MSC Ocean Cay and Dorian

Fogfog

1 hour ago, Beardface said:

Only the outward bands hit Ocean Cay.  While Grand Bahamas and Freeport was hit badly, Ocean Cay is located 85 miles to the southwest, which was largely avoided by the storm.  It even sounds like Freeport was largely avoided, with all lines expected to resume their sailings there within the next couple weeks.

Because the storms is 160 miles wide-- thats why I feel the OC will have had some weather/seas.

Here's a post of pics 

The Bahamas are destroyed

It’s going to be fine. The Nassau port is already reopening for cruise ships, and Ocean Cay is far away from that. I’ve already read at least one Facebook post from someone at the corporate headquarters and they say Ocean Cay will open on time. Media reports have been sloppy and imprecise, when they say “The Bahamas” have been damaged, they don’t say that The Bahamas are comprised of a chain of 700 islands stretching out over 500 miles. 

11 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Because the storms is 160 miles wide-- thats why I feel the OC will have had some weather/seas.

Here's a post of pics 

The Bahamas are destroyed

Those pictures are from Hope Town, to the West of Grand Bahama where the eye basically made landfall over the weekend.  Damage is going to be significant in that area.  Much less so 85 miles to the southwest where Ocean Cay was only periodically whipped by the bands.

Don't get me wrong, the damage to Grand Bahama and the immediate surrounding areas where the storm say are going to be significantly impacted, but specifically for Ocean Cay, and even Nassau, it looks like they avoided the worst of it.

And lastly, if the storm is 160 miles wide, and Ocean Cay is 85 miles southwest of Freeport, where the eye of the storm has been hovering to the east/northeast of, then that meant that Ocean Cay is at least 5 miles outside the edge of the storm itself.

Edited by Beardface

As mentioned the only delay would be because of the labour force and materials, which would be needed for rebuilding the northern parts of Bahamas.

But at the end of the day, Bahamian economy is comprised mostly by tourism, so they will try to get tourists back as soon as they can so they get the economy up and running. No wonder Nassau is welcoming tourist ships so soon after the hurricane.

• Like 1

One thing I'm wondering about is this: there are only so many people who can work simultaneously, say, on Grand Bahama or the Abaco Islands. I would imagine the logistics of getting people in there, having a place for them to sleep, eat, etc as they work would be gargantuan. Wouldn't it be possible that work will simply carry on at Ocean Cay as normal? I don't know the answer to this question, I'm just wondering. If memory serves, a hospital ship was stationed off the coast of Puerto Rico in 2017 to help provide medical assistance (or was it Sint Maarten?). Anyway, as @Domen pointed out, the tourism trade is vital for the Bahamian economy so let's hope ships can start sailing there again and provide some needed revenue. 

Recent comments from the Bahamian Prime Minister as reported by CNN:

"Bahamas Prime Minister Hubert Minnis told CNN on Tuesday that "people need to know that the Bahamas have been attacked by a vicious devastating storm.” 

Speaking to CNN’s Chris Cuomo, Minnis said Hurricane Dorian has "caused severe damage to two of our major islands that is Abaco and Grand Bahama.”

“New Povidence (the island where Nassau is located and much closer to Ocean Cay) which is the engine and touristic center of the Bahamas has not been touched and is still functional, that is our economic engine for the entire Bahamas and New Providence will have to rebuild those two islands," he added."

So it sounds like Ocean Cay should be fine (it is on approximately the same latitude as New Providence and much further west from Dorian's track).

USA Today has an article listing a wide variety of charities accepting donations expressly to aid the people of the Bahamas if anyone is interested:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/09/03/hurricane-dorian-destroyed-bahamas-heres-how-you-can-help/2194099001/

Edited by capriccio

MSC update September 3, 2019 6 PM (EST)

Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, Bahamas
With safety at the forefront of our minds MSC Cruises decided to evacuate all personnel from Ocean Cay by Friday August 30th. As soon as we had visibility on Hurricane Dorian’s potential path, everyone was moved to safer areas. Fortunately, Ocean Cay is located away from the area that was hit the hardest by the hurricane, and according to our webcam images, the island has not sustained any noteworthy damages. A full assessment of the site will be conducted on Thursday. We will be resuming the works in the following days. Our thoughts are with those who have been impacted by Hurricane Dorian and particularly the people of The Bahamas and the islands in the affected region at this very difficult time.

• Like 3

The devastation from Dorian has been horrible.

Lets remember--the Bahamas are not a US state--they are part of the British Commonwealth.

The country remains part of the British Commonwealth of Nations and recognizes the British QUEEN as the head of state.

Where are the sentiments of Khan (London)? Is he calling for Londoners to donate to the cause to rebuild the Bahamas?,

The Royals? Beyond the Queen's statement of sympathies... will they give to the cause? Less private jetting for Harry and money sent to the Bahamas effort?  And Parliament -- what will they budget for the people of the Bahamas?

Where are the efforts of the British Navy etc to bring food/supplies?

How much is the UK spending to support the rebuilding of the Bahamas? Have not seen anything in the press.

British Govt have sent humanitarian experts to assess plus they have a British Royal Navy auxiliary ship (RFA Mounts Bay) positioned there to help if required. The ship is already fully equipped with food, water carriers, hygiene kits, first aid etc
The Government have said once the experts have assessed what is required further relevant supplies, people (engineers, builders etc) will be sent.They are working in tandem with the Bahamian Government.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Lets remember--the Bahamas are not a US state--they are part of the British Commonwealth.

The country remains part of the British Commonwealth of Nations and recognizes the British QUEEN as the head of state.

Where are the sentiments of Khan (London)? Is he calling for Londoners to donate to the cause to rebuild the Bahamas?,

The Royals? Beyond the Queen's statement of sympathies... will they give to the cause? Less private jetting for Harry and money sent to the Bahamas effort?  And Parliament -- what will they budget for the people of the Bahamas?

How much is the UK spending to support the rebuilding of the Bahamas? Have not seen anything in the press.

The British people are compassionate.  I have no doubt that the Government will respond with the utmost speed and will assist the Bahamian people with their recovery efforts.  Snide comments about the Brits and their Royals, less than one day after such a devastating storm, are not helpful. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

British Govt have sent humanitarian experts to assess plus they have a British Royal Navy auxiliary ship (RFA Mounts Bay) positioned there to help if required. The ship is already fully equipped with food, water carriers, hygiene kits, first aid etc
The Government have said once the experts have assessed what is required further relevant supplies, people (engineers, builders etc) will be sent.They are working in tandem with the Bahamian Government.

I saw that article too. It was interesting to read that the British Royal Navy as a matter of course has a ship stationed in the Caribbean every hurricane season.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Good to know because its not been in the MSM

Only thing from MSM has been Khan's comments (not helpful) instead of his urging LOndoners to pony up funds

It most definitely was in the mainstream media in the USA on September 1st.  I read it on CNN's hurricane feed (https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news/hurricane-dorian-september-2019/h_3b29b5dc02528369b4ca2cdfe2bf6915?fbclid=IwAR1J2ByhltUByVBaCXPcTJkO2x4wb7Vsd0D6eptcEjBYxVCa5nPhFz1LJSM).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fogfog said:

I don't normally comment on these type of quotes but this bothers me as it is not helpful and is inflammatory. 

Firstly while the US gives more money to foreign aid than anyone else,  the UK Govt. gives more as a percentage of GDP than the US, so we more than do our bit. 

The people in the Bahamas do not pay UK taxes and are a completely separate country with their own laws and Government, they simply recognize the Queen as their head of state. We have no financial responsibly I am aware of to them either, other than as fellow human beings of course.

I will be on Seaside over Christmas and hope to go to Ocean Cay, if however I cannot due to delays caused by this terrible storm I certainly won't be complaining.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

My question has always been -  where do all the port fees go in the Bahamas?  With all the money that goes there it isn't evident.

I believe the OC is  like a 100 yr lease.... so perhaps the fees go to that "lease"

The Bahamas still own the land and after the lease--the property and its improvements revert back to the Bahamas

News reported that the US Coast Guard, the UN and Red Cross were on site for aid. No reports for the "Royal Navy"

I don't see anything inflammatory in asking where the Royals are, Khan (who instead of encouraging Londoners to give/support relief was bashing a US President) , or if Parliament was working to pass emergency aid....

25 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

I believe the OC is  like a 100 yr lease.... so perhaps the fees go to that "lease"

The Bahamas still own the land and after the lease--the property and its improvements revert back to the Bahamas

News reported that the US Coast Guard, the UN and Red Cross were on site for aid. No reports for the "Royal Navy"

I don't see anything inflammatory in asking where the Royals are, Khan (who instead of encouraging Londoners to give/support relief was bashing a US President) , or if Parliament was working to pass emergency aid....

I have no idea where you are getting your news.  I have seen several reports showing Royal Navy helicopters picking up hurricane survivors and depositing them at the Nassau Airport.  Also noted was the British Red Cross mobilizing their efforts.   The Bahamian Government requested our assistance, which is logical since we are in the close proximity to the islands.  Perhaps you also missed the very moving reports of Chef Jose Andre, closing his restaurant in The Atlantis, to feed the survivors by mobilizing hotel guests to make sandwiches and breakfast foods.  Our national media is rather busy with stories about Hurricane Dorian striking the US Coast, our President falsifying NOAH's hurricane maps and the shootings in Midland.  You might want to read British newspapers, such as the London Times, or check out BBC's broadcasts to educate yourself about Britain's role in the relief efforts.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As I don't read US papers or get to see the news abroad, I am unsure what the world knows about what is happening in the UK right now, the hurricane doesn't even get second billing over here right now.

At this moment in time we have no functioning Government, there are no laws or issue being discussed beyond Brexit, and a snap general election.

As to what the royal navy is doing, all you have to do is google it.

here is a link to a news article in the daily telegraph

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/navy-ship-delivering-aid-to-hurricanehit-communities-in-bahamas-38470472.html

lets hope it isn't fake news

They have sent a RFA ship to aid and supply to hurricane area in the Bahamas.

RFA is Royal Fleet  Auxillary , this was on BBC news at lunch time .

FogFog please get the correct information or refrain from posting Fake News 

Edited by emmas gran
Addition
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Serial Tequila said:

As I don't read US papers or get to see the news abroad, I am unsure what the world knows about what is happening in the UK right now, the hurricane doesn't even get second billing over here right now.

At this moment in time we have no functioning Government, there are no laws or issue being discussed beyond Brexit, and a snap general election.

As to what the royal navy is doing, all you have to do is google it.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/navy-ship-delivering-aid-to-hurricanehit-communities-in-bahamas-38470472.html

You can be assured that our news media is covering what is happening in Parliament.  I truly hope that some resolution happens quickly.  Three years is a long time for a Country to be in limbo. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nashna said:

You can be assured that our news media is covering what is happening in Parliament.  I truly hope that some resolution happens quickly.  Three years is a long time for a Country to be in limbo. 

Hopefully we are not quite yet the laughing stock of the entire world. (Although maybe we should be).

Still, in the midst of talking about the devastation in the Bahamas, Brexit really is a 1st World problem so I thank my lucky stars.

3 hours ago, Serial Tequila said:

Provided it is not sourced from PTs' favouriteFox News, we can be sure it is NOT fake news.

On 9/3/2019 at 6:37 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

The only bet I'd take at this point is that when it does open (2020 cof cof), it will remain a construction site for the first several sailings. 

That is accurate based on my understanding also, and largely protocol for all major cruise line private islands.

The destruction in the Northern Bahama's is incomprehensible. I plan to drop off recovery supplies today at our local red cross. Heartbreaking.

The devastation in the Abacos and on Grand Bahama is really heartbreaking. Having been to both places several times it is very saddening for me. I really loved visiting Hope Town, such an idyllic place with pastel colored homes and white picket fences. Now, that may just be a memory. That is very generous of you to donate goods to the Red Cross. They need all the help they can get! Right now the problem is being able to get deliveries there . I may follow your lead!