Hand rails...into/outdo the hot tubs!

LuAnn

I talked to Philip on Quest this past week about this request. While I am still pretty "agile" ...my DH is not...and it would be impossible for him to enter and/or exit the "hot tubs' on board the ship. We have 'run across this before" on other lines...but since AZ staff is so good at having "interaction" with their passengers...I decided to express my concern with Philip. 

Philip thought it was a good idea..and of course...something that the "home office' would have to consider....let's face it...getting "in" to the spa is petty ok (at least for me_ but getting OUT of the spa is a whole other "ball game"!! )

What do you all think? Is it hard for you?...and would it help to have a "hand rail" to enter and exit  Just thinking this could help us "seniors" have a better "experience"!!! After "Woodstock"...we all need that right??? :) :) :) ) 

I would certainly support a change of the way we can access the poolside hot tubs.  I like to think I am a younger senior but I have spine and joint issues.  However I would not hold out too much hope.  I did ask this on two ships and was told it was too difficult to do safely.  Lets hope your approach falls on more open ears

• Like 1

I'll be honest LuAnn.  I think if you have mobility issues then I'd avoid the hot tubs altogether. They aren't well designed and there are no hoists to make it better. Strangely, Pursuit is worse than Journey or Quest because of the way the bars are set up near the tub and there seems to be more of a step over. 

The ship will say they will mention it to home office, but let's face it. Nothing will be done. 

Example. I was on a back to back lying on a pool lounger. Within 10 minutes of the new guests joining there was a code Alpha right in front of me. A new guest (he was not in great shape) had slipped and fallen getting into the hot tub. He had his leg bandaged by the doc, went back out on the pool deck and tried to get back in the hot tub with his bandage on!

Keep KK away from the hot tub if either of you are not confident. Azamara will do nothing to improve it, no matter what they might say. 

Phil 

• Like 1

If you have mobility problems should you even be trying to access the so called “hot” tubs?    They are inherently slippery even if you have a rail to get in and out.   If you are at sea the problem is worse!    We avoid public tubs even though we have one at home on our deck.   It’s difficult to keep the chemicals right, much more so than our pool, so I doubt the cleanliness of the ships hot tubs.    It’s best not to rush skin infections or even irritations.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

If you have mobility problems should you even be trying to access the so called “hot” tubs?    They are inherently slippery even if you have a rail to get in and out.   If you are at sea the problem is worse!    We avoid public tubs even though we have one at home on our deck.   It’s difficult to keep the chemicals right, much more so than our pool, so I doubt the cleanliness of the ships hot tubs.    It’s best not to rush skin infections or even irritations.

I was told by a ship officer who I know and trust that the water in the hot tubs is totally clean. Amongst the cleanest on the ship. It's changed every day and treated in such a way that keeps it fresh. I have to say my own experience in them is that the water always looks sparkling clean and I have never had any infections or irritations from using them.  

Phil 

• Like 1

I am  a bit younger than the "average" AZ passenger, and I find the hot tubs a challenge, mainly to get out of. You do really have to be careful because the fiberglass surface can be very slick.

The water always seemed very clean and well chlorinated, I never had a hygiene concern. That being said, I have seen people in there with some skin rashes and other surface ailments, and I am not sure I would use the hot tub in that condition (maybe the chlorine does them good, not sure).

I also don' t like when people have drinks in glass in the hot tub. I imagine that is not allowed, but the deck staff didn't seem to say anything. 

Since the ships are not US registered, I don't think they are subject to ADA requirements, so therefore no lifts, etc.

John R.

• Like 1

Haven't been in a hot tub in years since a friend, who serviced them for a living, said that he wouldn't get in a public hot tub if there was a $1000 bill floating there.  He called them "incubators" and not in a pleasant way.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your ideas/comments. I guess...as I get older...I'm just not ready to "give up" things we did/enjoyed in the past...but thank you for all your comments and advice. Life changes...and that is NOT always easy...but something we have to accept...NOT my "strong suit"!!! :)

20 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I have no mobility issues, but I slipped and had a clumsy entry to the hot tub on Quest. A hand rail would have been great  

Thanks "Mack"...that makes me feel better...I'm not the only one...not is my DH!!! ;)  

i have not managed in them for a few years, I am slightly younger but with a dodgy knee and spine that actually benefits from hot tubs.  I can get in the front deck thalassotherapy pool but if I do not have a suite I have to buy a pass.    A hand rail would be so much better

• Like 2

Can we just say then...that...to "Bonnie" and those "listening" on the AZ boards???..that maybe a consideration for a hand-rail ...in the hot tubs ...in the main area of the ship would be of "consideration"?

Everyone...including me and my DH need to make their own decisions if that is a "wise decision"...but it would sure help ...if we could at least try to "bridge the gap"!!! :) with a "safety rail" to "navigate" those steps..which can be "slippery" steps!!:) Thanks for everyone's input!!! :)

• Like 1