkage desk" is not occupied - crew member on break - distracted for other reason.

If you take your unstickered bottle (Paid corkage fee) to a restaurant and it is noticed then too NCL

may levy the corkage there and then maybe look the other way - sticker must have fallen off.

There is bound to be some bottles that slip thru the cracks in the system.

The beverage packages have for the most part reduced "the ahem-cough" smuggling of the spirits on board.

Edited by don't-use-real-name

7 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Sometimes the "corkage desk" is not occupied - crew member on break - distracted for other reason.

If you take your unstickered bottle (Paid corkage fee) to a restaurant and it is noticed then too NCL

may levy the corkage there and then maybe look the other way - sticker must have fallen off.

There is bound to be some bottles that slip thru the cracks in the system.

The beverage packages have for the most part reduced "the ahem-cough" smuggling of the spirits on board.

No, that hasn't been the case, they don't enforce their rule diligently.  I don't take the bottle from my room so the sticker is not an issue.  

1 minute ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Ha, ha!  Now you are just chumming, F27TW

No .. actually I was serious!   Ive heard of it on other boards/ships but never did it myself . . I like having my soda's in the  cabin.  Oh well! ;)

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

And check the size, if it's over 750 ml they may double charge you for it.

Yes the Magnum goes for double - $30 bucks

Liter bottles of wine are rare but shoulda woulda coulda be charged at the 750ml rate

Toting a Magnum around the ship is not quite as convenient as the 750ml

When I think of Magnums I think more in the champagne family than wines

One more question, not about wine. Can you buy the little single-serve bottles of alcohol in the gift shops? My husband likes to add a little something for his aches and pains to his soda in the evening and he isn't on the drink plan, except soda. 

Edited by Firepath