MSC Ocean Cay and Dorian

Fogfog

Was really hoping for a quiet hurricane season.

Fingers crossed Dorian doesn't roll over Ocean Cay and rip out all of the plantings

or destroy the beaches etc before they are even completed 😞

I will be travelling to OC on the opening day so I really hope there won’t be a lot of damage...

But looking on the projected Dorian path I think that it may miss it. But the problem is that Dorian is the strongest hurricane after Andrew (1992) so if it hits the unfinished island I think it will do some serious damage. But all in all I hope Dorian will ease and Florida and all other islands won’t take damage.

Fingers crossed!

1.png

Based on the latest photos from Ocean Cay (8/27) and the published 'caution' from the COO two weeks ago, I highly suspect the opening will be delayed regardless of Dorian.

Add to that the fact that, as of last night, it is reported they have evacuated all the workers. I know I must sound like Debby-downer, but I think it's wise people are prepared in their mindsets. And just because I'd bet against an on-time opening, who knows? You may be pleasantly surprised :)

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 10:54 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Based on the latest photos from Ocean Cay (8/27) and the published 'caution' from the COO two weeks ago, I highly suspect the opening will be delayed regardless of Dorian.

Add to that the fact that, as of last night, it is reported they have evacuated all the workers. I know I must sound like Debby-downer, but I think it's wise people are prepared in their mindsets. And just because I'd bet against an on-time opening, who knows? You may be pleasantly surprised 🙂

Do you have a link to the COO's cautionary note?

1 hour ago, ssmea03 said:

Do you have a link to the COO's cautionary note?

Sure :). From Ken Muscat, COO of MSC dated July 15:  “We’re very anxious to see the finished product. No different from building a house or a ship. We’re cautious of the timeline and opening on November 9.”

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/msc-cruises-eco-friendly-marine-reserve

As it seems, Dorian will miss MSC Ocean Cay and probably even southern part of Florida.

Waves could still do some damage to the island but that defense line was probably build at the first stage of island renovation.

I am still optimistic for November opening 🙂

F6030AA2-5645-4746-8D43-C9DA461C9902.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Domen said:

As it seems, Dorian will miss MSC Ocean Cay and probably even southern part of Florida.

Waves could still do some damage to the island but that defense line was probably build at the first stage of island renovation.

Good for you! Optimism is a beautiful thing :). Please understand, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just don't want to see anyone disappointed if Ocean Cay doesn't open on-time.

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Sure :). From Ken Muscat, COO of MSC dated July 15:  “We’re very anxious to see the finished product. No different from building a house or a ship. We’re cautious of the timeline and opening on November 9.”

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/msc-cruises-eco-friendly-marine-reserve

I have a certain amount of experience with large construction projects, and I will be very surprised if the island doesn't open on time. Providing it doesn't suffer from a hurricane between now and November.

The time for delays is long passed. Now they will be pulling all the stops out to be ready for Mereviglia. That doesn't mean I think everything will be working when she gets there. But I am of the opinion they are determined it will open on time.

7 hours ago, Domen said:

F6030AA2-5645-4746-8D43-C9DA461C9902.jpeg

Your graphic is optimistic as well.  Check back Tuesday.  

Edited by GratefulRIC

4 hours ago, GratefulRIC said:

Your graphic is optimistic as well.  Check back Tuesday.  

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/storm-tracker/

I track the hurricane on link above. 

Latest projection are good. It might even miss the States or at least loose some fierceness till then. Northern Bahamas are dead on track tho... 

With a cat 5 Dorean making direct hits on Abacus and Grand Bahama, causing massive devistation. I believe all construction crews will be diverted to emergency work immediately post storm. I now think Dorean will likely cause an opening delay, even if Ocean Cay has been left largely unscathed. The manpower will no longer be available to finish the island on time.

4 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

My plans for OC stretch until 2021 now at the earliest with all I have booked, so not sour grapes, but................

If you were a betting man/woman, who knows MSC (good and bad) ...what odds would you lay or take for the opening on time?

My bet would be 50/50, there won't be any work done this week, possibly nothing next week. And even when work starts again, it won't be able to proceed at the same pace as before the hurricane.

9 hours ago, ssmea03 said:

My bet would be 50/50, there won't be any work done this week, possibly nothing next week. And even when work starts again, it won't be able to proceed at the same pace as before the hurricane.

Yes agreed. As the Fox suggests above it will have an impact potentially.

For the early bookings I hope it hap[pens but MSC life is unpredictable as we all know.

I'm going odds 2/1 and sticking to a 2021 booking lol

On 8/29/2019 at 9:37 PM, Fogfog said:

Was really hoping for a quiet hurricane season.

Fingers crossed Dorian doesn't roll over Ocean Cay and rip out all of the plantings

or destroy the beaches etc before they are even completed 😞

I was hoping for a quiet hurricane season too! But, you know it ain't over til the fat lady sings....or in this case Nov.30th. We have been having a lot more rain than usual in Florida this summer but fortunately only a few tropical storms until now. Sept is typically the worst month.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 10:54 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Add to that the fact that, as of last night, it is reported they have evacuated all the workers. I know I must sound like Debby-downer, but I think it's wise people are prepared in their mindsets. And just because I'd bet against an on-time opening, who knows? You may be pleasantly surprised 🙂

It is my understanding that all of the workers were evacuated so that they could get to their homes to prepare for the impact of Dorian on the islands they live on.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ssmea03 said:

With a cat 5 Dorean making direct hits on Abacus and Grand Bahama, causing massive devistation. I believe all construction crews will be diverted to emergency work immediately post storm. I now think Dorean will likely cause an opening delay, even if Ocean Cay has been left largely unscathed. The manpower will no longer be available to finish the island on time.

Ocean Cay was scheduled to be open by my last cruise on the Seaside this past December. Unfortunately the island opening was delayed, largely in part, due to the destruction caused in the area from hurricanes Irma and Maria last year. Even though I am looking forward to seeing this beach day island completed I am more concerned about the destruction that has been caused on Grand Bahama island (Freeport) and in the Abaco Islands. My prayers go out to all the families living in that area. Marsh Harbor Great Abaco and Hope Town are such beautiful areas of the Bahama chain. I have fond memories of visiting there some years ago. I wish them safety and a rapid recovery. Ocean Cay is significantly further south and west of the area being plummeted by Dorian right now.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

My plans for OC stretch until 2021 now at the earliest with all I have booked, so not sour grapes, but................

If you were a betting man/woman, who knows MSC (good and bad) ...what odds would you lay or take for the opening on time?

The only bet I'd take at this point is that when it does open (2020 cof cof), it will remain a construction site for the first several sailings. 

3 hours ago, lovemycrazy cats said:

It is my understanding that all of the workers were evacuated so that they could get to their homes to prepare for the impact of Dorian on the islands they live on.

That is accurate based on my understanding also, and largely protocol for all major cruise line private islands.

The destruction in the Northern Bahama's is incomprehensible. I plan to drop off recovery supplies today at our local red cross. Heartbreaking.

• Like 1

Dorian has be a nightmare of a storm and will have altered the Bahamas permanently. 

Reefs/dunes/beaches will have been altered/destroyed. Trees are gone. Wildlife.

It is a storm that will be talked about for generations. 

The video and pics from the Abacos are terrible. 

We have friends who spend a great deal of time in the West End and Marsh Harbor etc. They tell us it is far worse --  Dorian has been parked there for a day+

I suspect that Ocean Cay will not be open til next spring-- that there has been significant damage from the seas.. and that the men/construction workers etc will be called to the cleanup/rebuilding of the country. 

It is possible I suppose that they can choose to build at O.C (which will house permanent workers at OC) as there will be shelter/food etc there.

Am certain MSC will release more information at an appropriate time 

Keeping the people of the Bahamas in our prayers.  

And praying Dorian goes out to sea and we don't get hit

• Like 1

I would be shocked if its not open by Jan 1st.

The current timing is November 9th.  They'd have to miss the mark by 3 weeks to not have it open for December 1st, and a full 7 weeks to not have it open for NYE.  It would be absolutely horrible PR for them to miss the mark that badly in a market they're desperately trying to get a stable foothold within.

My sailing is Feb 29, 2020, and I have zero worries that we will be visiting OC as scheduled in March.

41 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Dorian has be a nightmare of a storm and will have altered the Bahamas permanently. 

Reefs/dunes/beaches will have been altered/destroyed. Trees are gone. Wildlife.

It is a storm that will be talked about for generations. 

The video and pics from the Abacos are terrible. 

We have friends who spend a great deal of time in the West End and Marsh Harbor etc. They tell us it is far worse --  Dorian has been parked there for a day+

I suspect that Ocean Cay will not be open til next spring-- that there has been significant damage from the seas.. and that the men/construction workers etc will be called to the cleanup/rebuilding of the country. 

It is possible I suppose that they can choose to build at O.C (which will house permanent workers at OC) as there will be shelter/food etc there.

Am certain MSC will release more information at an appropriate time 

Keeping the people of the Bahamas in our prayers.  

And praying Dorian goes out to sea and we don't get hit

Only the outward bands hit Ocean Cay.  While Grand Bahamas and Freeport was hit badly, Ocean Cay is located 85 miles to the southwest, which was largely avoided by the storm.  It even sounds like Freeport was largely avoided, with all lines expected to resume their sailings there within the next couple weeks.